Dont like Bara looks - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2002, 01:12   #1 (permalink)

Dont like Bara looks

OK flame me and call me disloyal but I dont like the looks. It is not offensive but very bland with no character. This is the XL futura/fairmont. Hopefully the XRs will look the part. I think they could have fixed the droopy arse without raising the nose so much and giving it the blunt characterless look it now has. And what about a weight increase in this day and age of light materials and high tech. Ok I like the movable pedals 4 valves DOHC but surely the weight added here should have been pared off elsewhere. Its a big car!!!

How long before rings scratch the crap out of the silver automatic gear levers?(I dont care as I buy Manuals)The rear suspension looks WAY lighter than the AU rear subframe so something else is weighing in really heavy.Extra sheet metal, Engines, motors for seats ,pedals?

Dont get me wrong I will still buy an XR variant with the hopefully great motors and dress up nosecones/skirts/spoilers provided the handling is still up to par with the old ones. Meanwhile I think my TE50 is a way better looking car -notice how the new XR nosecones are very similar to the TE50(2002) except the headlights
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2002, 01:21   #2 (permalink)

i dont like the look of the new one either - when compared to a top spec varient. Thats why there is a top spec varient. Im sure a mother of three kiddies isnt gonna really car about side skirts and alloys with a matching "race spec" cup holder.
Horses for courses.
Old 10-01-2002, 01:23   #3 (permalink)

Partly agree with you julian - I'm not fussed on the rear as it has been made boxy and pretty much like the "norm" - I liked the statement the AU made "I dare to be different". However the front is still pure AU in my opinion as is the profile all the way to the rear quarter so that much I do like. Notice our TE grille has been used in the XR?

Most of the extra weight is apparently in the rear end - this actually is not so much a penalty as it will tend to even out the front/rear weight balance - possibly one of the reasons the testers have all noted how "small" the car feels as it handles very well and feels very neutral.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 01:39   #4 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Anyone that doesnt like the new falcon needs to tell me what they're smokin' coz it must be some real heavy shit.

IMO the BA front is a million times better than the AU. And the rear is everything the AU should have been, no pirky tail lights or droopy looking arse.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 01:49   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra
Anyone that doesnt like the new falcon needs to tell me what they're smokin' coz it must be some real heavy shit.

IMO the BA front is a million times better than the AU. And the rear is everything the AU should have been, no pirky tail lights or droopy looking arse.
Well said Cobra!!

But like to others have said "horses for courses"

I luv it
batbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 01:56   #6 (permalink)

Personally I love it. Specially the v8 supercar version, the front on artist impressive looks the goods.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 01:59   #7 (permalink)
400 kg ego

It's not a question of being disloyal to speak out against the Falcon's looks. Ford built a radically-styled car with minimal respect for the tastes of its (conservative) customers, and it didn't sell. Now they have corrected the problems with a more traditional and classy looking model - and why shouldn't they?

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 02:26   #8 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

I like the VX better than the VY, and I still think the AU XR look better than the BA XRs. what's gonna happen is you'll get used to the new looks soon, but still I was hoping they leave the quad lights for the XR range as it is!:mad:

I saw the new Holdens, the SS is looking good, the bastards got the rear lights from monaro, bad thing for monaro owners, it's more and more getting into "public" category rather than a classy one.

I have to say, the BA XT looks a million times better than the VY which is a big bloody vectra!
Old 10-01-2002, 02:29   #9 (permalink)
FF Moderator

I have owned an AU XR8 and loved it, however I spent much money adjusting its appearance to look more aggressive and V8supercar like. I must say the BA looks to me like a much better design and the ‘plain’ design lends itself better to minor owner customisation to achieve aggressive, bold looks, a DNA feature I loved and grew up with on many earlier model fords XY,XB,XD,EB,EL.

In saying that a client of mine has owned 3 AU models cars and loves them all. He is actually disappointed that this model will discontinue. He also did not like the fatter fords of old and preferred Magna's etc.. The styling of the AU is actually what made him give Falcon a go.

May be there is a connection.

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 02:31   #10 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Barra is a sexy bugger!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I can't see how you can dislike the styling. Looks tough and elegant all at the same time. Very Audi..

COBRA, did you work today? I was down at Rexy's this morning checking out the new Fords...mmm... and the Mercury Silver XR! If you looked in the dictionary under 'Fully Shiiick Moooite' you would find a photo of that car.
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub