Engineers Certificate in Vic - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2003, 05:25   #1 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Engineers Certificate in Vic

Does anyone or is anyone an engineer?

Basically what I want to do is put a 351 Cleveland into a Cortina. Either TC/TD or TE.

What I want to know is can I get it passed? I know they pass 302's without issues. The only reason I want the 351 is I spent big $ on the 351 I have here.

I am quite happy to do whats required to keep an engineer and Vic roads happy.

Last engineer I spoke to said the max CI you can go is no more than double the CI of the factory motor. Since a Cortina's factory motor was 4.1lt a 5.8lt would be okay?

Brenden
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2003, 05:44   #2 (permalink)
spaced out

Re: Engineers Certificate in Vic

It goes by the wieght of your car cant remember the equation of hand but its some thing like the wieght of your car * 3.4 = the largest size engine you can put in
Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 17:17   #3 (permalink)

why not buy a 302 block and put all your stuff on/into that.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 18:01   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxr50l
why not buy a 302 block and put all your stuff on/into that.
$$$$$.

My engine cost me in excess of $10,000 to get done. It's only 20,000k's old. Don't want to waste more $.

For a second there, I even thought it might have been a 302 block as I had 2 Clevo's buzzing around for awhile. 1 302 which came in the XB when I bought it and 1 351 that came in an XC I used to have. I rebuilt the 351 and threw it into the XB.

If it came down to it? I'd just spend the $ on a car thats already done then swap my engine into it.

I am finding it hard to come up with the $7000 to purchase a car in NSW already done. In Vic people are asking $14,000 for the same spec'd car.

I think I've found a decent chassis and I am hoping I can build my own car. Won't save any $ but at least I'll know I built it. I can also do it bit by bit when I have the cash. Building a car without running gear will cost about $8000 inc purchase of the car excluding running gear.

Brenden

Last edited by brenx; 06-28-2003 at 18:05.
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 19:12   #5 (permalink)
Catching Bugs

brenden let me know when u r bored one day i think i might have found one for u in beaufort it was for sale in someones front yard didnt have time to stop cos it was pissing down rain when i went passed it
xbwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 19:32   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbwgn
brenden let me know when u r bored one day i think i might have found one for u in beaufort it was for sale in someones front yard didnt have time to stop cos it was pissing down rain when i went passed it
I am ready when ever you are? What is it just a Cortina or a V8 Cortina? I've found a nice Cortina resprayed/5 stud converted and 9". Just hope an engineer says "yeah it can be made to pass."

I've got the $ and permission from the boss to an extent. Just need to make sure it can be done. Don't want to build one and not be able to reg it.

Brenden

Last edited by brenx; 06-28-2003 at 19:46.
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 19:43   #7 (permalink)
Catching Bugs

this thing had big welds on back small on the front was orange big scoop 3 gauges hangiong out off the cowlingit look like it had the pipes coming out of the side but its a bit hard to turn your head in the truck and see
Old 06-28-2003, 19:44   #8 (permalink)
Catching Bugs

p.s. we take hyundai
Old 06-28-2003, 20:20   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbwgn
p.s. we take hyundai
Might be a juggle to find a good time as we're down to one car for the next month. We're both working full time hours also. We borrow the VN Commodore when we can. I wished the XB was registered right now. It really blows owning 3 cars and only being able to drive 1. Sharing just blows too.

In short the assessor said the EL was royally screwed. So minimum 4 weeks repair time.

Next Saturday is my day off and I know the Mrs is home. I have a few other days off but I don't think I'll have a car.

Brenden
Old 06-29-2003, 03:20   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

there used to be a mob called Transport Industry Con******ts (TIC) a while back. It's been a long time since I bothered about things like that but look them up, they may still be around.
Failing that, there are people with XBs and such registered with big blocks in them. PM them and ask them who they used
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub