Dealer Service Dept BS. Beaverton Ford of Beaverton Oregon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2006, 01:58   #1 (permalink)

Dealer Service Dept BS. Beaverton Ford of Beaverton Oregon

Hello all. This is my first and I'm here to share my experience at the dealer service department.

It started with taking my Focus into the service dept of Beaverton Ford of Beaverton Oregon for grinding noise from brake. My front brakes were making grinding sound randomly even though there was a pad.

The problem was reproduceable when I took it in, but they couldn't find the problem. I was told the pads were fine and there was nothing caught between the rotor and pads. They claimed the lug nuts on my my right side wheels were loose and they retightened them.

When I went to pick up my car, the service advisor put the car up on the lift to show me the brake parts, but they struggled to get my wheel lock off. They stripped out the groove on the wheel lock and damaged my wheel when their impact wrench slipped off the groove.

This is when they tried to pull a BS on me. They basically told me its not their fault they damaged my wheel and I need to go blame the independent repair shop that worked prior to them for over-tightening the nut. One guy demonstrated with a torque wrench that my rear right lug nuts are tightened well over 120ft-lbs and thats what caused the problem. It is true that the independent shop is the one that worked on my wheel before the service dept, but it is the service department that decided the lug nuts weren't torqued enough and overtightened the lug nuts way over the recommended torque.

So, the dealer's tech decided my lug nuts on the right side wheels were not tightened adequately in the conditions my car was checked into them so they retightened it. Their own idiot technician over tightened the hell out of my locking lug nuts and couldn't get it off and damaged the wheel and the locking lug nut, so they tried to dodge their accountability and told me to "go blame the tire shop that installed the wheels" before I took it to them. Unbelievable!
They have nothing to do with it. While they were the last one to work on my car before the dealer, the last one to torque down the lug nuts was the dealer's own idiot tech.

Knowing it was the service dept that last tightened the nuts, I demanded they produce everything they stated in writing and the service advisor told me "we will document this for you so you can go hold the other tire shop accountable". Hold the other shop accountable for damage resulting in the process of removing something their own moron tech over-tightened?

It's bad enough they're denying liability, but they go as far as trying to blame someone else for it. Amazing. The service advisor was told by his boss that it is the service dept responsibility (uh.. DUH!), but it is still totally unacceptable that he tried to pull a quick one on me and played the "it's anyone's fault but our's that we f'ed up your car" card

TheShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2006, 03:29   #2 (permalink)

Re: Dealer Service Dept BS. Beaverton Ford of Beaverton Oregon

Dealer: "we are the last one to torque the lugnuts and our moron tech couldn't undo the lugnuts he torqued to 1,000 ft-lbs and he damaged the wheel and wheel lock in the process of trying to re-remove it. We're not denying we damaged it, but you need to blame the other tire shop for causing us to be an idiot and over torque it"

Top center: the locking nut they screwed up. The remaining three came off normally. The guy at installing shop used the same torque wrench for all four, hmmm yeah, definitely their fault.. NOT!

I had to get Les Schwab to get it out, because these morons at service dept couldn't get it out nor did I want them trying anymore causing further damage to my car. Les Schwab knows what they're doing when it comes to tires/wheels for the most part.
TheShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 22:51   #3 (permalink)

i always thought proper procedure was to remove and install locking lugs by hand?
tinman351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:48   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman351
i always thought proper procedure was to remove and install locking lugs by hand?
It is. There's less than 1/4" of metal that locks the "key" into the lug. That can't take the hammering of an impact wrench.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub