Economy Info Needed. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2003, 02:04   #1 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Question Economy Info Needed.

Gday

I got an assignment due soon and i need a little bit of info relating to

1, why different size engines (in capacity, and number of cylinders)give different fuel economy,

2, the technical reason why driving style has such a impact on fuel economy.

3, the difference age and condition of engine makes.

I know the basic reasons, but need to back up statements and claims with actual figures, and references.

For this assignment around 90 ppl were serveyed, which has given me all the basic detail, i just need some technical info on why such things influence fuel economy.

So if anyone has any links, or what ever, let us know

Thanks
Jase
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2003, 03:02   #2 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

Re: Economy Info Needed.

Do you buy Motor magazine?? They covered this in quite a lot of depth about 6 months ago. Maybe you could e-mail them and see if they will send you the article back. It would have been written by Barry Lake (I think he's a member here as well, maybe PM him) in Technically Torquing.

He did a large economy run in a new falcon or commie, and compared economy driving, normal driving, and leadfoot driving, and the results were very interesting, there was a massive difference.

Hope this helps
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 06:00   #3 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

for minimum emissions engines burn air/fuel at a 14.7:1 ratio (by weight)

under heavy acceleration that ratio can go down to as low as 12:1 or so.

so as you accelerate harder, your air/fuel mix is richer (to provide max power) as well as the fact the engine is moving more air as it is revving harder.

a 2.0L engine running at stoichiometric air/fuel ratio (14.7:1) will use half the fuel of a 4.0L engine running at the same revs, in theory (im talking about running them on a bench, not in a vehicle, which adds a lot more complications)

is that sort of what you wanted?

thats off the top of my head late at night - you could try www.howstuffworks.com it might have some good stuff.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 07:29   #4 (permalink)

Fuel Economy and Cylinders
No 1 The load, the loading cycle(use) and gearing contriubute more to the fuel consumption figures than the capacity and number of cylinders by itself. Cylinders numbers are based on the amount of acceptable 'power pulses' per crankshaft cycle and drivetrain tolerance. One cylinder engines can be more efficient than multi-cylinder layouts for example, but the workload(task) define the layout and capacity, but in the motor car marketing is the determing factor more than anything else! Different engines have diverse roles to fulfil and cannot be objectively compared readily unless they are of a similar working(task, role) group.

Driving Style
No 2 Similar in answer to No 1 the load for an engine and it's gearing and it's use govern it's general working efficiency.

Driving style can be a variable load unlike a generator(static engine) which has constant load and load cycle.
Driving in a manner that is appropriate to the driving conditions at hand i.e, by using the correct gears and momentum(enhanced driving style) as opposed to 'overworking' by over extending the motor and driveline for the amount of work(loading) required at that given moment.

Engine Condition
No 3 Scheduled servicing and types of loads and load cycles effect the way in which a motor carries it's age, obviously. For instance diesel's last longer than petrol but two strokes last the least longest when major overhauling is to be considered. How the motor was originally bedded in and was the engine tied to the correct task throughout it's working life and treated accordingly.

On another note look at what a particular engine burns. Diesel, petrol, lpg, ethanol etc all burn with different characteristics that will give an idea to what the engine is for or going to do(work) Basically internal combustion engines are just glorified 'air pumps'.as opposed to external combustion engines(steam trains) which create their own air pressure(steam).

Hope it's food for thought!
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 17:51   #5 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Thanks fellas

Thats basically what i was after. Lil info to help with what i had.

Thanks
Jase
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub

Related Reading: Economy Info Needed.