Are drive.com.au trouble makers?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2002, 18:35   #1 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

Are drive.com.au trouble makers??

Today's article on drive.com.au has highlighted the POWER WAR between Ford and Holden. Now i maybe jumping the gun here (i personally do not like the articles written by drive) but are they trying to stir trouble? I mean they say in the article how the power is compared to super cars from the world, and compare to the yesteryear where the HO reigned. However they do not really highlight how the cars have changed over the years. Ok yes the Falcon has 182kw, but it has ABS brakes, weighs a shit load more, and has option of traction control. Now cars these days are a lot safer than they used to be, airbags etc. Worse quote was:
"Car-makers happily increase their vehicles' power but rarely provide brakes to match. For example, the latest Ford XR6 Turbo -- which is as quick as a Porsche -- has the same brakes as a Falcon taxi. Premium brakes cost $2990."

I would like to hear others opinions on this.

BTW if the chance of Bill McKinnon reading this heres to you
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2002, 18:42   #2 (permalink)

One of the dangers with any form of media is that they pander to those companies that spend more $$$$ on advertising. Now have a look through your average Drive Section or the whole age for that matter (including the weekend magazines) and guess which car manufacturer has the greatest number of adds??

That's right Holden do by a very long way!!

So despite the best of intentions, a lot of Journo's know where their paycheque comes from and turn a blind eye to deficiencies in a certain auto makers products. For instance are the brakes in the SV8 any different to those in the Exec?? I don't think so!!

With a lot of journos EGO plays the biggest part in exactly what they write and they are by and large a law unto themselves!! If Holden throws on a magnificent, luxurious product launch, at a fabulous location and does a lot of sucking up, they will get good reviews regardless of the product!! The same goes for Ford however and the real difference is that Ford does not stroke journos egos as well as Holden nor do they seem to recognise just how important it is to keep their nose brown when dealing with many of the EGO Rich journos out there!!!

I don't like it!! But that's just the way the world goes round!!
Old 11-24-2002, 18:43   #3 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Re: Are drive.com.au trouble makers??

Quote:
Originally posted by 104625
"Car-makers happily increase their vehicles' power but rarely provide brakes to match. For example, the latest Ford XR6 Turbo -- which is as quick as a Porsche -- has the same brakes as a Falcon taxi. Premium brakes cost $2990."
What a stupid and misleading comment. They forgot the mention that the 'Taxi 'brakes now are awesome on a BA. mm they are taking the "class is half empty" strategy. I guess it wouldn't be as interesting if 'Drive' stated that the humble BA Taxi's will now have brakes ungraded to XR performance status for extra saftey and possibly good enough to stop a Porsche!!!

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 19:11   #4 (permalink)

im glad they didnt say "while it should have brakes like a Porsche" but i dont know too many manfacturers, producing mass produced cars, that has brakes like a 911's.
Barra_4_Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 19:30   #5 (permalink)
17" is for 4cyc

That same article is in the Drive Section in yesterdays Sun Herald. Read it last night and it absolutely amazed me how some journos love to spin the s - - t !!!!.
I'm all for safety etc but never is there negative press when GM bring out there next horsepower improvement.
It will be interesting when GM bring out their replacement for the VY as i've heard its a awesome package. Will there be any negative press ? I doubt it.
Its the same in all markets for all types of products, one company is very good at getting ppl on side where as the other company has a better product but cannot penetrate to get the market share etc etc....
The GM spin doctors have done a good job for a long time, you can tell how this guy states the comparisons very much against Ford.
Look at it this way, it just confirms Ford and FPV combined have turned it around and has got an all around package across the whole range now to give GM/HSV a run for their money........
Old 11-24-2002, 19:55   #6 (permalink)
Future XR6T Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluedriver
That same article is in the Drive Section in yesterdays Sun Herald. Read it last night and it absolutely amazed me how some journos love to spin the s - - t !!!!.
They're owned by the same company - Fairfax.
DZ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 20:19   #7 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

I spat my beer up on the computer screen when I read this tripe!!!

But, I used my Boss's jacket to clean the beer up and the computer is still working.
Old 11-24-2002, 20:38   #8 (permalink)
Proud EF Owner

Well, I guess you could call Drive.com.au trouble makers in a lot of ways, but then they go and post a pretty decent review on the XR6T in the "New Car Reviews" section

They state - "The Holden V8's domination of the home-grown performance sedan market is finished. To borrow a backyard cricket term, it's six and out."

And just a little bit earlier - "A steal at the price, the Falcon XR6 Turbo is the star of the BA range. The turbocharged 4.0 six is the first Australian powerplant to combine civility and brute force. In this respect, it compares with the engines in far more expensive BMWs, Benzes and Jaguars."

Those are some pretty nice things to say, I thought.......

Here is the Review, it is actually pretty positive read - especially since it was also written by Mr Bill McKinnon.......

Is this classic hyprocracy or what???

http://www.drive.com.au/news/article...XLS3AYS8D.html
iLoveMyEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 21:06   #9 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

Quote:
Originally posted by iLoveMyEF
Well, I guess you could call Drive.com.au trouble makers in a lot of ways, but then they go and post a pretty decent review on the XR6T in the "New Car Reviews" section

They state - "The Holden V8's domination of the home-grown performance sedan market is finished. To borrow a backyard cricket term, it's six and out."

And just a little bit earlier - "A steal at the price, the Falcon XR6 Turbo is the star of the BA range. The turbocharged 4.0 six is the first Australian powerplant to combine civility and brute force. In this respect, it compares with the engines in far more expensive BMWs, Benzes and Jaguars."

Those are some pretty nice things to say, I thought.......

Here is the Review, it is actually pretty positive read - especially since it was also written by Mr Bill McKinnon.......

Is this classic hyprocracy or what???

http://www.drive.com.au/news/article...XLS3AYS8D.html
Yes, but even if they say that Ford is this good, the shit gets shovelled thick and fast onto ford in a comparison of the two companies.:shifty:
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 21:24   #10 (permalink)
Proud EF Owner

That is perfectely true dude......

I guess I was just trying to point out how in one article Mr. McKinnon can have a whinge about how our locally made cars are becoming too powerful and hence potentially dangerous, and then write what I believe in this case to be a very postitive review on one such locally made fast car (even stating in no uncertain terms that its game over for the holden V8).....

Really - If Mr McKinnon is going to have a whinge about Australia's fast cars, he shouldn't write positive reviews on them at all.

On a side note, I think that it is a credit to both Holden and Ford that they can build these truly unique cars, with world beating performance and prices that the average person who has an interest in motoring can afford (and on such a low budget)....

It is what gives the Australian Car Industry its soul and what makes it ultimately sucessful.........

Could you imagine an Australia with no Holden Commodore (or otherwise) or Ford Falcon???? It makes me shudder......

Australians - Ford and Holden people alike - should be very proud of these cars as there is nothing like them anywhere else in the entire world of motoring........
iLoveMyEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub