Defensive Driving Courses - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2004, 00:47   #1 (permalink)

Defensive Driving Courses

Hey there, im after some defensive driving courses for somewhere in SA, has anyone taken one before?
The reason is today after school i needed to go down to the shopping centre, wet roads, was raining, getting dark. I pull up to a minor T intersection just outside near my house. Was just after school so the roads where a bit busy as there are 2 schools near me. I was waiting for awhile, eventually nothing coming from the right, look to the left, nothing was coming or so i thought. So i pull out to turn right, and am in the lane i check left again and there is a car coming, (with no bloody lights on so i didn't notice it straight away) i had to make a quick decision, i chose give it a bit of throttle instead of the probably more safer option of just wait in the lane because no cars where coming form the other direction. Anyway i have just about completed the turn and the rear slid out from beneath me (it actually turned inwards as opposed to sliding out the other way because i was on a right hand turn, which i can only put down to the fact i probably gave it to much throttle as opposed to losing grip and having it sliide out ther other way), any way the car got to about 40 degree on the angle, i managed to correct it thanks to a long speak with my dad one night while i was pissed on how to correct cars if they are spinning or about to spin. the right rear wheel (or atleast i think it was, may have been front, it all happened so fast) hit the big yellow circular things that we have as cheap ass median strips in SA. so only part of my car was on the other side of the road which wasn't to bad as it is a fairly wide road, the car who didn't have his lights on musta seen me pull out and give it a bit, he slowed down, and the oncomming car also saw me go sideways and slowed down a bit.
End result i learnt that my judgement needs working on, im not invinsible and pieces of machinery need to be respected.
I would like to take some advanced driving courses just so i know all i need to know about avoiding things and how to control the car if something does happen that is unavoidable
Quote:
<mrmkII> a tick bit my nuts!!!!
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2004, 01:52   #2 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

Re: Defensive Driving Courses

Nice save. Youve already learned something valuable, good to see your acting on it.

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:06   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

To be honest, if you know anything about cars those courses are useless. I did the Jim Murcott course and learnt nothing. I already knew the car won't steer with the wheels locked up, I already knew the effects of cornering at speed in the wet. Anyone with ABS breezed through the whole day, if I had ABS I would of either pulled the fuse or asked for my money back.

Nothing what-so-ever on oversteer correction either.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 06:31   #4 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

Yeh to be honest ive heard the same thing about defensive driving courses.

The only good ones ive been told of are the Emergency Evasion courses on how to avoid kidnapping attempts and weaving through obstacles to escape.

And also the Advanced Driving (Racing) courses that teach you real control of cars on the limit.
Seeing as your havin probs with oversteer and proper correction then im sure you would benefit and really enjoy from going to a drift course. Being in SA you should have no problem finding em there heh.

Failing that get some practise in a safe area with no people/cars around. Use opposite lock and appropriate throttle modulation. Get a feel for the car balance too.

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:27   #5 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

Why not get your dad to teach you a thing or two? That's what I did. When I first got my Ls, dad would only let me drive on gravel roads at 40kmh until I could pull up our XE without lockup, whilst swerving. Took me about 2 weeks to master, but its saved me alot of times.

If you've got any secluded dirt roads around or yards, go out and practice a few flick spins. The way I control a bit of sideways movement is put both hands slightly above the horizontal on the wheel, with your thumbs pointing up. Now simply point the thumbs in the direction you want to go (i.e. up the road), and ease off the throttle. If the rear end goes further out, you need to apply more throttle. With enough practice you won't have to think, you'll just react.

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Dull Alloy factory mags, ooo yeah.

Proud TQE Operator
donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 02:53   #6 (permalink)

The RAA offer defensive driving courses for around $250. They go through everything from slalom control and emergency breaking. Supposed to be pretty good. Considering one myself.
RDynamic white, 17" EB GT's, King Superlow, Nolathane, EF block, Genie Extractors, 3'' exhaust, pod, crane cam.
Manual conversion, Extreme Clutch.
fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub