Cutting the parcel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2003, 03:15   #1 (permalink)
Homeless Tree

Arrow Cutting the parcel

Does anybody know the legalities of cutting the parcel shelf

Every other time i have put speakers in (Pezzas and freinds cars) i have cut the shelf/doors.

I've got some x-plod 6x9's to chuck in my EAII (when i can afford a decent head unit), but of course it was engineered without good sound it mind and has 6's, i am going to cut them in but was just wondering where i stand in doing so..

what have others done

cause the shelf has been engineered, and wouldnt then altering it mean its a modifation so VicRoads will want to know and all?? (i dont think it is really that important but)

(oh yeah and pods just dont give enough definition for my likes, so i wouldnt think of suing them)
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2003, 03:20   #2 (permalink)
Village Idiot

I think it illegal because you are altering the cars structure(?). In the same book as cutting the roof off your car.
Everyone does it but:)

Ring ya local cop shop.
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 03:34   #3 (permalink)

A Performance Ford Magazine issue had this stating it was illegal to cut the parcel tray as it was structural. Apparently the doors are O.K.

I'm not at home at the moment so I can't post the article.
If anyone out there has the issue it may be worth posting.
miks4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 04:32   #4 (permalink)
EFXR62

Very illegal, and, it f%%^s up the overall strength of the car in the rear.. I remember reading something like that on the car audio australia site..
Old 05-24-2003, 00:37   #5 (permalink)
cArSiK

it dosent alter strength much if at all. Your cutting a tiny bit on each side of the 6'' hole. File it back nice and you will never notice the differance. Mine look like it came from the factory with 6x9 holes in the p/shelf.

james
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 01:25   #6 (permalink)
Homeless Tree

mad

Dont know about that, i had a close look at the metal at it has been strengthened all around the 6" hole, (the bends in the metal extremely strengthen the metal).

also after a little searching i deciding i will sell my 6x9 and buy some rounds, it is "illegal", sure most people/police wont care, but id rather not have my car canaried over the damn speakers..
Old 05-24-2003, 01:42   #7 (permalink)

I used a nibbler to make my speaker holes bigger and they didn't cut into the bends and steps on the parcel shelf. I would imagine that the parcel shelf is designed to take 6 and 6x9 speakers by looking at where they do go after you have cut the holes. I have had no problems with my car since I did it. Never really occured to me it would alter the structure of the car, however, does this mean you seriously have to go out and get an engineers' just to fit speakers? I should hope not.... Anyways, I think its ok as long as you don't cut holes big enough to climb into...lol
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub