Driving from Melbourne to Adelaide - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2003, 07:49   #1 (permalink)

Driving from Melbourne to Adelaide

During the Easter weekend, I went on a little road trip to Adelaide. On the way there in Vic, cars were averaging about 90-100km/h i guess, people pulling over all the time to 'revive' from the boredom of being compelled to drive so slow. For those who wanted to get past the slow traffic anyways were frowned upon, because the slow people took up the right lane too (when there was one). Then we hit the border. All of a sudden, the slower cars were sitting on 120km/h in the left lane, the roads seemed smoother and safer (with the exception to the yellow obstacles SA decided to put in the middle of the road, they'll ruin ya suspension if ya dont know they are there)
Driving suddenly turned fun, I only saw one cop between SA border and Adelaide, I felt more at peace.
On the way back, same experience, what a breeze and a joy driving was. Then I hit the Vic border, first town I see cops pulling over families at a TRAP the typical just over the bridge where the 60 sign was! Now they never overtook us, so they couldnt have been going that fast! What a contrast this was. ANd then night came, and i noticed if i overtook anybody in Victoria that was socially unacceptable and caused other motorists to leave their hi-beams on to punish me. And they think we need more speed cameras here?
My message to the SA Premiere, keep it up! Don't follow us!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2003, 08:07   #2 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

i spent a bit of time in sa dureing my my younger years of traveling australia great place to drive much like canberra except the lap rules in glenelg
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 23:47   #3 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

Pity the Glenelg car park no longer exists, no where to stop anymore.. just drive up and down jetty rd these days.
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 00:14   #4 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

Yeah most people I know who have to drive through Victoria dread hitting the boarder for those reasons! Cops in SA will also give you more leway (e.g. often up to 120)
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 00:42   #5 (permalink)
Movin!

Good example there chevypower, in a few years times we all might have to start riding pushies in Victoria...although they probably will have cameras on them too
Old 05-02-2003, 01:47   #6 (permalink)

I spent this past Christmas in Adelaide and I have to disagree about the road quality. As soon as we crossed the border into SA (at Bordertown, naturally) the road became very choppy and incrediably noisy, so much so that I had to slow down to 90kph to keep the car from jumping all over the place (Magna wagon hire car which is a relatively quiet cruiser). I do agree with your reference to the higher 110kph SA speed limit. Made driving more enjoyable and it was "fun" trying to keep the trip computer average at/above 100kph considering we made 2 stops, one at Keith for 1 hour to feed 4 month baby.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 08:28   #7 (permalink)
what front end?

im am sick to death of of crappy roads in victoria, the other day i was driving along a brand new section of road and i hit a pothole with my front left wheel which was almost a metre long and about 400 cm wide! as i said this was on a road which has been finished for about 2 months!

i thought i had screwed my suspension and my wheel but after getting it checked it was fine...but this shouldnt be necesary, we pay all these taxes and the government makes millions of dollars of driving infringments...where does it go??

and referring to victorian drivers, i too have noticed a big difference between SA drivers and vic drivers..ive been through the "pass someone, get high beemed" experience a few times..its the worst..

well theres my winge, sorry guys.
john

written off
[LIM-OZN] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 12:10   #8 (permalink)
BSR Driver #3 - Team ADD

Quote:
Originally posted by Curls
I spent this past Christmas in Adelaide and I have to disagree about the road quality. As soon as we crossed the border into SA (at Bordertown, naturally) the road became very choppy and incrediably noisy, so much so that I had to slow down to 90kph to keep the car from jumping all over the place (Magna wagon hire car which is a relatively quiet cruiser). I do agree with your reference to the higher 110kph SA speed limit. Made driving more enjoyable and it was "fun" trying to keep the trip computer average at/above 100kph considering we made 2 stops, one at Keith for 1 hour to feed 4 month baby.
Yhea as you cross in SA it becomes very choppy and alot of road noise the first time i ventured over to the Welfare State in 2002 i thought my car was rooted but after a few more trips i have acoustomed myself to the stretch of Highway i call wake up road.

Simon
TeamKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 03:41   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by TeamKiwi
Yhea as you cross in SA it becomes very choppy and alot of road noise the first time i ventured over to the Welfare State in 2002 i thought my car was rooted but after a few more trips i have acoustomed myself to the stretch of Highway i call wake up road.

Simon
Exactly the stretch I meant. I had to slow down to stop our baby from waking up or my kidneys from popping out as well.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub