Driver who ran down officer 'was re-enacting computer game' - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2002, 16:03   #1 (permalink)

Driver who ran down officer 'was re-enacting computer game'

From SMH

The driver of a stolen car who killed a highway patrol officer during a police chase was re-enacting one of his PlayStation computer games, The Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit, the Supreme Court heard yesterday.

Trevor Edward Holton, 26, has pleaded not guilty to murdering Senior Constable Jim Affleck, 43, near Campbelltown on January 14 last year.

In his opening address yesterday, the Crown prosecutor, Mark Tedeschi, QC, said that during the pursuit Holton was ''testing his car rallying skills" and was ''engaged in a real life re-enactment of the computer game".

''To him the lives of other road users and the lives of police officers were just there as props to provide the thrill of the chase, and they were expendable in the pursuit of that thrill. Jim Affleck's death was just part of this real-life game."

The court was told the chase began about 8.30am after another man, who was a passenger in the four-wheel-drive, committed a bag snatch at Moss Vale. Also in the car was the man's four-year-old stepdaughter.

For the next 40 minutes police chased the stolen vehicle as it drove on the wrong side of the road along the M5 freeway and the old Hume Highway, reaching speeds of up to 180kmh.

At one stage the passenger got out of the car and tried to take the girl with him but Holton sped off with her.

Senior Constable Affleck tried to stop the vehicle by throwing road spikes across the M5 but Holton swerved across two lanes to miss the spikes and hit the officer, Mr Tedeschi said. His body landed 80 metres away.

The stolen vehicle somersaulted and landed on its roof, with the girl, uninjured, still in the back. Holton fled but was arrested that night.

In a police interview Holton had said he ''was not prepared, at any stage, to get pulled over or stop". He had seen Senior Constable Affleck running across the road in front of him trying to get the spikes under the vehicle.

''I couldn't swerve; I couldn't dodge him. I was going too fast. It's like he [Affleck] didn't care what happened.

''To me it was like it was suicide. He could see how fast I was going. He could see I could not stop.

''I have just been so angry ... he could have avoided me so easy."

He had said he knew about road spikes from playing the computer game, in which the main method of avoiding spikes is to veer off the road onto a median strip or the grass.

The trial continues.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2002, 16:53   #2 (permalink)
Rail Rider

Gee! That is one seriously disturbed individual. Fry him!
Old 05-13-2002, 17:00   #3 (permalink)
Don't be a sheep

blaming Need for speed, what a crock of shit, at times like this I wish we still had the death sentence
Old 05-13-2002, 17:58   #4 (permalink)

oops... didn't see this and i posted the same thing in The Asylum.
Old 05-13-2002, 18:14   #5 (permalink)
Copyright �2003

C0ckhead.

(excuse language)

the house of grunt
Click on the above link to go to a site about my cars, old and new.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 18:50   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

time for people to stop treating crims as the victom and to hang the arsholes
he could have avoided me ,you hadnt stollen the car you f#$$@n turd he wouldnt have been there at all .
should start calling all crims barts (i didnt do it)
VXdazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 20:22   #7 (permalink)

I'm heavily into PC gaming and i'm getting sick and tired of people constanly trying to get off crimes by blaming computer games...

Man I play Gran Turismo, Quake, Counterstrike, Grand theft auto... shit the list goes on so do all my friends, we don't kill people, or drive around like idiots cause the games told us how to...(my hooning is completely my own choice :o)

FFS stop trying to blame all the worlds problems on ;
Parents
Music
Movies
Televison
Computers
Being bullied at school

TAKE RESPONSOBILITY FOR YOUR OWN GODDAMN ACTIONS
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 22:18   #8 (permalink)
The Third Power

i heard on the radio this morning that he was testing out his driving skills

his a complete dickhead!
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 22:59   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Behemoth
I'm heavily into PC gaming and i'm getting sick and tired of people constanly trying to get off crimes by blaming computer games...

Man I play Gran Turismo, Quake, Counterstrike, Grand theft auto... shit the list goes on so do all my friends, we don't kill people, or drive around like idiots cause the games told us how to...(my hooning is completely my own choice :o)

FFS stop trying to blame all the worlds problems on ;
Parents
Music
Movies
Televison
Computers
Being bullied at school

TAKE RESPONSOBILITY FOR YOUR OWN GODDAM ACTIONS

your not wrong there
VXdazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 23:28   #10 (permalink)
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks

One word for this: bizarre.
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub