Damn Stamp Duty!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2004, 03:12   #1 (permalink)

Damn Stamp Duty!!

Well i just found out today that if i buy the car im looking at i have to pay $600 stamp duty (4% value of the car) on top of what i pay for the car itself when i transfer the rego/car etc under my name!!

Is there anyway around this at all? thats alot of money that i dont want the stupid government to get it, when it could be spent on the car! do people in other states apart form Vic also have to pay stamp duty on used car private sales?
frd_pwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2004, 03:48   #2 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Re: Damn Stamp Duty!!

I beleive its nation wide. Its a rip off really. Sometimes private sales people will write the invoice out for less to avoid paying as much stamp duty.

If its a dealer, I'd be tellin him if he wants the sale he foots the cost of the stamp duty.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:23   #3 (permalink)
No longer around

you could always do what i did, get the seller to put a much cheaper dollar amount of the car on the paperwork....according to what vicroads know my car cost me $3500
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 18:58   #4 (permalink)

hahah!
i wish i hada thought of that, i can't remember what mine was, something stupidly expensive, and then i had to pay rego a month later!
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 19:15   #5 (permalink)
BOFH

Years ago when I bought my XD I had 3 lots of paperwork. The correct ones for my records - about $6500 if I remember right(This was back in 1989, that was very cheap for an XD at the time) , one where the XD was worth about $3000 for the stamp duty and one where the XD was worth about $8500 for the bank loan so I didnt need to come up with a deposit!

Ahhh, the good old days

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 19:24   #6 (permalink)
No longer around

hehe yeah thats about wat i did ive got 2 lots of paperwork one saying 5,500 and one saying 3,500
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 19:37   #7 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

When I bought the car I picked the crap out of it beting the price down. After I got the guy to agree to fix things (including a new windscreen to replace the one with a huge crack which was suppsedly RWC-able). I asked him to work out the total cost and when he was doing so I told him to take off the stamp duty. They get quite snakey when you do things like that. I was the one with the money so they were going to have to work to get it. I just sat there and refused to agree to paying it. I knew the car had been at the yard for a while and since they wern't a volume seller they probably needed the sale. I got all the exscuses under the sun why they couldnt pay the stamp duty - illigal, blah blah, theyed be losing money on the car et. Guy could not show me the books to confirm so I told him either he shows me the books on the car and I pay it or he pays it or I walk out the door. They hate that.

Ever noticed how car dealers write out the sale agreement AS FAST AS THEY POSSIBLY CAN?
Old 02-01-2004, 19:17   #8 (permalink)

I'm not buying from a dealer so can't really haggle too much about stamp duty. Thats not a bad idea lowering the sale price on the form to reduce stamp duty however do vicroads investigate these amounts? what would happen if they found out he sale price was false, like do they investiagte amounts that are under market value? reason im asking is the market value of the car im considering is $14 700 and its not really worth lowering the price unless its put at about $12 000 which is considerably under-valued?
frd_pwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 19:25   #9 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

14,700 in top condition right, so prices will go from $10,000 to $14,000 pending condition, so droping 2,700 to 12,000 is not that bad.

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 14:50   #10 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

In NSW you just write on the rego paper what you paid for..its heaps easier to get the person to write down a much less figure in a private sale to save you $$$, dealers, not so likely.

I think its 3% in NSW...well it wa last year anyway.
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub