Drag Racing in the WEST... Yet again! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2003, 00:58   #1 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Drag Racing in the WEST... Yet again!

Hey guys.

During last year I posted on these forums (Don't know where the thread went??) talking about the current illegal Drag Racing being held in the Western Suburbs. At that time, there had apparently been a huge crack down by local police to try and put a stop to it.

This week, the drags have hit the front page of the local news paper, YET AGAIN.
The article is called "Drag Fury" and is in the local Star newspaper.

Just as I had anticipated, the action taken by local authorities has been a waste of time.

"Spencer St, in a north Sunshine industrial area, is a mecca to about 1000 drag enthusiasts some Saturday nights"

That article goes on to talk about how efforts to stop the meets have not done much to discourage people, and how the organization has grown in sophistication... etc

As I said in my previous thread, these guys need a place to go and do this.
There is no way it can be stopped, it has been going on for years, and it looks like there will be no end anytime soon.

When will they listen.

Simon.
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2003, 01:25   #2 (permalink)
SB3
E-Series Member

Saturday night sunshine drags has been going on for a while now since the crackdown on Truck City(sunday nights) in the northern suburbs. Yes it has been going on for years, and it's not going to stop that's for sure.
SB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 05:45   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

biggrin I got bored

OK I'm not going to say how many hundreds of Bass Crazy posts I sifted through to find this (brought back a few laughs and memories), but here is the original thread:

**Street Racing In WEST!!!**

At least we can say that we are doing out part in the Club by promoting legal drags.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 06:17   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

How do they 'crack down' on the drags?

The worst I've heard of is a few cop cars boxing in the cars parked at a Shell servo on the Princess Hwy and doing roadworthy checks. These people weren't even dragging.

The ones I've been to, you watch til the cops come, piss off down the highway and start them up at the other end til the cops come. Just kept swapping all night long. Hell everyone was dragging off from the lights on the way down.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 01:31   #5 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Quote:
Originally posted by SB3
Saturday night sunshine drags has been going on for a while now since the crackdown on Truck City(sunday nights) in the northern suburbs. Yes it has been going on for years, and it's not going to stop that's for sure.

Dont know about saturday nites but this still happens among the young revheads on a sunday nite.
police arte powerless and all they do is move from one location to another when there is a bust up. im talking a move for example from Broadmeadows to Altona so theres a bit of travelling involved....
been happeng for yonks now.
MKII240T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 01:54   #6 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Well then.......
Old 06-23-2003, 02:13   #7 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Isn't Calder in the Western suburbs?
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 04:33   #8 (permalink)
Lost in FF

Re: Drag Racing in the WEST... Yet again!

they had a huge crack down here at newcastle a while ago i've only ever been to one and the cops turned up pretty quickly, these ones are off in the industrial area where the only traffic is big trucks occasionally the cops just blocked off the road
Old 06-23-2003, 05:40   #9 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

Where I work there's a big long straight wide road that has been used for drags for years.

One night it all went bad when a couple of B-Doubles came in and one almost got collected, they both parked across the road and called the cops.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:00   #10 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Hey.. its the old thread :)

LTDHO, yes calder is in the west, about 20 mins from where most of the above occurs, and right next to the new motor sport complex that has been proposed for years.

The last time I went calder for a mates car.
$55 to get his car in, $10 to get the support car in +$17 for the driver, and $34 to get myself and another mate in to help out.
We were there from 6:30 till the placed closed, my mate managed to get 3 runs in and (he was in the line the whole night), the time board didn't work, there was a fight in pit lane and his car nearly ended up with some serious damage as a result….. one crap night in my book!

The last time we went to the illegal drags there was a big turnout, it took us a whole 5 mins to get there, saw a heap of races+burnouts, and the guys who wanted to race, did when ever they wanted to without waiting.
A much cheaper and enjoyable night.

Something isn’t working here!
Bass Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub