Early Tyre Wear- Advice Please - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2003, 18:35   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Question Early Tyre Wear- Advice Please

I bought a 1999 AU Futura Sedan about 8 months ago which had basically sat in a showroom up until that point. It only had 272km on it when I drove it away.

The tyres on it were original and basically brand new. They are Goodyear NCT 5 215/60R16. One of the reasons I bought the car was because I didn't think I would have to spend anything on it for a couple of years, other than its normal service costs.

Anyway at 13000 km (they have not been rotated) the rear tyres were down to the markers and unroadworthy. I should have checked them earlier but I guess I just didn't think they would be a problem at such an early stage.

I spoke to a local Goodyear dealer and he basically said they were a crap tyre and would never put them on his car. He had a look at my tyres and agreed that the wear was even and the front tyres were also showing excessive wear. The tyres haven't been abused at all in anyway.

He told me that is wasn't his decision and left a message on the Goodyear Claims Officer (on holidays) who he deals with to find out if there was anything they could do Eg. replace or offer discount on some new tyres. The bloke I spoke to said he didn't think they would offer to do anything about it .

Not being an expert on tyres and tyre wear I feel even without rotation 13000 km is way to early to have tyres wearing out Just wondering if anybody might have some thought or be able to offer advice. Thanks.
Ford Futura Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2003, 18:48   #2 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Goodyear Eagle NCT5 according to goodyear.com.au are OEM for Fairmont and Fairmont Ghia and mention that they meet the requirements for braking, cornering and wet grip. This probably means they are a soft compound tire and 13,000km in start stop traffic, or poor quality roads would mean higher than normal wear rate.

Eagle GA Plus are what are on my dads AU2 Fairmont and his car has done 62,000km and only had the first set replaced after about 40,000km. These GA Plus tires are advertised as "Improved total milage" tires. As such they probably perform worse then the NCT5's that you have however they last longer.

Its all a trade off unfortunately. However 13,000 for 'brand new' tires sounds like excessive wear.

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 19:12   #3 (permalink)

Can i ask something not to do with the tyres? How come that car was so old and had not been sold and also what colour is it?

As for the NCT5's we had an AU2 Fairmont before the BA and it had done nearly 30000 kms and the tyres were only half worn (by the way this car is a city car that is always in traffic) so for the 13000 kms i find that very bad.
BIGBADAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 20:51   #4 (permalink)

NCT 5's are great tyres. I just replaced them after 60,000kms and thats city driving and rotating evry 10,000kms and keeping tyre pressures right. I think you drive alot harder than your letting on, or do you lend the car to someone else who doesn't drive so nice? These tyres are the best for wear and handling that I have found. especcially compared to earlier tyres that were fitted new to falcons.
harasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 20:56   #5 (permalink)

Yeah well with that AU2 of ours we absolutely thrashed it to death and i even did a defensive driving course in it. I think the key to success with any tyre is to have them alligned and rotated on a regular basis of say around 10000 kms or so.

As for your car something just isnt right, someone must have been doing something to make those tyres wear out so quickly. Another thing also i feel that the NCT 5's wear evenly on the front and the back, so i cant understand why yours have worn out so quickly on the back and not the front. Burnouts could be one reason.
Old 01-02-2003, 20:58   #6 (permalink)

Anothing thing didnt the AU1's come with Bridgestones and the AU2's come with Goodyears. Also didnt AU1 Futuras have 15 inch wheels not 16? Because that tyre size is telling me that those tyres should have been on a 16 inch rim.
Old 01-02-2003, 21:05   #7 (permalink)

the AU1 and 2's came with dunlop monza 200's and NCT5's and I think eagle GA's(really shit). it depends on the model eg forte to fairmont. Tyres are a high maintenance thing if you want them to last. If they are NCT5 they have to be 16". If they are 15" they are NCT3's
harasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 21:14   #8 (permalink)

My point exactly, the AU Futuras only had 15 inch alloys. AU2 Futuras had 16 inch alloys and i know they also had the NCT 5's.
Old 01-02-2003, 21:43   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

These tyre have not had any burnouts or any hard driving. I have had back surgery and suffer from chronic back pain still the last thing I want to do is anything stupid while driving. I consider myself very easy on brakes and I want the car to last so I treat the car with the utmost respect. I have done defensive and advanced driver courses so I would never consider myself an expert driver I certainly consider myself competent. I am 35 years old and well and truly over mistreating cars.

Perhaps they are just a dodgey rubber compound. The Manager at the local Goodyear was the person said he wasn't surprised they had worn so fast and said he doesn't recommend them to customers. He's the guy who's chasing it up for me.

You guys obviously know your cars you're right this tyre size aren't the ones recomended in the owners manual for this car. Like I said this was a showroom which I think was probably dressed up to look a bit different. It wasn't even first registered til July 2001.

I went back to the dealership I bought the car from and asked them about this and they said this tyre size wasn't an issue on these cars the guy from Goodyear said the same thing.

By the way it's white for XR6Man.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Ford Futura Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 21:53   #10 (permalink)

No worries mate, i hope they settle you up with a good deal, btw did you get it for a good price or what, sounds like a pretty good car if you got it for the right money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub