EA Falcons, what's the real deal? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2003, 18:06   #1 (permalink)
CarNooB

EA Falcons, what's the real deal?

Ok, I've been slightly turned off buying one of these as there were several people who insisted that they're no good. I don't have a lot of money to spend so I'm not expecting to get the best quality car. I expect there to be some issues with a car that only costs $2,300, including rego.

But is the EA really that bad? The one I'm looking at purchasing is a series 1 with the CFI engine. It looks to be in very good condition, with a little bit of exterior rust (just from an exposed bit between the doors, a five minute fixit job, no deep rusting) and the oil was a bit dark but other than that, it seemed fine and purred like a kitten with the first start.

I've read that a lot of the issues with the EA were just over hyped rumours based on pre-production glitches which were rectified before any of the cars were actually produced. But then I get told they're a nightmare to maintain and have constant problems.

Yesterday I was ready to buy, today I'm not so sure. So what's the real deal with these cars? No BS, just the plain, honest, truth?
Modded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2003, 19:03   #2 (permalink)
true blue thru & thru

Re: EA Falcons, what's the real deal?

my family has a EA Spak & we have had little trouble with it, they are going real cheap these days, & IMO they are a bargain, im not sure about the rumours & history of problems but our EA is quite good.
Old 07-21-2003, 19:17   #3 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Nah they're bullshitting you.
They are at about the age where things start wearing out, it's well worth checking the suspension bushes/tie rod ends carefully, but as long as nothing's leaking you should get many years of good service out of it.

I'd probably be inclined to replace the rubbers and tie rod ends anyway unless they've just been done. Maintenance is not hard, parts are easy to find and relatively cheap.

Hehe...also you've got a forum full of people here willing to help!

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 19:44   #4 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

they are quite good and pretty dependable.
They can blow head gaskets though and that can cost a bit. I have and EB series 1 and I've had no drama's apart from a new radiator and water pump but in it's life time it's had a new head, new front end suspension and thats it.
My dad has and EA and he's had no trouble at all except for a new clutch.
Old 07-21-2003, 20:43   #5 (permalink)
4WD Jockey

If your going to get an EA, don't get a series 1 CFI.
Sorry to break hearts ladies and gentleman.
LoverBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 21:04   #6 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Try for the MPI engine.

The cars are pretty good. Check the head gasket, susp., cooling system, etc.
They are pretty reliable, and cheap to fix.
Only problem is sometimes u get a dodge shit who hides all the problems, same with any car.

Pretty good value i think.
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 21:14   #7 (permalink)

eafalcon.com has plenty of info on what to look for when buying an EA.
you should be able to manage a slightly better EA for that price, MPFI models shouldn't be too hard to come by, and a series 2 would by far be a better purchase, keep an eye out and you should get lucky
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 22:30   #8 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

I'm in the same boat as you Delglath, I'm in the process of getting a series 1 CFI s pac. I have looked into this & although I have had a lot saying not to get it this one has just recenlty had the head gasket done & has no rust and runs a hell of a lot better than my current ride.

I have been told to give her an oil change more regularly than normal but if thats what I need to do I will.......geez an oil change isnt hard

I personally believe with the age of them now & if they are still going they should be a good cheap runaround. I'm sure by now all the 'bad' ones will have fallen out of the system.......Well I hope

I must admit I am paying a little less than you but mates rates are wonderfull things.

Basically if you are happy with the overall outlook of the car & you have done your homework ......Go for it

:fairy

Check out the OzECruisers Inc. website HERE

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65
Mother Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 23:49   #9 (permalink)
Lost in FF

not nowing alot about the ea falcon i got stuck with a stock gl cfi 3speed for $1500 not bad, i've had it for a year and in that time nothing has gone wrong with it (that wasn't my fault note don't jump start other peoples cars..) as long as you look after it it should look after you. but like they all said try for MPI and a manual (if you want one)
Old 07-22-2003, 01:03   #10 (permalink)
CarNooB

Well, I put down a deposit today and it's going in to get a roadworthy check. The guy reckons that anything that requires doing to get it roadworthy, he'll fix so that at the end of the day, the car will cost me $2,450, which includes stamp duty and a years rego.

I confirmed that it's a EA Series 1 Falcon S, with the three speed auto and the 3.9l CFI engine. I'm the type of person who'll get my hands dirty and take care of the car so as far as maintenance is concerned, it'll be well looked after and I'll be able to do any small jobs that don't require a mechanic's expertise.

The way I figure it, is that any car I get for $2000 which includes a road worthy certificate, is going to require a bit of love'n'care to keep it running. The series II EA's seem to fetch a minimum of $3,000 (that I've been able to find) which is simply out of my budget range. Having seen a dozen other cars in the $2k range, this is the best deal I've come across yet, especially given it's condition (Very Good to Excellent, as far as I can tell). So although I'd love something else (anyone got an XW Falcon 500 GT for $2k?), it's about the best I can get for this price, and at least the E series has a fan club, so that means a network of support and advice and spare parts! :)

Thanks for the advice, but my instincts are telling me it's a good deal, despite what I've heard.
Modded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub