Defected Today - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2003, 20:35   #1 (permalink)

mad Defected Today

I was defected today on the way home from work. I was done for blow off valve, to bigger wheels and exhaust. An undercover car pulled me up when he heard the choof when i changed gears. i want to know why my 17 ich wheels with $1200 worth of tyres is less safe than my standard 14 inch tyres with 195 retreads? how did he measure the db of my exhaust with out a meter? its not that loud as turbo mufflers normally arent. my car has upgraded shockers, springs, brakes and i get told its unroadworthy. what a load of shit. they never pull over the shitbox rustbuckets that drive by them- just the clean polished good looking cars that the driver obviously enjoys. im sick of it. i think they have finally broken my spirits coz i just cant keep paying for this shit. no one on the face of the earth would be more distraught than me if i crashed it but i guess ill care less in a shitbox. then i can crash into anything i want. im so mad.
TTX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2003, 20:56   #2 (permalink)
mmmmm....kookyfudge

Re: Defected Today

depends on how loud your valve vented, mate were you on the go pedal?
Police have very little tolerance when it comes to things such as this. The truth is most guys who modify their cars (properly) generally have better engineered parts fitted to their cars than factory applications, a point that is unfortunatly lost on some members of the constabulary.

Its unfortunate that you were defected but it is the way of modified car enthusiasts these things will happen if you attract attention to yourself. I myself was defected in my 98 AU1 XR6........ but thats another story.

kooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 21:02   #3 (permalink)
AKA: Spaniard

Mind eplaining how your XR6 got defected? If you do, then I understand and I'm sure others will also.
Old 07-22-2003, 21:05   #4 (permalink)

i run over double standard boost so it vents loud all the time. i guess i was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 07-22-2003, 21:10   #5 (permalink)
mmmmm....kookyfudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaniard
Mind eplaining how your XR6 got defected? If you do, then I understand and I'm sure others will also.
I posted a thread some time ago titled Spleen Venting do a quick search and this should show up. Short story though i got pulled over for doing an illegal right hand turn out of a Mc Donalds carpark so there you have it got thier attention and they showed no mercy.

TTX3 sometimes its just that wrong place wrong time.....

kooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 21:16   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

Atmo venting BOV's are illegal. That wouldn't help the situation. There is the reason to pull you over. While he has you there he can go over the rest of your car. In most states the largest diameter wheels you can have is 2" larger than factory, if you had 14" then u can run 16" but not 17".

If you must run a BOV, either run a plumb back setup (legal) or keep the atmo venting and do the time for doing the crime.

We all know some parts of the law and limits on modified cars suck ass, but they are the laws, and if you modify your car outside the law, then expect to be pulled over, defected and/or fined.

I suggest getting hold of some information either from TransportSA, the police or an engineer to see what is legal and what isn't, and make sure that your car is modified legally.
hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 22:27   #7 (permalink)

i know what the laws are. im just saying it sucks. Bigger wheels better tyres = better traction-handling, even stopping. like i said, back to the 14s. i can smoke those up in 4th gear easy. may as well have some fun with it
Old 07-22-2003, 22:35   #8 (permalink)
Champion Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTX3
Bigger wheels better tyres = better traction-handling, even stopping.
Not necessarily. But if done properly (with a recalibrated speedo,etc) then yes this is the case.
XAHardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 22:52   #9 (permalink)
Soon to become: Jake_XR6

Mate cops are just jelous, and half the time they're also very dumb.

What you need is a stock set of wheels, exhaust etc. in the shed that you can just bolt on to get your roadworthy done. Next day just chuck the goodies back on.
Air Intake: T-Series, K&N Filter.
Brakes: Calipers painted red, DBA slotted rotors & Lucas pads.
Windows: Tinted.
Gearstick: Shortened.
Fuel: Dual Fuel.
Dyno: 143 rwKw (Dynodynamics - shootout mode).
Heathcote: 15.87 @ 89.1 Mph.
BLACK XR6-VCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 23:06   #10 (permalink)
Champion Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK XR6-VCT
Mate cops are just jelous, and half the time they're also very dumb.

What you need is a stock set of wheels, exhaust etc. in the shed that you can just bolt on to get your roadworthy done. Next day just chuck the goodies back on.
Doing this won't stop you from getting defects from dodgy cops. An engineers report with the mods ON might however........
XAHardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub