Damn Cops - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2001, 00:21   #1 (permalink)
100% Speeding (when safe)

Damn Cops

Did you see on the TV just then that last month during the police work bans in Victoria, where they said they wont issue infringments, there were actually 50% more fines, and 400% more people who lost their licence!!.
Some people were obviously going a bit faster, but i notice even with this there was of course no more crashes!!, no extra deaths, you get my drift!!. More money for them, no more crashes, and we were gettng around a bit quicker.

This annoys me!!
What is it with speeding tickets, It acually causes only 2-3 % of crashes, yet the cops target it in probably 70% of cases, what about not giving way!!, what about people that cant see, etc, It s just the easiest way for them to make money.

What do you wreckon?
ED Manual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2001, 00:51   #2 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Sadly, as long as it's creating "easy money", the excrement we know as politicians will keep it running as long as they can. Simple as that. Money making wrapped in a hypocritical veil of "Road Safety"... :fmad:
Old 10-01-2001, 01:28   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I reckon the cops dont get the money and it all goes into consolidated revenue so accusing the cops of trying to raise more revenue for themselves is wrong.

As far as more people speeding not casuing deaths .. well more people got caught does that mean that more people got away with speeding (and lived to tell the tale ) or more people were silly enough to believe that it was a free for all on the roads and got busted ?? the argument goes both ways.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 02:47   #4 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Speed is chased by the poliuticians and cops because it's easy to enforce with hi tech equipment. Unroadworthy cars are far more labour intensive to catch and would reap less revenue.

A close friend of the family is a long time member of the ACT Parliament (still current). They made it quite clear at a dinner we had at home that even before they introduced the speed cameras parliament had evaluated the revenue and budgeted for it. The revenue achieved to date has even exceeded their own expectations!

Problem with cameras etc is it takes away the ability of the police to evaluate, apply discretion, and take in the whole situation of the offence. I spped like a b*stard splitting a bank robbery most of the time and I'm still here so go figure.

To the pollies and highway patrol - get stuffed! Wake up and smell the Optimax!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 03:07   #5 (permalink)
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks

AMEN Aussie Pete! It's not speed that kills per se, it's inappropriate speed for the conditions that kill. Instead of focussing on the mechanical roadworthiness of cars, fundamental driver training and sh**ty roads, the politician scum take the easy option and make a killing (no pun intended). I reckon keep the current posted limits but allow a residential 15km/h buffer (i.e. fine only those caught above 75 in a 60 zone), and a 20 km/h buffer on freeways/highways (i.e. fine those above 130 in a 110 zone etc). Then people would'nt fall asleep on the highway. Pollies don't care about the public. They allow pokies (which ruin heaps of people who get hooked not to mention their families) cos of the tax revenue. They also take the easy option with road safety whilst watching the money pour in. As long as the fundamentals of road safety are ignored (the quality of cars and roads, thorough driver training, drink driving) people will continue to die. Speed cameras do jacksh*t for road safety.
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 03:20   #6 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Sh*tty roads aren't an issue. Good drivers should adapt to the conditions presented to them. The roads are an issue for the sake of my car though - not good for alloy rims around parts of Sydney.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 03:27   #7 (permalink)

BTW, forgot to say that I 100% support the cops in regards to drink driving, which is a curse on the roads. But fining people on busy arterial roads that do not have body counts, or even figure as accident blackspots and which tend to be flat (or even downhill), for exceeding an artificially low limit by all of 5 km/h, in order fund politicians wages and super, quite simply, makes me want to vomit.
I read in motor mag that a physics professor said that you're safer on the road keeping up with the natural flow of the traffic, rather than just sitting religiously on a given posted limit (thus providing a moving obstacle for others). Moreover if a downpour hits hard and a road gets partially flooded or overly slippery am I safer blindly sticking to the posted limit or rather driving to the conditions which means possibly slowing to a speed lower than that posted. As I said previously, driving for the conditions can work both ways. Speed limits should be advisory rather than gospel truth and a buffer should be incorporated in the fining process as I previously stated.

Sorry for crapping on but as a car lover who lives for driving, this is something I'm passionate about.
Old 10-01-2001, 03:45   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
Sh*tty roads aren't an issue. Good drivers should adapt to the conditions presented to them. The roads are an issue for the sake of my car though - not good for alloy rims around parts of Sydney.
By sh*tty roads I mean blackspots, and I assert that they are an issue. Since almost anyone can get a licence with relative ease in this country, consequently not all drivers on our roads are 'good'. Moreover, since the governments are robbing drivers blindly, then the least they could do is pour some money back into the roads so as to prevent some of the abovementioned not 'good' drivers out there from having accidents on roads where their meagre skill quickly sees them out of their depth. I stand by my reasoning.
Old 10-01-2001, 04:21   #9 (permalink)
BSR

Quote:
Originally posted by HP Dude
AMEN Aussie Pete! It's not speed that kills per se, it's inappropriate speed for the conditions that kill. Instead of focussing on the mechanical roadworthiness of cars, fundamental driver training and sh**ty roads, the politician scum take the easy option and make a killing (no pun intended). I reckon keep the current posted limits but allow a residential 15km/h buffer (i.e. fine only those caught above 75 in a 60 zone), and a 20 km/h buffer on freeways/highways (i.e. fine those above 130 in a 110 zone etc). Then people would'nt fall asleep on the highway. Pollies don't care about the public. They allow pokies (which ruin heaps of people who get hooked not to mention their families) cos of the tax revenue. They also take the easy option with road safety whilst watching the money pour in. As long as the fundamentals of road safety are ignored (the quality of cars and roads, thorough driver training, drink driving) people will continue to die. Speed cameras do jacksh*t for road safety.

mmm .....inappropriate speeds for the conditions. So if the conditions are perfect. What should the speed be????

I have seen many people killed in late model, well maintained cars killed in what could be described as perfect conditions.

Dickheads dont just drive unroadworthy vehicles........:rolleyes:

This is something that usually effects me everytime i go to work, just wish i had some answers.........i am continously amased how bad some people are on our roads:eek:

Safe driving

12/03 FPV GT 725
XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 04:45   #10 (permalink)

I am not saying that it's fine for people to drive as fast as they want. Never have, never will. I would not excuse someone hooning at 150 km/h down any residential/suburban road. And yes dickheads come in all shapes and sizes and drive all types of cars.

Did you read everything else i wrote in my posts?

As i stated, a speed limit should be advisory and anything more than 15km/h in excess of that posted limit should be subject to a punishment, etc. But nabbing people for being barely 5km/h over the limit on a nice stretch of road and then arguing that you are saving lives is an absolute load of BS and a disgrace. And this is exactly what governments are doing.

Obviously people are still dying are they not? All people do is look out for the cameras, slow down as they pass, and then speed up down the road. How is that addressing the road toll. Road safety does not lend itself to a singular solution, it's a multifaceted issue. I completely disagree with the politicisation of speed as a means of revenue raising.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub