DVD - Best value for money - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2002, 16:12   #1 (permalink)
Forever Ford Follower

Question DVD - Best value for money

Im currently in the market for a DVD player (yes i know im behind time).. however I'm not sure which options the best to take. Knowing alot of you have probably got one, I was just curious to which you thought was the best value for money?

Of course nothing to expensive, approximately around the $350-$450 or maybe a bit more but just wondering which brand, model etc would be the best way to go.

Cheers
XLR8_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2002, 17:02   #2 (permalink)
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB

if you ever in sydney visit campsie hifi, or online @ www.campsiehifi.com.au.

my recommendations are: go for a brand name (pioneer, sony etc.) see if dvd audio or progressive scan units are in your price range. how will you connect to a tv (composite, svideo, component) will it be connectedto a home theatre system or even just a decent home stereo?...

Falcon Good - Falcon Unbelievable
dkmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 17:17   #3 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

I have a Yamaha S520 unit. Should be in the 450-500 mark. Its a great value for money unit. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of other units such as kareoke play blah blah, just good old DVD. Supports DVD-R/-RW, DVD+RW, CDR/RW, MP3, VCD.

Great unit, just get it coded for region free play..
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 17:23   #4 (permalink)

I have a sony slimline cant remember the model no
i also have a sony flat screen tv so i use the component cables to connect(5 cables best quality) very happy with it.

was about $350.00
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 17:36   #5 (permalink)
cArSiK

If you want to go ultra cheap , pop into strathfield car radios (or what ever its called in your state) because they have them for $174.........how could you go wrong with that??!?!?!?
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 17:42   #6 (permalink)

XLR8 - There is no need to spend big money on a DVD player to get excellent quality picture and sound. If you have a $10k plasma screen and a sound theatre then you obviously can afford the best of the best. Why spend big bucks on technology that is getting better by the day???

I have a 100hz widescreen 76cm tv and a $268 XMS DVD player I bought at Brisbane car sound (Strathfield in NSW) on special. It has 2 kaoroke inputs and sound controls as well as digital/svideo/rca inputs. The cheaper brands will usually allow for all International zones as well. It plays all the current 'burning' methodologies and I can't fault the quality - which does have something to do with the TV of course.

So my point is don't spend big bucks on something that will be outdated very quickly - particularly when the cheaper stuff is almost as good. Do some research on the web and read some reviews.

Why ? Because I Can :-)
BammasAUIIIXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 17:46   #7 (permalink)
cArSiK

Quote:
Originally posted by cArSiK
If you want to go ultra cheap , pop into strathfield car radios (or what ever its called in your state) because they have them for $174.........how could you go wrong with that??!?!?!?
http://www.strathfield.com/category....tID=623&ps=100
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 17:59   #8 (permalink)

JVC all the way!!! Mine is an XV-523, which is the base model I think but it is damn impressive. Hasn't missed a beat, the picture is razor-sharp (even better with S-video) and the sound is great also. Do a search on the net for this model no. and you will find nothing but positive reviews from satisfied customers like myself.

The only downside to mine is that it doesn't play DVDs from other regions. However, given that mine is now over a year old and is only the entry level model I'm sure any player around the $400-500 range will have multi-region playback capabilities.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 21:32   #9 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

I got my DVD player (Pioneer) from Campsie Hifi with a free multi-region upgrae, 5 free dvds and a 5 free dvd rentals. Good deal and a great DVD player. I prefer Pioneer gear for Stereo/A/V (DVD, Receiver, etc), along with Panasonic (TV, Video) stuff.
Old 10-30-2002, 21:38   #10 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

I'm with Bammas, go the el cheapo brands unless your into really into audiovisual gear in a big way.
Its quite hard to tell the difference between most players and I got the distinct impression most of them have the same drives and decoder chips.
When I went looking a few months ago, I looked for S Video out (not the best but you need to go to RGB for ultimate) and optical out for digital sound output as my amp had optical in.

Ended up buying basically a no name brand - Auriga, it has all the fruit, multizone, Karoke etc and plays a Bali DVD that wouldn't play on a PS2.

After having it a few months, I really should have gone for a Playstation 2 or XBox, as in reality you don't end up using a dedicated DVD player that often. A games console would get much more use for your $$$'s.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub