Embarassing Moment - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2003, 04:34   #1 (permalink)

confused Embarassing Moment

I've had my fair share of embarassing moments in my life, being dacked playing soccer in front of a crowd at high school comes to mind. Yet none of those moments compare to what just happened...

I was following my boss back to his place to check out his new car (VL Calais) with me in my 3 speed MPI EA GL and him in his VB Commodore 202. It was all going fine until we appoached a set of traffic lights just near his house, which just happened to be red. Naturally I pulled out beside him and lined up to offer a friendly race to the posted speed limit of 80 Kph. (I know some of you are thinking "oh no he didn't" right about now)

I was in a merging lane so my car was going to have to get down and boogy pretty quick to get in front of him. Lights go green and he pulls away a bit and just before I was due to merge with his lane my car was pulling on his like a 15 year old, only I had run out of road. At this stage doing about 60 and the front of my car level with the back of his. He pulled in to the right hand lane but I had backed off to get behind him safely.

The winner of the 0-80 duel... The Commodore When we arrived at his place the first thing he asked was whether I was trying or not and I just answered by burying my head in my hands. I don't have any excuse to offer

This has inspired me somewhat. Instead saving for a newer car like an ED which I had told some members I was going to, I've decided to throw my 3 speed transmission in the bin and replace it with a T5 and a new diff ratio. I reckon a push bike would beat my car in the 0-60 stakes at the moment.

Anyway, I thought y'all might like to have a laugh or just cringe at my expense

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2003, 04:43   #2 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Re: Embarassing Moment

Man.. I curse Ford for bringing out the EA with a 3 speed and 2.77 diff.

I had the same thing as you man, but the car I lost to was a 4 cyl sigma on gas!!!!!!!

Its a different story now tho

When you throw in a 5 speed and a set of gears.... it will transform your car mate.. trust me.

I'm glad you have decided on this..this day has been coming for a long time!!!

Fulley Sik Moit!!
Old 08-29-2003, 04:52   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I look at this as a bit of a wake up call. I needed this to happen to show me that 3 speed auto's and 2.77 diffs truly suck!!

I don't feel as bad knowing that you've been through the same thing Simon. It's probably something that all 3 speed owners go through at one stage or another.

Ash
Old 08-29-2003, 04:54   #4 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Mate if you think that's bad, try driving in a heavier Fairmont Ghia with a half-snapped throttle cable, the same 2.77/3 speed combo, on a hot day (when it runs like crap) with the air con on! One time I had to pull out onto a busy main road, and needed to get to the speed limit quickly to avoid holding up cars approaching from behind... but it wasn't going to happen.

Now I'm not saying I have a problem with being defeated by beaten up JB Camiras and Kia Rios, but the fact is that those cars weren't even trying.

By comparison, I recall that the 3 speed EA SVOs with the 3.23 diffs were almost as quick as the VN V6 HSVs in the 0-100 stakes. Of course they'd be unpleasant on the highway, but you can't have it both ways without going for a 4 or 5 speed box.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 05:00   #5 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Jt, now that you brought it up, have you noticed that the heat does not have as much of an effect on the cars performance since you had the 5 speed in?
It might be my imagiation, my my car seed to run cooler once the 3 speed was gone.

Also, I had my EA with a 3 speed and 3.23. It was better.. but nothing compared to 5 speed.. trust me!

DIE 2.77 diffs DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2003, 05:04   #6 (permalink)
400 kg ego

It should run cooler because the engine doesn't have to work as hard, and there is less friction in the driveline (the same reason you'd get more rear wheel kW). But my car still doesn't like the heat, and I'm hoping thermo fans will help when I have the funds.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 06:41   #7 (permalink)
w w w .eafalcon. c o m

HAHA! suck shit ash , ill have to line you up in the galant one day.
Old 08-29-2003, 18:29   #8 (permalink)

Re: Re: Embarassing Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Crazy
Also, I had my EA with a 3 speed and 3.23. It was better.. but nothing compared to 5 speed.. trust me!
So, what should I do first? The diff or the gearbox? I suppose if I went the diff first I would just try to avoid highway driving until I were able to afford the 5 speed conversion.

So, off the topic. Anyone know how much I would be looking at to have something like a 3.23 LSD or non LSD diff fitted to my car? Part two of this question, where I could have it done in Melbourne preferably around the eastern suburbs?

Ash
Old 08-29-2003, 19:09   #9 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Ash Ill swap ya diff no worries

As for the gear box I ccan arrange for that to be done cheaply too!
Old 08-29-2003, 19:52   #10 (permalink)

Re: Re: Embarassing Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
Ash Ill swap ya diff no worries

As for the gear box I ccan arrange for that to be done cheaply too!
Mate, what would I do without you? I guess I should look for a 3.23 from a wrecked EAII and then I'll call on you for some help. As for the gearbox. I've got pay off my credit card debt from buying a new computer last week and then I'll have some spare cash. Thanks Karl!

Ash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub