Drove a VX.SS - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2001, 17:15   #1 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Drove a VX.SS

I was given the keys to one of my mates VX SS to try it out.I have not driven one of the latest 220 kw Falcon's to make a comparison and can only really compare to my twin turbo awd Subaru.The interior was pretty average but that has been pointed out before.The ride and handling in my books was bloody good.I pushed it pretty hard for a big vehicle round some country roads and it was no prob.A lot quiter than the Sub inside the cabin and the handling was never going to be like the AWD but it was no slug round a corner.I did 2 or 3 hard throttle starts without purposely frying the tyres and found off the mark the car was pretty quick but not as good as i was expecting.The turbo Sub feels pretty close but mid range overtaking in the holden is excellent.Giving it full throttle at 100 kph is awesome,in fact it was so good I did it quite a few times.In this bracket it really shines and makes the Sub feel tired.The real downside area is up in the rev's.I held it hard and wound it out in the rev's and there was nothing up there.You can really hear it whinging at 5000 and at 5500 me mate was starting to swear at me and it was pointless anyway as it didn't generate any more power.At 4500 to 5000 the Sub is just starting to get going and there is extreme power that builds hard as the rev's build with no protesting from the engine right through to 6000 or more if you are willing in fact the engine takes on a smooth free revving sound and feel as opposed to the VX. Everything aside I thought the car was a pretty good package and the owners would probably be pretty happy but it's not me.I need to drive a 220 kw Falcon now and get a good comparison.The new OHC V8 for the Falcon should give us a good free revving car.
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2001, 19:11   #2 (permalink)
BSR Field Agent

I trust you disinfected yourself once you got out....
You never know what can can catch from one of those.... lol..

Nipper....
Nipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 21:06   #3 (permalink)
Aus ls1 *********

vx ss

Did the ss have an aftermarket exhaust or was it stock?
I know that the breathing department suffers big time with the stock exhaust.
Just for yours and others info, the exhaust on a LS1 is the same system that Holden use on a supercharged V6 :(
I noticed as soon as I had the new pipes fitted that I had a big improvement over the standard system right thru the rev range but most noticably above 4800 rpm. It pulls like a 15 y/o boy on steriods above 4800 with the new pipes compared to when I had the stockies.

Glad you like the car and I think it should be compulsory to drive both hard before making comparisons.
HRT 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 03:01   #4 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: vx ss

Quote:
Originally posted by HRT 8
Did the ss have an aftermarket exhaust or was it stock?
I know that the breathing department suffers big time with the stock exhaust.
Just for yours and others info, the exhaust on a LS1 is the same system that Holden use on a supercharged V6 :(
I noticed as soon as I had the new pipes fitted that I had a big improvement over the standard system right thru the rev range but most noticably above 4800 rpm. It pulls like a 15 y/o boy on steriods above 4800 with the new pipes compared to when I had the stockies.

Glad you like the car and I think it should be compulsory to drive both hard before making comparisons.
The car was stock standard.If that is the case I would definately whack on an exhaust.I'm now waiting for someone to hand me the keys to a 220 Falcon.
Old 09-02-2001, 03:03   #5 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nipper
I trust you disinfected yourself once you got out....
You never know what can can catch from one of those.... lol..

Nipper....
LOL I came straight home and read a Ford magazine and logged in to Ford forums to put me back on the right track.:D :D
Old 09-02-2001, 16:17   #6 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

I was crossing the road in the dark last night and heard a beuatiful V8 Rumble coming down the road. I stopped and looked to see what it was....
VU Ute ! 5.7L... and 15" Steelies.... looked like ****., but made a nice note...

Most of the the 5.7L's had a non existant/quite note.... But this one was nice.. reaal nice..
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 16:20   #7 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

I am too scared to drive a VX SS.... when I drove a VT Exec I was nearly assimilated into their collective. I wanted to trade my AUII on one!!!

But my blood was too blue to be assimilated.....So I just decided to put up with the rough as guts AU suspension and noise instead of the smooth and quiet comodore ride :D

NO DONT KILL ME I AM STILL ON YOUR SIDE! :D
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 17:51   #8 (permalink)
Autralian Ford Member

Thumbs up

Glad to hear a report without bias BigBlockFord :)
Morgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 19:05   #9 (permalink)
Australian TE50 AU1 Member

When in the market for a V8 I tested a friends VTII SS and then an AU1 XR8, with185kw. I found the SS to be exactly what motoring magazines have stated, powerful, quick in a straight line, but when it comes to cornering the steering it was wooden and non-communicative. The XR8 on the other hand was fantastic, not as quick, but cornering in the thing was much more enjoyable. I will guarantee that if you test the 220kw XR8, you will be left in no doubt which is the better car. As for looks, obviously it's a matter of personel taste, I drool over the XR8, but the SS just looks like another Commodore with a few extra bits.

On the other hand, a friend has just bought a HSV XU6 and I must admit it looks very mean and impressive.
TeeHee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 19:08   #10 (permalink)
Champion Goose

The difference in appearance between an XR and a Forte is a lot more evident than the difference between an SS and an Executive. (guess that's an advantage of an ugly base model-more room for improvement, but then again the Commy doesn't exactly impress me either).
XAHardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub