Does Ford need a "rice" car?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2001, 06:06   #1 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

confused Does Ford need a "rice" car??

I know this seems a tad awful to contemplate but lets think about it for a minute. Does Ford need a "rice" car?

The reason I pose the question is going home on the train last Friday I overheard these two lads talking about their preferred "hot car". One was a HSV while the other bloke was dead set keen on a twin turbo ricey something or other.
Now a bloke at my work has just gone and bought himself a Skyline rice toy which he swears is gods gift to performance cars.
Is Ford (& Holden for that matter) missing out on an area of the market? Is it an area of the market worth persuing? What are your thoughts?
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2001, 06:18   #2 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

I agree that different cars appeal to different people. But I also couldn't see someone going out and buying a twin turbo holden either. I think one fo the reasons they like to buy rice racers is an alternative to ford and holden. besides ford and holdens history of cars are built around rear wheel drive v8 sedans and people perception of both manufacuturs are that. I think that ford and holden sould stick to thier target market. And thier target market wants big V8 rear wheel drive sedans and not rice racers.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 06:18   #3 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

Mmmmmmmmm...thats a scary thought..I didnt think Ford & ricer could ever be put together in a sentance..But your point is valid..mmmmm

Check out the OzECruisers Inc. website HERE

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65
Mother Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 06:33   #4 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

If they release it, what about the AV Turbo Falcon XR6?
Old 10-10-2001, 06:54   #5 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by Venom S
If they release it, what about the AV Turbo Falcon XR6?
That'd be an instant hit, just like the VL Turbo in it's days only this will be a more powerful machine.

I guess first thing first, we have to define the word "ricey". In my books a ricey car is one of those jap cars usually 4 pots goin around with those full sik body kits, the subawoofer and a manditory acura or nismo stickers etc.
However cars like, Toyota Supra's, Nissan Skyline GTR's , Mitsu 3000GT and Honda NSX despite being Japanese i do not classify them as ricey. The are hi-powered hi-tech sports cars.

I believe a Turbo XR6 or the like would move the falcon into this pedigree rather than the "ricey" trend.

But as what Cobra said, the Falcon/Commodore will always remain the traditional big V8 rear wheel drive sedan which i dearly love hands down over the Japanese HiTech machines.
As proof to my words I have driven both kinds. I rest my case.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 07:06   #6 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

of course, as ford and holden move into the future more technologies will be used. AWD, turbocharging. But that will be all extensions to out old models. Maybe in later years ford might buid niche models to the niche market. I'd say that the focus is the closest thing to anything ricey but it isnt even in australia...yet
But yes, no matter what ford and holden go ahead with they will always be remebered by thier big thirsty v8s and other rear drive family cars for us Aussie blokes (and chicks)
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 07:17   #7 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra
of course, as ford and holden move into the future more technologies will be used. AWD, turbocharging. But that will be all extensions to out old models. Maybe in later years ford might buid niche models to the niche market. I'd say that the focus is the closest thing to anything ricey but it isnt even in australia...yet
But yes, no matter what ford and holden go ahead with they will always be remebered by thier big thirsty v8s and other rear drive family cars for us Aussie blokes (and chicks)
Glad you quantified chicks cobra :D

Check out the OzECruisers Inc. website HERE

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65
Mother Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 08:01   #8 (permalink)
RACE

Quote:
Originally posted by EF_Falcon_GuY

That'd be an instant hit, just like the VL Turbo in it's days only this will be a more powerful machine.

I guess first thing first, we have to define the word "ricey". In my books a ricey car is one of those jap cars usually 4 pots goin around with those full sik body kits, the subawoofer and a manditory acura or nismo stickers etc.
However cars like, Toyota Supra's, Nissan Skyline GTR's , Mitsu 3000GT and Honda NSX despite being Japanese i do not classify them as ricey. The are hi-powered hi-tech sports cars.

I believe a Turbo XR6 or the like would move the falcon into this pedigree rather than the "ricey" trend.

But as what Cobra said, the Falcon/Commodore will always remain the traditional big V8 rear wheel drive sedan which i dearly love hands down over the Japanese HiTech machines.
As proof to my words I have driven both kinds. I rest my case.
I agree with the fact that Supras, Skylines as not being ricey, they are in a different category all together.

But Excels/Acents, Civics with bodykits and HUGE rear spoilers, I would say are "ricey".

This "rice" market is a segment that Ford have not had any success in since the Laser TX3. And I believe Ford needs to be a part of it. Not all new car buyers are potential Falcon buyers, so having a ricey car is something that could possibly sway a buyer into buying a car with a Ford badge on it. Holden haven't brought out the Barina and Astra SRi for nothing. They also have the Astra Turbo Coupe/Convertible coming as well. What does Ford have now and planned for the next 12 months? Well, nothing much really. The SR2 Laser is a start. But what else? The Fiesta in 1.6l form with stiffer suspention, nice alloys and mild styling kit would help. Apart from that I can't think of much else out there for Ford at the moment.

This may not seem attractive to most of us here who would never consider such cars, but there is a large market out there.
Old 10-10-2001, 08:31   #9 (permalink)
Rail Rider

Ford Australia doesn't have the money to bring out anything new at the moment, although it would be good to bring in the fiesta and the focus. But Ford OZ are plowing everything into the Bara and sweating on it to be winner. Ford can't aford another AU.
Old 10-10-2001, 14:54   #10 (permalink)
Grand Muckety Muck

Quote:
Originally posted by RATT

But Excels/Acents, Civics with bodykits and HUGE rear spoilers, I would say are "ricey".

Ford rice car? Here ay go........but at least it has the power to back it up.....*shrug*
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub