Defensive Driving Course - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2002, 08:34   #1 (permalink)
Layabout

Defensive Driving Course

Has anyone done one? Are they worth it?
EADan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2002, 09:19   #2 (permalink)
Sideways..

Yeah im curious too... and do you get to do it in your own car?

Coz I rekon it would be a waste to be taught in some high-as-a-boat car and then hop back into a real low car.. it would handle completely different.

Xtreme 275.6 rwkw, 12.93 sec quater, Phoon CAI, Siemens Injectors, StealthFX BOV with XBOX entertainment.
XF Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 10:14   #3 (permalink)

Im doing one on Sunday, and yes you generally use your own car. (well I am)

Looking forward to it (but not the early start:dead: )

Ill be sure to post a detailed review on it after I get back:s6:
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 13:29   #4 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

Can thoroughly recommend Ian Luff's courses. They are based in Sydney but do courses around the country (Canada could be a problem!)
www.ianluff.com.au
Old 08-02-2002, 18:02   #5 (permalink)

Yes, did a Jim Murcott one for work. It was a good course, but you will only get out of it what you want. I took a lot of good habits back with me. I did note that the people who said it was a waste of a day were generally really poor drivers who thought they drove well.

The one thing I regret is I did it in my work car - I have the utmost faith in an AUII - know exactly how it handles and what its gripes are - but still don't know what the limits are in my own cars!

One thing that was wrong with the course was their speel about putting 36psi in the tyres. Have done so religiously, and gone through 2 sets ($300 for two - not happy Jan) of tyres on the back of the ute in 2 years - over inflated! Yet the course instructors were adament that it shouldn't make a difference if it was a ute or sedan, it should all be 36psi.
Old 08-02-2002, 23:18   #6 (permalink)

I did the ian luff course at oran park a few years ago. Great day,, you use your own vehicle, in my case a telstra VR wagon, heh heh heh....
Devil CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 01:10   #7 (permalink)
gone

Yep, well worth the cost

I have completed several driving courses, only to show each time how bad my driving style is!

John Bowe is probably the best I have been on so far!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 01:31   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by carolyn

One thing that was wrong with the course was their speel about putting 36psi in the tyres. Have done so religiously, and gone through 2 sets ($300 for two - not happy Jan) of tyres on the back of the ute in 2 years - over inflated! Yet the course instructors were adament that it shouldn't make a difference if it was a ute or sedan, it should all be 36psi.
Somebody has definitely got it wrong there - just can't understand the reasoning behind that at all.

For normal to vigourous driving I would try about 28-32 on the rears and 36-40 fronts and see how it goes. If you just potter about like my grandma then drop 4-6 psi all round.

36 in the rears if fully loaded or towing.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 01:33   #9 (permalink)

Hmmm ... I mean if the ute is fully loaded ... not the driver!
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 01:33   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Whwn you join the vic police force they put you through a driving course...which amongst other things involves pursuit triaining.
They make you push the car to the absolute limits.. You get to play on a skid pan and a small track .. then they take you out to avalon airport and you get a course to drive with no limits.
I have never had so much fun learning... but more importantly I learned how control a car to its limit... and what to do when you lose it..
As long as they don't teach crap like two foot braking and such I think everyone should do one .. especially in their own car.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub