Dodgy Taxis - Health Hazard? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2004, 02:22   #1 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Dodgy Taxis - Health Hazard?

I have been meaning to write this for almost a month now so here goes.

Almost every weekend I catch a taxi to the city to go out drinking and each week I get more and more annoyed with the mechanical condition of some of the taxis. Why the hell are police wasting their time defecting ricers for 'illegal' pod filters when they should be inspecting taxis for roadworthiness! Here are some of the things that I have seen/experienced in taxis:

* Massive brake shudder (so common its not funny)
* Suspension making terrible noises - in particular the shockers banging and thumping away
* Lights on the dash not working (one asian dude had NO dash lights in his EL taxi at all except for the meter!)
* Windscreen wipers grinding the glass away as the blade is so badly worn
* Transmission making appauling noises and shifting as if it had a shift kit!
* Loose front seat
* Vibrations through the car at speeds above 50km/h

This is just off the top of my head. I have already been in a taxi when the fool driving crashed it into a lightpole because he was speeding in the rain and took a corner too fast (90km/h+!) no idea how to correct the slide, BANG. I then remembered that his airbag didn't come out when it clearly should have (front on impact at about 35 - 40km/h). I asked another driver about that and he said that he probably already had a crash and didnt want to fork out the money for a new one!

I dunno, I just don't like paying top dollar and getting a ride in a heap of crap EL/VT that has huge brake shudder, horrible banging coming from the suspension and christ knows what else such as bald tyres. Some cabbies just don't seem to care about the condition of their cars...
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2004, 03:05   #2 (permalink)
The new one is here...

Re: Dodgy Taxis - Health Hazard?

Thats because after getting off thier camels or tuk tuk vans, they think that a 1 million km heap of crap is luxury.

EL2 XR8, White, Auto, Completely stock and the best looking Falcon ever built...
Citric XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 03:07   #3 (permalink)
Roll, Crash and Smash

I don't think cabbies care to much about anything except their next fare. But you speak the truth about the mechanical conditions of these vehicles, why should we pay for a ride in a shit heap?

AMBROSE CHAMPION AGAIN IN 2004
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 03:31   #4 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

You must realise many of these vehicles, infact, the vast majority, are on the road 24/7. They never get turned off, they just get handed from driver to driver. Owner driver cars are often far far better then cars driven by drivers employed by a taxi operator. These vehicles don't get good treatment from the people who drive them, they are some of the most abused vehicles out there. That being said, the fact they can actually make it through 1,000,000km of abuse and still drive is testament to how well made the Falcon is.d

As for saying "Why should we pay money for rides in a shit heap."
Spend a few years as a Taxi owner driver, then come back and say that. Its not exactly easy, especially to keep paying for services to things that break. You want a luxury ride that you're paying for, get a hire car.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:33   #5 (permalink)
BA FALCON XR6™

Simple resolution, pay an extra 11 bucks and get Silver Service. They will come pick you up in a Fairlane thats actually clean, and faultless (in 8 out of 10 cases neways).
FPV TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 03:36   #6 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Silver Service costs no more then a regular taxi. $2.65 flagfall and $1.53 per kilometre after that. They're rarely spotless, in fact, they're NORMAL TAXIS except that they have Fairlane Ghia's instead of Falcon Forte's. There is no difference, and if you are paying $11 extra for Silver Service, the drivers are lying to you, because there are no extra fees.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:38   #7 (permalink)
BA FALCON XR6™

In QLD the flagfall is $11 bucks, and in all the ones ive been in they ahve been spotless.

I dont knwo about NSW but in QLD yellow cabs has strict guidelines with respect to their silver service vehicles, as they are basically Limo driven hirecars but badged as taxis (eg. the drivers wears a white shirt and tie).
FPV TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 03:41   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
As for saying "Why should we pay money for rides in a shit heap."
Spend a few years as a Taxi owner driver, then come back and say that. Its not exactly easy, especially to keep paying for services to things that break. You want a luxury ride that you're paying for, get a hire car.
So it's ok to provide a sub-standard service just because it's not easy?

Hell, it'd be easier to just change the service sticker at work rather than service the car, is that acceptable?
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 03:42   #9 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Taxis Combined Services here.. the company that runs Silver Service.. have guidlines that go as follows.

Fairlane Ghia or Statesman
Nice shirt and tie.

That's about all. I've never read them, but thats what it would be. They're ordinary cabs that have nicer cars. They're also favoured for radio jobs, while normal cabs get what the Silver Service blokes don't accept.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:43   #10 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho chicken
So it's ok to provide a sub-standard service just because it's not easy?

Hell, it'd be easier to just change the service sticker at work rather than service the car, is that acceptable?
Drive your car 24 hours a day 7 days a week for a year and come back to me. Taxis get more service then normal cars get, they're in a few times a month. I can't remember how much the law stipulates off hand.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub