David Flint : Too much power..... ????? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Should Aussie V8's be able to beat Evo's/STi's/M3's... or is that too fast ?
Woh nelly... thats too fast for me 1 2.00%
Gimme some kw's so I can smack their ass's 42 84.00%
I think power levels shouldn't climb much higher 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2001, 01:59   #1 (permalink)
Jaguar X-Type

David Flint : Too much power..... ?????

Dave Flint waxing lyrical regarding the power in cars....

Quote:
"I think it's (350kW) scary, very scary,
particularly in a car like that," he said.
HSV general manager Chris Payne said he
was surprised by Mr Flint’s comments.
“It’s quite an odd thing to say because we are
both in the same game,” he said.
Quote:
He said there were both environmental and
road safety arguments that could be used
against high-powered cars.
"There's the environmentalists that say you
are using too much gas, your engines are too
big; there's the safety guys that say there is a
correlation between road accidents and speed,"
Quote:
He would not rule out a 300kW T-Series to
match HSV's range-topping SV300, although
he was not enthusiastic about the prospect.
Quote:
Mr Flint has consistently warned against
HSV and Tickford becoming involved in a
"I don't actually think we need to go too
much further, we've taken a chassis that is really
superlative and given the customer the torque
and power characteristics they say they are
looking for, I just wonder about the necessity to
go any further."
One thing which should be highlighted here... every Japanese and German automobile manufacturer is allowed to build even faster cars. I don't see why we shouldn't be able to lineup at the lights and be able to blow a WRX/M3/Evo into the grass.

HSV has been on a power war with them, not ford.... because until recently Ford wasn't even playing the game. For providing a home grown competitor vs foreign machines, and ending the run of Australian cars being the laughing stock of the performance scene, they should be thanked.

PS. Vote up top
SnaggS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2001, 02:10   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

The limp dicks that think that speed is the devil can do things to stop ford and holden making faster cars .. but they cant stop the japanese etc.
Whilst I am happy with speed limits as they are (except the 50kmh) I think its the attitude of the driver that makes them dangerous .... a sh!t driver is lethal in a 120Y or a TS50
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 02:33   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

300 kw is HSVs top model now it was top 2 years ago but will it be top in a year i dont think so. The new GTS is almost certain to go up yet again in power when it is released early next year leaving room for the SS and Clubsport to go up to counter and try beat Barra late next year. New Ts look to be more than good enough to take on a Clubby but HSV wont stay still so lets hope David realises that being second in the power stakes costs sales. I hope they dont finalise AV GTs power untill they see the next GTS. Appart from the odd squirt at times it people driving slow cars that are always trying to prove something IMO. I want power but if Ford can build a GT with 310kw that can beat a 350kw GTS then thats good too.
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 02:36   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by XA coupe
.... a sh!t driver is lethal in a 120Y or a TS50
All too true XA. For sure a bad driver is dangerous in any vehicle.
At least cars like the Tickford cars and HSV have been done over in the handling and braking department, to compliment the abundant power levels.
You see some very scary sh!tboxes on the roads every day, and these things going at 50K are more dangerous than a T series doing 100k.
As for the power levels, I reckon 300KW is a nice figure for the T series package, a lot safer than the same figure in an old XY or something that's for sure.
Russell.
Rastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 02:46   #5 (permalink)
Jaguar X-Type

I think that if Ford want to play this game..... do it like the Japanese do oversee's...

1) Dont quote your engine output as being higher than a certain value
2) In reality go way above this

So when ppl get their ford on the street, they find that their car has the goods ;p
Old 10-22-2001, 02:51   #6 (permalink)

Firstly I would like to know where these quotes came from!

To be honest I think the top model in the T series range should not have a power figure supplied. Make the performance do the talking but not disclose the power figure. It makes a statement, and as the premium model I think the power figure should be second running to a few other things. Like DR XR says this will only work while it has the performance to match the competition.
Engine outputs can be understated or overstated but when the cars are run by the mags the figures generally don't lie.
For me those times are more important than what the manufacturer claims the engine might have.

As you come down the range the figure @ the engine becomes more important to the client, but the performance won't be any less important.

I really do have concerns as to where this might end. It certainly can't go unchecked because at the very best insurance companies will step in and make the decision for us.

I have no problem with the very top model in the range going into orbit, but when the conversation gets back to base model cars I am not so sure. I mean look through the mags and see what you have to pay to get into a 250kw car anywhere else in the world.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 02:57   #7 (permalink)
Jaguar X-Type

I agree that power should only be included if the rest of the package (brakes etc) are up to scratch, that will raise the cost. I see no problem with range topping models going sick and competing with Porche and Ferrari. Also, Fords are alot heavier than some of the Jap cars... so need more power to compensate.... its Power/Weight ratio that makes a difference.

The quotes were taken from "John Mellors Automotive e-news"

Quote:
The newsletter can be viewed online by accessing the following Internet hyperlink http://www.mellor.net/mellor/enews.nsf/edition/$first or offline by clicking on the PDF file attached below.
Also, can we get rid of the zillion and one sticky messages at the top ? Its getting to be a bit excessive when a quarter of the message screen is filled with stickies. Especially when two of the threads can be rolled into one.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:00   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Perhaps for the GT or GTHO Ford can use 300+ if they have the rights to that name? I dont know what they would do when a T Series gets over 300 though as the GT must be seen as having more but that should'nt be a problem for a while as i can see the Ts going over 280-285kw for a good couple of years.
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 03:04   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SnaggS
I agree that power should only be included if the rest of the package (brakes etc) are up to scratch, that will raise the cost. I see no problem with range topping models going sick and competing with Porche and Ferrari. Also, Fords are alot heavier than some of the Jap cars... so need more power to compensate.... its Power/Weight ratio that makes a difference.

The quotes were taken from "John Mellors Automotive e-news"

Also, can we get rid of the zillion and one sticky messages at the top ? Its getting to be a bit excessive when a quarter of the message screen is filled with stickies. Especially when two of the threads can be rolled into one.
Thanks for that

And yes.

In years to come with both the falcon and the commodore likely to be based on a multiple flatform, this might be more easily achieved than what we have now. I mean if the top mustang or jag or T series are based on the same platform the job has to be that much easier.

If the competition is in the market Ford have to be there too.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:14   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by DR XR
Perhaps for the GT or GTHO Ford can use 300+ if they have the rights to that name? I dont know what they would do when a T Series gets over 300 though as the GT must be seen as having more but that should'nt be a problem for a while as i can see the Ts going over 280-285kw for a good couple of years.
Yeah Look I really have no idea how they come to work out what model has what power. Maybe someone on the FF tour might have asked the question, but if it were me, the first thing I would be doing would be looking at the market to see what they had. The performance and the price of the competition. Then you have your line up, so you need to work out the steps for each model, then the cost of getting these steps out of the one motor.

You need to make the new model a reason for people to upgrade and there is no question that the technology advancements make these cars a far safer prospect than that of the last supercar scare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub