Dammit! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 21:36   #1 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Dammit!

Spent who knows how many hours changing out or installing blue loom and blue silicon vacuum lines in my truck. Fired it up, coughed and sputter. Ran diagnostics, showed low coil voltage. Damn, Distributor cap was also warped, there was a crack in the ignition module, and I had no clue on the the life of the plugs and wires. What the hell, $200 later, new MSD coil and distributor cap and rotor, new Accel ignition module, Bosch platinum plugs, and yellow Ford Racing wires I expect to be running fine. Nope, I knew wire orientation would make an engine run funky, not that funky. Damn. Found the diagram, replicated my wires, things ran a little better, but still stumbling. Damn.

Today was the annual truck show, that I had intended to go to. Last night I figured, I can deal with a little roughness, I'll look into it later, have to make her look nice for the truck show. Took her out, gave her a bath, even cleaned the engine. Get up this morning, go to turn her over... no fuel pump. Damn. I have 3 relays in an after market harness, it came with the truck. I know the PCM relay, sits by the PCM on the passenger kickboard. The other two are under the hood with no evidence of their identities. Wire color code doesn't match the pinout. One's warm with 12V on only one pin when the key's in the "on" position. Must be a blown fusible link. Saw a few during the loom change, nothing near the relay. Damn. Time to go hunting.

After not finding a fusible link in the harness, I end up going to the fuel pump and start chasing backwards. Apparently my hot wire follows the path of a black snake as I end up tearing my dash apart and follow a nondescript red wire through my dash back over to the PCM where it bugs into a wire that goes out to the OTHER relay. Damn. At least I know know where they change colors. I later determined that the first relay is open when energized. No clue, not on any schematics. I open to all suggestions.

Anyway, the CORRECT relay is toast, remember the bath? Apparently, the weather proof relays aren't all that weather proof. Damn. So I hop online and see if someplace has something I can replace it with. Only place that was promising was Advanced, located within 4 miles from where the sold out Farm-Aid concert was going on. Damn. I take the round about back way that took my about 3 times longer than if I took the direct path, but I know the traffic jam that Farm-Aid would cause. They had the correct relay! Ever notice that when you're in a rush, every slug in the neighborhood has to get in front of you? And if you DO manage to pass them, you end up at a red light. Damn.

Finally get home, drop in the relay, test fire the truck, it RUNS... but just a little rough. Just a little. So, I put everything back together, including re-looming all the wire torn apart looking for the fusible link that I never found, and now it's after 3 PM. So much for the show. What the hell, after all that work, maybe I'll cruise by and see if they're still hanging out. The weather's beautiful considering they predicted rain. Remember it idled a little rough? Under load, it's much rougher. Damn. Also could hear a ping or knock from the passenger side head... Damn.Drop a lifter or rocker? Means I'm going to have to pull the intake manifold to pull the valve cover.

Got a hold of a buddy of mine who said he had a compression tester, over there I go. I get there, toss him the keys and asked him to "experience" it. We take a short run for coffee and he's not impressed either (he was in the truck with me while I was running broadside and smoking tires in Lake George during the Adirondack Nationals, he knows she don't run like this). Of course, he can't find his compression tester, but he's got a reader that's much better than mine (I have a $45 cheapo, his runs about $750). Coughs up faulty purge solenoid (don't have one, kinda expect it), EGR? O2 Bank 2 lean?? BPS out of range??? Double Damn! I have a vacuum leak. Damn.

I'm figuring either lower intake manifold on the driver's side or, more likely (since I'm not losing coolant), an injector. I was wiggling them while looming and taping. On the brighter side of things, the intake won't be in the way and I'll be able to look at my valve train.

Damn.
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 03:59   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Dammit!

The joys of motoring , you're going to be busy , best of luck .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:32   #3 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Dammit!

Actually, I enjoyed the work, I just had to give up an activity that I would much rather had been doing.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub