Drive - Fair or not - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2002, 20:08   #1 (permalink)
plonky

Thumbs down Drive - Fair or not

This issue has been covered before and I am loathe to start a thread that is not evidence based.......however.

Having gained a recent acquisition within the office who is a personal friend of the current Editor of Drive ( A Fairfax subsidiary ) the said Editor offered a drive of the new Fairmont Ghia to that person.

During the drive the Editor made hugely disparaging comments to this person based upon his own opinions of the Ghia and the company. These comments covered the whole Ford falcon range. This is his right.

The Editor also suggested that the VY SS is the best motor vehicle on sale in Australia and if he needed to buy a car this would be his choice. Again, this is his right.

However, if the Editor is so strong in his opinion, the question must be asked, does his opinion influence the way he assesses the car supplied by Ford.

A professional would say no, but so far the only critical comments I have seen about the BA have been in Drive. Even to the extent of an article about some ridiculous assertion about the legality of the additional lights fitted to the Fairmont Ghia.

Of course the Editor is allowed his own subjective opinion and gossip. After all that is all a journalist writes.....their view and their perception accompanied by undisputed facts.

A true journalist would accept constructive criticism because everyone can perceive things differently.

I don't expect every motoring editor to run a story that heaps undeserved praise upon a product. I do expect an unbiased review of a product accompanied by undisputed fact.

Unfortunately for this person, the conversation he had has been widely touted amongst people that believe everything they read, and the effect has been made. I for one do not agree that "Even though they spent a lot of money on the BA, it is still a sh%t car, still handles like crap and fleet markets shouldn't go near a BA" This is not a word for word transcription, just paraphrased as told to me.

I know that journalists read these forums and I will qualify this thread by saying I respect their opinion, but a reader (as his right) must ask the question "Where does strong personal opinion influence a review of a product"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2002, 20:28   #2 (permalink)

Coundl't agree more. Drive over the years have been the poorest source of information on anything to do with Ford or Holden. Its sad that an editor (if this is true) has such an opinion, and would not suprise me the slightest.

I just dont read Drive anymore, unless i am linked there to an article that actually has some meaning......
FORDV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 20:44   #3 (permalink)

eek

It would take a very strong personality to be objective and balanced in their views when commenting on most matters. It is an unfortunate human trait to allow bias to creep into just about everthing.Especially when journalists have the power to influence so many ppl with just the written word and there is no quick way to debate the credentials and facts of the author. It takes another article leaning the opposite way to try and balance things, the end result is that the reader has to wade through bias to get enough fact to be able to make up their mind.
From what you have posted it would appear that this particular journo has a barrow to push and isn't all that interested in the objective fact of the subject
Old 10-29-2002, 20:57   #4 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Looking at WHO has done the reviews on the Ford vehicles over the years at drive.com.au, the disparity between the real journos and the lackeys is pretty visible.

Your post Plonky has answered a lot of questions I've held regarding the drive.com.au team!!
Old 10-29-2002, 21:08   #5 (permalink)
plonky

As I said I would not post this thread if it was not evidence based. The comments made by the Editor were directly to the recent acquisition within the office.

I have previously had a number of PM's with an Editor of another magazine, who (unfortunately for him) had just taken over the magazine and was subject to my vitriol. This was unintended by me because I was unaware of the change. This person I have found to be fair and reasonable and I have dealt with him in the past.

I do have a detailed knowledge of that industry (media) through a number of detailed inquiries I have been involved in.

I wouldn't post it if the version, as relayed to me, wasn't true and to avoid the wrath of innocent parties I have posted the information as told to me, and qualified the post with what is a pesons right to personal opinion and what is professionalism.
Old 10-29-2002, 21:27   #6 (permalink)

Well said.
FORDV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 21:37   #7 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

I know many non-Ford fans may see this thread as a winge, but I have had many conversations down at the pub about a certain knob Age journalist and all agree he spins the biggest anti-Ford garbage around. And it's definately not just Ford fans agreeing with me on this.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 21:47   #8 (permalink)

I agree. Drive have not done themselves any favours and there reputation is quickley going down the drain, with there ability.

I think they need a major re-shuffel.
Falcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 22:12   #9 (permalink)
Evil Holden Overlord

You'll never be able to eliminate all personal bias from journos - they are only human ...

Also, anyone who beleives that BA is beyond reproach, and is perfect in everyway, is also deluding themselves ...
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 22:21   #10 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
Also, anyone who beleives that BA is beyond reproach, and is perfect in everyway, is also deluding themselves ...
That is true Jeffery - but certainly nobody has ever said that!

What we are questioning is when a journo takes it on themselves to critisize aspects of a car which are never critisized anywhere else, whether that be by other journos, or in general opinion in the public view. When this occurs, any doubt about the review is justified.

In the case of drive's review on the BA, this is evident - drive has made several critisizms that no other publication has, and unless the theory is that "all the other journos / publications are Ford biased / have been bought out by Ford", then there is cause for reasonable doubt. Simple as that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub