Dri-Wash - The Waterless car wash. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2003, 21:45   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

confused Dri-Wash - The Waterless car wash.

I was at the Penrith Energy Expo on Saturday, and there was some guys there trying to flog this stuff called Dri-Wash. It is supposed to be a waterless car wash.

You spray this stuff on the car, and wipe it off with a terry towel. It is also supposed to put a wax on the car as well.

I asked the guy if it worked, and he said I could bring my car over and he would show me. Well you can imagine what I said to that!!!

He gave me a demo on a Commodore. (hahaha) It seemed to work ok. I said I was very concerned about rubbing dirt into my paint. He said, that there is a Poly-formula that covers the dirt, and it does not scratch. In fact, he said, washing your car with the normal bucket and sponge scratches your car more.

I was still not convinced. He told me he wa a Spray Painter by trade, and would not put anything on a car that would scratch it.

Great Stuff. $15 a bottle.

Needless to say, he did not get any of my money.

Does anyone here use this stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2003, 22:24   #2 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

I've seen it in a show (i think it's called healthy wealthy and wise) and Peter Warret was promoting this product. It's in an aerosol can and you spray it on the paint then wipe it off.

I'm abit of skeptic to use it for the whole car. Perhaps to shine up the bumper during drives might be effective.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 22:41   #3 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Its a spray, but not a aerosal.

You pump it up like a super soaker, and spray it on the car.

University tests can prove this stuff works, but it would never come near my paint work.

I hate scratches on my car, so much so, I was considering trading my newly purchsed AUII for a BA because I can't stand the scratches on it. (And I just got a promotion/payrise)
Old 04-13-2003, 23:01   #4 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Hmm.. unless it gets UNDERNEATH the dirt, how can it NOT cause the dirt to be rubbed into the paint???

I'm totally unconvinced. Sounds like Hiclone talk to me!
Old 04-13-2003, 23:05   #5 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

They have a similar product here. ANything you take to your car and spray on and wipe off is going to cause scratches. Of course you should not use a sponge to wash your car if you are concerned with scratching the paint. I use 10 soft cotton mits. I have one for each section of area on the car. Call me anal, but the fact that I never had swirls or scratches, fine or not fine on the impala is a testament to my anal ways. I always won best paint for my class.

Anyhow. Before i go off on a tangent. anything will scratch the surface. The best thing to do is to use a product that will cause minimal scratching. Once that is done a glaze the car.

If you have a newer car you should do this...now this is what i did to the Cobra the day I got it.

Took the car out and washed it with Dawn...not sure if you can get it there or not. This cut through all crap. All wax and any chemicals that were picked up in transport were removed. Dawn cut the grease and everything.

clayed the car. Took a clay bar and removed airborne contaminants, paint overspray, water spots, rail dust, industrial fallout, diesel fuel & catalytic converter residue and any other bonded surface contaminants from the paint. This is all on the car even new.

Once that was done I used products from Zaino Brothers.

I started with Z1 Polish Lok. I applied this in sections on the car. Of course I never swirled it on. I applied it in straight lines. I did not remove this. This lok actually enhances and deepens the shine. Once Dried I went to Z2

With the Z2 I applied it with the same pattern as the Z1 and then let it sit for 2 hours. Giving it enough time to haze over. Once it was hazed over i removed it with a 100% Cotton Towel. No fake fibers. Cut the sen edges off of the towel as well. removed it the same way as it was applied. No swirling. swirling is not good. Trust me on this one.

Once this was removed. I sprayed the car with z6 gloss enhancer. NO removal no wiping. I waited 6 hours and did sprayed it again. This time allowing it to haze over again and then wiped the excess. Once wiped....again with the same straight line removal I sprayed again and then applied another coat of Z2.

again following the same instructions above I applied and waited 2 hours. Then removed the hazed over product. I applied again another coat of z6 enhancer.

I repeated this z2 and z6 steps the following day. making sure i removed the dust that had built up on the car prior to applying a layer of z2.

Did this a total of 3 times for each and I was done. Let me say this....The car. I can take a picture of myself in the paint. And as you know the paint is Silver. I have done this on a Black car and my wifes Forest Green Metalic and you can see everything in that paint. You can read text clearly from a newspaper...mind you it is backwards, but you can read it.

Never SWIRL. The z6 is a gloss enhancer and can be used to remove light layers of grime and dirt, but not to wash a car with. I would stick to the good old version of car wash products out there and not the fly by night junk such as what was being peddled to you. I can get away with it on mine with the z6 only due to the fact my car has a mirror like finish that is smoother than a babys butt.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 23:19   #6 (permalink)

I think Meguiers have a similar product, never used it though.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 00:35   #7 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

While I can't say I've ever used it, I can tell you the guys that make Dri-Wash have been in business for at least 8-10 years that I know of, as I did the original proposals for their display packaging way back then when the creator of the stuff came into the company I worked for at the time.

I can remember him talking about CSIRO testing and stuff (though not what the tests were), but at least they've been around for a while now, so they must be selling the stuff to someone.

I am still a sceptic, and doubt I'd use it on my own car, but I have sat and watched a guy from the NSW Porsche Club who swears by it do his 911 with the stuff, and admittedly it looked pretty good when he was finished.

As best I can tell, it works the same as the Meguires 'no wash' polish in the squirt bottle that Strider recommended to me before FPV day (still at work and can't remember name - help me out here Gary). I think I'd be washing the heavy dirt off the car first, and using it as a shine protector like Meguires.

Cheers
Jason
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:36   #8 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sparkle
Hmm.. unless it gets UNDERNEATH the dirt, how can it NOT cause the dirt to be rubbed into the paint???

Will it scratch stripes???

:s3 :s6:
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:56   #9 (permalink)
The cat in the hat

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sparkle

Im shocked Sparkles!

A post in a thread like this and not one mention of Enjo(tm)

oh hang on, that would be my affliction
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:09   #10 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

OT- regarding Sparkles sig-
ok, that 's funny!!

I just looked up Hiclone, Dampolator and fuel magnetisor. Trust holden to think up such an idea as tha 'dampolator'- Another off topic thought.... can you image the big V8 ad except using the S instead of SS? Hey skaifey, is the the new commodore? is it the one with the big V8? No? Does it at least have a Dampolator?
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub