Are EA'S really that bad? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2002, 01:10   #1 (permalink)

Are EA'S really that bad?

Ok, to say i know nothing about cars in an understatement. My mate (FoMoCo4Eva) on the other hand is a car freak and obsessed with ford (much like you guys). Im currently in the process of buying my first car and have a maximum budget of about $6,000.

The other day i stumbled across a 1990 EA Fairmont Ghia. I must again underline my complete lack of car knowledge but at first site this car seemed an ok buy. I must also admit my love for funky unimportant gadgets and from what i could see this car had its fair share.

As a first car im really only expecting to keep it for a few years, im not interested in any modifications (other than a kick ass sound system) and arent all that fussed on breaking any land speed records. All im really concerned about is buying a heap of junk thats going to break down every five minutes. I dont know anything about EA's, EB'S, ED's or any other make of car so if theres anyone out there that could offer me some advice id much appreciate it.

By the way the 1990 EA Fairmont Ghia was around $5,500. ive been told that's a bit too much to pay but im really after a quick buy and could probably sacrifice a few hundred for something i like.

hope you guys can help
PotentialBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2002, 01:16   #2 (permalink)
RACE

I think if you have a good look around you should be able to find an EB or ED for that sort of money. Although it won't be the Ghia. An ED Futura may be the best compromise.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:17   #3 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

yeah, that does seem a bit much for a standard EA, i'm selling my EA for $5,000 and it has mags, body kit, lowered, exhaust, extractors, cam, 5 speed, sunroof, CD etc. etc. etc.
The main problem with EA's is the head gasket, get that checked out before you buy.
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 03:22   #4 (permalink)
GTHO4

I've seen an EA Ghia that is in excellent condition, 2nd owner and low k's for only $3750.
So it's not a matter of a few hundreds of dollars.

It's up to you but it pays to shop around and take a little time it will save you the heartache and dollars later.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:26   #5 (permalink)
Veteran revhead

You could buy a decent EBII for that, hell, I sold my EBII Fairmont V8 for about $8,200!!

I remember when they first came out, the very first ones had that God awful 3.2L motor in it. We had several ones come into work as company cars with 50-100ks on them, they were spitting out head gaskets like they were going out of fashion. If I recall, Ford did'nt want a bar of it at the time.

I think the 3.9L was okay though. Better get an EB though I reckon.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:07   #6 (permalink)

If you interested in performance at all I would recommend a 5speed. The difference between manual and Auto is huge.

But yeah, like what some other people have said $6k will get you an EB or ED, check the papers, there are plenty of deals around.

I wouldnt think a EA Ghia would be worth much more than $3500, unless it was a very low km rare 5speed version.

If you really want that EA Ghia, offer the dealer $3500, If he's smart he'll take it cause he should know its not wrth any more than that.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 05:18   #7 (permalink)
goooone

the early ones were pretty ordinary but is its a series 2 or 30th aniversery one they had cured most of its problems by then
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub