Dubya quietly works on the draft/conscription - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2004, 06:41   #1 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Dubya quietly works on the draft/conscription

Thought this might be interesting to some - including our US buddies.
Looks like Dubya is trying to kick start conscription if he comes back in in 2005.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/...228330,00.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2004, 07:44   #2 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

Re: Dubya quietly works on the draft/conscription

That cant be real.

U.S Govt. bringing back conscription would get bombed out by the voters big time.

Imagine having conscription here!

Just another Eseries...
Old 06-08-2004, 07:45   #3 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

yeah sounds great NOT. bit of a worry seing we follow just about every thing the yanks do lately
Old 06-08-2004, 09:50   #4 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Dont worry about that false story. This is just rumours and more rumours. This has been going on for years. It actually surfaced back during the first gulfwar.

The two bills that they have talked about have been stonewalled and just are sitting there to die. They have actually had many attempts at this over and over through the years, only to have the bills die a lonely and horible death. The prospect of a draft going back into law is as likely as the Queen giving birth right this second to a new heir to the thrown. It isnt likely to happen any time soon!
Old 06-08-2004, 14:42   #5 (permalink)
BOFH

Sounds like left wing pre-election scare mongering to me. It will never happen. And why should it, the US already has a superb full time army, more troops then it is using and enough technology to remove the need for mass troop assaults. It's not 1944 anymore! John Sutherland (the writer) is a classic "headline" writer, just do a search for his other articles, you'll see what I mean. He also obviously hates America. Heres another of his truely "insightful" articles (sarcasm dripping all over that comment)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0...208304,00.html

Old 06-08-2004, 14:56   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Damn, I signed up into the Army of my own free will but i definately hae a problem with forcing people. I also would have a problem if i was forced to serve alongside someone who was only there because they had to be, not because they felt any kind of patriotism.
Old 06-08-2004, 16:43   #7 (permalink)

I checked it and looks very similar to another one i read many years ago. A deffinite pre-election scare tactics. It won't happen.

1970 Fairmont XW 221 auto awaiting for restoration.
Old 06-08-2004, 18:01   #8 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

The two bills do exist, but John would be in a better position to tell us if they were stonewalled (which he did)
Old 06-08-2004, 21:33   #9 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

They do this often during election years to put a scare out as one party is supporting this bill and the other is not sort of thing. All part of the great propaganda machine that is the political system in the US. Wasting more money on useless banter than addressing the real points. Such as why we are spending 80 odd billion dollars in Iraq, yet not spending a dime internally. I can go on,but hell. That would only spark the tree huggers and useless ramblings of those that think that GWB is satan. Hell, all I can say is that he is better than Gore would have been and is better than John "fuk my country in the ass by being a non patriot" Kerry will every be.

But back on topic. The bills get placed in file 13 every time. Hell, the bills have gathered only 13 cosponsors among the other 534 members of Congress. The total available force - active duty, reserves and National Guard - numbers more than 2.4 million and only 130,000 U.S. troops are in Iraq as of right now, really there is no need for a draft, even if they increase the number of troops. A draft would flood the military with far more people than it needs at this time, further increasing spending that can be used elsewhere.

The talks of a draft have been stoked in part by opponents of the war in Iraq. During the Vietnam War, opposition to the draft was a major source of anti-war sentiment. Why else would you bring it up right now? We have enough troops and personel. Just as I said a tactic by those that oppose the war and oppose the current political leaders in charge. It is anti-war legislation. You start telling the 18- 25 yo population, about 3 - 4 million people, that you're doing to draft them, you're going to see one whopper of an anti-war movement and movement to remove certain political parties from office that back the war.

Both President Bush and the secretary of defense have stated on more than one occasion that there is no need for a draft for the war on terrorism or any likely contingency, such as Iraq. But hell lets just listen to know it all journalists.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:23   #10 (permalink)
Sex on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticSVT
They do this often during election years to put a scare out as one party is supporting this bill and the other is not sort of thing. All part of the great propaganda machine that is the political system in the US. Wasting more money on useless banter than addressing the real points. Such as why we are spending 80 odd billion dollars in Iraq, yet not spending a dime internally. I can go on,but hell. That would only spark the tree huggers and useless ramblings of those that think that GWB is satan. Hell, all I can say is that he is better than Gore would have been and is better than John "fuk my country in the ass by being a non patriot" Kerry will every be.

But back on topic. The bills get placed in file 13 every time. Hell, the bills have gathered only 13 cosponsors among the other 534 members of Congress. The total available force - active duty, reserves and National Guard - numbers more than 2.4 million and only 130,000 U.S. troops are in Iraq as of right now, really there is no need for a draft, even if they increase the number of troops. A draft would flood the military with far more people than it needs at this time, further increasing spending that can be used elsewhere.

The talks of a draft have been stoked in part by opponents of the war in Iraq. During the Vietnam War, opposition to the draft was a major source of anti-war sentiment. Why else would you bring it up right now? We have enough troops and personel. Just as I said a tactic by those that oppose the war and oppose the current political leaders in charge. It is anti-war legislation. You start telling the 18- 25 yo population, about 3 - 4 million people, that you're doing to draft them, you're going to see one whopper of an anti-war movement and movement to remove certain political parties from office that back the war.

Both President Bush and the secretary of defense have stated on more than one occasion that there is no need for a draft for the war on terrorism or any likely contingency, such as Iraq. But hell lets just listen to know it all journalists.
Maybe they have new intelligence on N'Korea, Syria etc becoming a significant nuclear threat to the free world blah blah blah and this is simply preparation for the worst that has yet to come....or maybe it's all just bollocks. You'd need at least 2 million soldiers to invade N'Korea successfully. How would we as civilians really know what may happen in the future? Didn't Nostradamus predict something and what was that about the 4th world war being fought with sticks and stones?

When the time comes, i'll be out on the salt lakes with the GTP and a full tank of fuel. :)

Click here to see full size avatar....

Autos are for lazy drivers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub