Digital Speedos - A Hazard? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2005, 20:15   #1 (permalink)

Digital Speedos - A Hazard?

I just returned a rental car after a few days of living with a Digital speedo, it drove me nuts because you have to take your eyes off the road, look directly at it and read the actual numbers. How stupid is this compared to a well designed Analog speedo with a nice clear dial and needle to 'glance' at.
Driving back from picking up my own car, the difference was enormous, I could 'see' the needle hanging in about the right place without taking my eyes off the road.
These things should be banned (bah, humbug etc.....) although living in Victoria, Bracksy probably thinks they are much safer on the State budget.

It was a Toyota Echo by the way, with the speedo located in the middle of the dash, way off your normal sight lines.
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2005, 21:41   #2 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

Re: Digital Speedos - A Hazard?

I was positive that the 1970/80 Alfa GTV's had to be modified for Australia, as they were originally designed with the tacho infront of th driver & the speedo off-set. Funny how Totota & GM seem to get out of these issues & others can't.
Old 04-21-2005, 23:03   #3 (permalink)
www.lukehimself.com

I thought they were illegal?
Old 04-22-2005, 02:08   #4 (permalink)

Wasn't there a Nissan Bluebird or something which had a digital speedo readout that relected up onto the windscreen?. Would have been a great help during the day. Anything that is hard to read or diverts your focus away to look at seems pretty stupid. Especially when you can get pinged by the cops for doing under 15 in NSW (long w/ends) and loose 6 points in one go!, another bloody fantastic idea..
HSV ETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:46   #5 (permalink)

If all it takes is a digital speedo to get you to come off the road from a loss of concentration, then you are the hazard! Get off the road! No offence, but i have read and heard so many apparent hazzards, such as OTHER cars DVD systems etc, and now digital speedos, I've used them, and the solution is easy. Stay focussed on the road!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 17:39   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermono
I just returned a rental car after a few days of living with a Digital speedo, it drove me nuts because you have to take your eyes off the road, look directly at it and read the actual numbers. How stupid is this compared to a well designed Analog speedo with a nice clear dial and needle to 'glance' at.
Driving back from picking up my own car, the difference was enormous, I could 'see' the needle hanging in about the right place without taking my eyes off the road.
These things should be banned (bah, humbug etc.....) although living in Victoria, Bracksy probably thinks they are much safer on the State budget.

It was a Toyota Echo by the way, with the speedo located in the middle of the dash, way off your normal sight lines.
You're joking aren't you, how can you find digital speedos harder to read than analog, I much prefer my EA ghia speedo (digital) to my ED.
Maybe if you find it hard, rip out your clock, radio and anything else that has a digital display.
93' ED 5spd 4.0L NA Fairmont
JMM Street fighter kit, race series headers, BBM, EL xr6 ECU, unichip, 3.45 LSD
1/4 mile time: 14.21@97.2mph
ED I6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 19:02   #7 (permalink)

Toyota Echo's a have a digital speedo that is mounted in the centre of the dash, and I don't mean centred in front of the driver, I mean centred between the passenger and driver. Factory car and my sister just bought a new one so obviously not illegal.

They just take getting used to but really nothing beats the "close enough is good enough" feel of the analogue speedo.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 20:13   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
If all it takes is a digital speedo to get you to come off the road from a loss of concentration, then you are the hazard! Get off the road!
You missed my point, with a well positioned analog speedo I don't have to take my eyes off the road.
Take note that yesterday a Victorian traffic cop lost his life because a car drifted to the edge of the road and cleaned him up. Even those with Mark Webber like levels of ability need to limit distractions.

A digital speedo positioned well off the normal sight line is a greater hazard than a well positioned analog version.
There can be no valid argument on this point.

Now, where's my walking stick and guide dog?
Old 04-26-2005, 20:45   #9 (permalink)

Red face Re: Digital Speedos - A Hazard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED I6
You're joking aren't you, how can you find digital speedos harder to read than analog, I much prefer my EA ghia speedo (digital) to my ED.
Another who has missed my point, maybe I should type much sllooowwweerrr.
You don't have to 'read' an analog dial, you can tell from the position the needle is hanging in what your speed is to within a couple of clicks. So your eyes don't have to leave the road as often.

I could ignore this whole issue and just say ignore your speedo, keep your eyes open and judge your speed from alternative sensory inputs.
Not sure about you, but I couldn't afford the speed tax that would be incurred from my friendly local camera operator.
Old 04-26-2005, 21:46   #10 (permalink)

I can't say I agree with you on this one... that's my argument.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub