Drag with an AU3 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2002, 08:42   #1 (permalink)
au2 forte

Thumbs up Drag with an AU3

Ok my mate just got an au3 fairmont (not ghia) and we've lined it up against my au2 forte numerous times now just for fun. Both cars are auto, 6cyc and were running with econ off (so driver ability wasn't a factor) btw yeah yeah, we don't think of our cars as performance beasts, they are just family sedans with a lil bit of go :p

Anyways, we repeated it a few times, and every time it was the same: eg. both cars get off the mark around the same...BUT at around ~70kph the au3 accelerates almost "VIOLENTLY", it just kicks then pulls VERY VERY EASILY away from the au2. On one go, I got out by around 1m off the line (mayB even a tad more) but the au3 was pulling even at ~85 and if we kept going much more I'm sure it was going to absolutely dominate up high. What we'd like to know, is what's causing the such a big difference in b/w the two cars in ONLY that mid/high region?? Yeah we know fairmonts cost more etc, but afaik the engine is not tickford enhanced (so they are both stock with 157kw and 375Nm of torque), and both cars are similar weight and were even carrying a similar amount of fuel....Also the reason it's that odd, is because my dad has an au1 fairmont and in no way does it have that much punch as the au3 had in that mid/highish region (imho).

anyways, we'd both be very interested in your thoughts as far as reasons for the differences??

Cheers
au2_xpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2002, 09:15   #2 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

seems like you guys had fun. Are you sure they didn't give your mate a GHIA by mistake? :bs2: just checked the wheels mag, as usual all the numbers are crap. both of your cars have the same power output, and the fairmont should be heavier and slower by a good .5 second.
Ok, check your service book and tune up your car, maybe it will work this way??!!
is the auiii using a different gearbox ratio you reckon??
ayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 09:50   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ayman
seems like you guys had fun. Are you sure they didn't give your mate a GHIA by mistake? :bs2: just checked the wheels mag, as usual all the numbers are crap. both of your cars have the same power output, and the fairmont should be heavier and slower by a good .5 second.
Ok, check your service book and tune up your car, maybe it will work this way??!!
is the auiii using a different gearbox ratio you reckon??
For a Fairmont to be 0.5sec slower over the 1/4mile compared to a Forte it would have to be a good 200Kg heavier.

According to Wheels mag a Fairmont is only 8kg heavier than a Forte.

Maybe your mate has a factory freak? Get both your cars dynoed on the same day/same place and see what the numbers are like.

Dunno if it makes a difference but are you manually shifting it? Or just leaving it in Drive?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 15:03   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Maybe your mate has a factory freak? Get both your cars dynoed on the same day/same place and see what the numbers are like.
i agree, it is most likely one of the cars is either a good freek or a bad freek.

i remember trying to work out reasons for this when working at a dealership a few years back. i worked in pre-delivery and so drove all the brand new cars as they came in. there was noticable difference between many of them, even identicle models.

one thing we came up with is port matching. very few factoty cars are port matched. if you add up all the possibilities for a 1/4mm mistake in the inlet manifold (bolt holes, gaskets, port positions etc) you could end up with a really bad one or a really good one. it seems to me that this could make a huge difference in power output.
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 15:23   #5 (permalink)
RACE

I agree, the AUIII most probably was a factory freak. The Fairmont isn't actually much heavier than the Forte.

I have a similar situation at work where a workmates co. car (a Forte) has an amazing midrange.
Old 01-27-2002, 16:09   #6 (permalink)
au2 forte

Thx for the replies guys :p

We had all sorts of dodgey theories :p, like mayB the au3 ecu might be mapped more agressively!?!? (soz if that sounds like total crap hehehe :p, but we're a couple of amatures just throwing round ideas :p). Also wondering if there'd be any differences in the exhaust setup perhaps?? Because that'd be another explanation of the way the au3 seemed to "open up". But otherwise...as many of u have suggested...his might be what u r calling a 'facory freak'...DOH!!!! If so, is it possible to (I dunno) to 'tweak' another car to perform like that (w/o getting mods or am I just wayyyy too optimistic :p).

ayman: yeah it wasn't a ghia :p And afaik the gearing is the same? Also I dunno if I needed a service, I had one @ 15k (its only done ~20k now?)

Martin: He was always just leaving it in drive. A couple of times I tried manually shifting. Didn't make that much diff overall tho, but it did hang in there slightly longer when the au3 did surge. I did notice one thing: even if I left it in 2nd and put the boot in, it shifted (by itself) to 3rd once it hit just under 5k (prolly 4800->4900). In 'D' (with econ off) it sometimes likes to shift into 3rd a tad sooner. Just for a laugh I tried it on econ as well...it was extremely bad, it took ages to get going and even then liked to shift much earlier (as expected ).

Cheers
au2_xpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 16:29   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

I thought Ford was pretty good at there engine tolerances. There should be very little between them.

I blame clear indicators.. Definately worth 20Hp... at the wheels.. or at the wheelarch as the case may be..
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 01:02   #8 (permalink)
BAII XR6T Driver!

Quote:
Originally posted by IPhido
I thought Ford was pretty good at there engine tolerances. There should be very little between them.

I blame clear indicators.. Definately worth 20Hp... at the wheels.. or at the wheelarch as the case may be..
HAHA just imagine If ford fitted the AUIII with clear lens on all lights (ala Riced up Civics and Lancers) then the base forte would be quicker than the T3 over the quater mile.:s6:
Old 01-28-2002, 01:05   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

The government wouldn't allow it, simply too much performance.. they would have to get full clear rear brake lights for the cops so they can keep up..

And we haven't even mentioned undercar fluro lights..
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 01:15   #10 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

I think i may know what your mates AUIII has an advantage over your AUII.

Check the tag on the diff, being a fairmont it is more than possible for ford to fit the shorter 3.23 diff in rather that the normal 3.08.

Hence after 70km/h your mates fairmont starts to haul.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub