That's a good price, $39,995NZ ~= $33,000AU. Even though it's done that many k's, it's a damn good price!! Consider all the good bits you'd be getting, including the lovely Ghia type interior, the Momo wheel etc. , that fantastic twin caliper front brake system, the superb suspension, .... the list goes on :D
I think the EL GT was a bit underrated, and can certainly hold it's own in terms of handling and performance in general. I'd be tempted to buy this one and fit an EL XR front end, to get rid of that coal stove grille :D
And to the questions - please correct me anyone if I'm out here :eek: :D
(1) Prices over here are generally in the $45k - $65k depending on k's etc.
(2) There were 272 built
(3) The AUII was not really modelled on the EL GT, more modelled on the AUI T-Series engines ie. the intake system, head intake/exhaust flow, etc.
(4) Not certain the EL GT cam was milder than the EB, but was different to the cams in the EL1 and EL2 XR8's.
(5) GT had the same headers as the EL2XR8 (not fantastic)
(6) GT did have GT40 upper + lower manifolds.
(7) GT also had a different ECU with more specific tuning for the different intake & cam
You might want to read this review of it as well..http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content/.../review35.html
... and this... http://www.byrne.com.au/elgt.htm
Hope this helps mate!! I'd say go take a long hard look at it, I'd be very tempted :D