Drove a VX GenIII today - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2002, 19:20   #1 (permalink)

Drove a VX GenIII today

Ok this probably doesn't sound very exciting to most of you but I usually cruise around in a stock I6 EB so this was a treat for me. I only drove around the block so it is hard to give a full review of it but it was OK. The biggest letdown is the auto trans, it simply doesn't know which gear it should be in. It seems to handle and stop OK. I didn't really push it to it's limits as it is the Director's car and I didn't want to bend it (especially since it has just come back from panelshop after he sideswiped a parked car...). The power is nice, addictive even. Going around a corner it is all too easy to light 'em up, couldn't manage it from standing start though, maybe with some practice this could change. The other dowside to the car is the rattle coming from the 4788km old motor, it just sounded like tappets and it seemed to quieten down after I let it idle for a a moment or two. You can't hardly hear the motor or exhaust until you start getting up in the revs but when it nears redline it is a sweet song. All in all not a bad car.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2002, 20:01   #2 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Try driving a new XR8

Now that's impressive!
Old 04-11-2002, 20:05   #3 (permalink)

Love to mate, the only prob is I haven't got a spare $50K at the moment...

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 20:41   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

I have driven a VX 1 SS Auto and like you found the Auto the main problem for the same reasons you mentioned. You go to drive with half a throttle and it changes up before you want it to no matter which modes selected which pissed me off. Fords are far more superior in this area aswell as the obvious others.
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 20:51   #5 (permalink)
Shhh, we're hunting Lions

Apart from the auto the main problem with my brothers VX SS is excessive tyre wear.

A little side note, a couple of weeks back my brother hit a Roo in the SS which required it to go to the Panel Shop, no biggie these things happen all the time but for Gods sake you would think the car would last the way it was for more than 2 days. Hell No, some dickhead backed into it leaving some damage and drove off without leaving a note or anything. Suffice to say my brother is not a happy chappy.
Adam W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 01:29   #6 (permalink)

a few days ago i drove a vx commodore ss for work and i also agree that the autos are simply shit...not as good as fords btr autos..
other than the auto, its not too bad for a holden!!!
they need to make the engine sound better tho, at work we revved the v8 a bit and you'd swear it was a v6 if u didn't check under the bonnet!!!
i really want to drive an XR8 tho...
fordforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 02:06   #7 (permalink)
Veteran revhead

I concur on the trans. The BTR one is heaps better.

The stock GenIII exhaust is actually the same as the supercharged V6 system, which explains it's quiteness (and retriction).

Needless to say, that was the first thing that got assholed from my car!

So when you buying one Falchoon.

You know you want to.

Join us.

Come to the OTHER side...

[insert Darth Vader voice]
Old 04-14-2002, 05:38   #8 (permalink)
Movin!

i have been with a mate in a new ss a few weeks ago...it had plenty of stick and was visually an appealing car. But having driven an XR8 more, it can clearly be noticed that the power delivery as well as the handling of the XR is slightly in front of the ss. The SS has more speed but the Ford V8 delivers the power more evenly, plus dives into corners more sharply than the SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub