EA S blows a fuse over latest speed camera crap - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2002, 19:21   #1 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

EA S blows a fuse over latest speed camera crap

Heard Victorian traffic cop supremo on radio this a.m. saying they won’t give any allowance for speedo error now as speed kills blah blah blah vomit fart crap, as usual.

Interviewer says does 7km/h speedo error (allowing for 3 km/h speed camera error) between 100 and 110km/h really have any impact on road toll? Cop carries on about the importance of the TAC “drop 5km/h” campaign and how civilisation as we know it will end if everyone doesn’t drop 5km/h, so, yeah, an extra 7km/h is really important, like it’s right up there with child sex abuse and murder, and we’ll all die tomorrow if anyone goes any faster.

Interviewer fails to ask why, if dropping 5km/h is so important, don’t they make it law?

This is coming from the same source that allows about 99% of cops pinged on speed cameras to get off if they can come up with a valid excuse, like getting the free pizzas back to the station while they’re still hot.

What about the up to10% error in speedos? Drive your nice new car home on the freeway and get pinged for 107 km/h when it’s showing 100. Who pays? You. Whose fault is it? The manufacturer’s. What do you get for a $1,500 pre-delivery from the dealer? Sweet F.A. What’s it cost to get a speedo recalibrated? About $50, plus time and travel, because it’s not like the people who can do it are on every corner. Why can’t the speedo or car manufacturer do that before they sell it? Buggered if I know. Can you make them liable for the fine? No.

If the cops and the other “experts” are so bloody concerned about speed, why don’t they change the law to make manufacturers put accurate speedos in cars? And have free speed testing stations?

As for all the “evidence’ that speed kills that this zombie was referring to, I wouldn’t put too much faith in that.

I have just finished a coroner’s inquest that contradicts the original police conclusion (which itself was contrary to the weight of evidence they gathered beforehand) that a double fatality was caused solely by the deceased driver exceeding the posted limit of 80km/h by 30km/h. Amongst other things, it was clear from the original witnesses’ statements to police that there were no, or no reasonably visible, 80km/h signs in an otherwise 100k zone; that the deceased’s car was doing about 90-95, which was supported by the accident investigation police assessment of the wreck; and that the deaths arose primarily from certain hazards created by people other than the deceased. But it’s still been in the stats for several years as two deaths caused solely by speed, and probably will be forever, and it’s part of the “evidence” the alleged road safety experts use to tell us that speed kills.

Ironically, the hazards that killed these two people (three, really, because the other driver, although physically unhurt, never worked again and died a couple of years later effectively from the shock of it) resulted primarily and directly from traffic control measures approved by traffic engineers pursuant to their legislative authority.

I don’t see any road safety experts getting wound up about those needless deaths or calling for changes to the boneheads who profess to know how to ensure safety on the roads, yet I have to listen to this copper claiming that a few km/h really matters and that we should listen to him because he’s an expert when his own people couldn’t even assess clear evidence logically, instead opting for the demon speed as the cause, as bloody usual. Why should I think he is any smarter than the traffic “experts” who effectively caused these deaths or the coppers who wrongly attributed them to speed?

We are being fed bullshit beyond belief by people who keep saying that they are committed to reducing the road toll but whose actions are invariably linked to increasing revenue rather than investigating or taking other steps that would be a bloody sight more effective. I accept that they’re well intentioned to some extent, but that’s no excuse for refusing to get your head our of your arse and look around at the real world and try some effective measures for a change.

The best thing anybody could do for road safety would be to find a road safety expert and run over the bastard.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2002, 19:31   #2 (permalink)
gone

Right!

Im onto it!!!!!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 19:47   #3 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

This is absolute BS. I'd love to know where they come up with these figures/stats, and how they sleep at night knowing everything they have done has done sweet fark all to save lives, when they say it will.

Someone should run their car into a primary scholl at 50kmh, and say "shit, I didnt know that would happen, I was doing the speed limit and I know how to do a 3 point turn. strange..."

Let's see how they feel when they find out that driving at 50kmh wont save lives if stupid ppl are allowed to drive.

Solution to this problem.....ANARCHY..lol

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 19:48   #4 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Lets all start a 'Motorists Against Revenue Raising' party, and get a few FF members elected to state and federal senate and raise hell!
Old 03-26-2002, 19:50   #5 (permalink)
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member

Vote 1 - MARR
I'm all for it

1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia 5.0L Wagon,
Lowered, Tinted, 17" Speedy Ravens & 2.5" Sports Exhaust.
( 1 of 26 built )

AND

1985 Telstar TX5 Turbo, stock as a rock.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 20:04   #6 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by eb_5litre
Vote 1 - MARR
I'm all for it
I'll 2nd that.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 20:07   #7 (permalink)