'English-only' car yard to pay damages - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2002, 19:39   #1 (permalink)

'English-only' car yard to pay damages

from SMH

An incident at a car yard where a Spanish customer was told to ''get out" because he did not speak English should not have happened in modern Australia and was an example of race discrimination, a tribunal has found.

The Administrative Decisions Tribunal has awarded $6000 in damages to father and daughter Nestor and Varina Moreira over the incident at the Wyong car yard of Peter Robert Motors in 1999.

''This incident was most regrettable and should not occur in the multicultural Australian society of today. There are many Australians whose first language is not English, and people should be entitled to communicate in their first language when they choose. In fact, interpreters are provided to facilitate such communication in many circumstances at government expense," the tribunal members said.

The tribunal held that while the company said it was customer focused, it had no written anti-discrimination policy and gave no training about discrimination legislation. It held it liable for its salesman's actions, and ordered it to pay damages.

The tribunal heard the Moreiras had asked salesman Dennis Arndell to show them some cars for sale. Mr Moreiras, who spoke little English, began to tell his daughter in Spanish that he thought the trade-in price offered for his car was too low.

Ms Moreira said the salesman said: ''What, you don't talk English? ... Get out, get out of my car yard." As they left, Ms Moreira said ''do you know what year it is?" to which Mr Arndell replied ''Der." She said: ''You're discriminating against us" and Mr Arndell said: ''Go and dob me in."

Mr Arndell said he had no problem with the Moreiras speaking Spanish but he needed them to speak English so he could understand their objections to the car deal.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2002, 19:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: 'English-only' car yard to pay damages

Quote:
Originally posted by Falchoon
Mr Arndell said he had no problem with the Moreiras speaking Spanish but he needed them to speak English so he could understand their objections to the car deal.
what a big, steaming pile of bullshit!

the only language spoken at work should be english, but outside work, speak any language you want!

geez, are we back in the 1950s or something?
Old 05-15-2002, 22:12   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Probably wanted to know if you could fit 16 cousins in a Corolla.

I;m sorry but PC has gone too far again. This is an English speaking country and as those who've travelled to the further parts of Asia and regional Europe will tell you it is very much a case of speak the lingo or be ignored.
Whilst he didn't have to throw them off the lot he can hardly be expected to be multi-lingual when he's flogging used cars. Half of the ones in Sydney Rd can't really even manage one language properly.

Besides which how would you go driving in a country where all the warning signs are in English if you can't even speak the basics?
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 00:03   #4 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Quote:
Originally posted by russellw
Besides which how would you go driving in a country where all the warning signs are in English if you can't even speak the basics?
Amen, Russ. One of the biggest crocks of shyte is the learners knowledge tests being available in mulitple languages. For !@#$'s sake - it's you can't speak, read or write our lingo then you shouldn't be on the road at all.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 04:42   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by russellw
This is an English speaking country and as those who've travelled to the further parts of Asia and regional Europe will tell you it is very much a case of speak the lingo or be ignored.
sorry, but you're wrong about europe. most of my friends and people i associate with overseas speak 2 or even 3 languages, and are quite willing to speak english. and they speak it quite well as a matter of fact. their grammar and spelling is often better than mine! i personally speak 2 language and am intending on learning a third one.

when i was o/s i could speak english pretty much everywhere i went to and no one would ignore me. i've heard the french are absolute bastards when it comes to this though.

while you should learn how to speak the language (english) your mother tongue is always going to be easier to speak or understand.
Old 05-16-2002, 23:09   #6 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Australian is our language.. if you can't speak it, by all means enjoy your holiday here, but go home when it's over ok!!
sblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 23:22   #7 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Go to Japan and you'll find exactly the same thing. There are a lot of places that will ignore you if you don't speak Japanese.

Having a job where I travel all around the world, I have no problem with someone who can't speak english here. I get dirty when people have lived here for years without bothering to learn the language. I always make it a point to at least attempt to learn a few words of the country I'm in. It is appreciated by the locals more than you could imagine.
Old 05-17-2002, 05:50   #8 (permalink)
P1mp Daddy

Quote:
Originally posted by sblues
Australian is our language.. if you can't speak it, by all means enjoy your holiday here, but go home when it's over ok!!
im sorry to point this out, but English is the Official language of this country.

hey **** i betcha you dont speak aboriginal... why dont you **** off and go home?

If you think the Germans had won WW2 dont you think we would be speaking German right now? Of course we would be.

tard.
Old 05-17-2002, 06:15   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bigred
im sorry to point this out, but English is the Official language of this country.
hehe i was gonna say that...

even though my mum speaks english quite well, she still asks for clarification on certain words or on grammar. it's a proven fact that middle-aged people are not as responsive to new knowledge as much as younger people.

don't forget that many migrants didn't have the chance to attend language lessons because all they wanted to do was to start on a job and fend for themselves, and NOT live off the dole. for many of these people, living on the dole is a rather shamefull thing to do. i know this cuz that's my dad. he was ashamed to be on the dole so he went out and worked 14hr shifts on a construction site (including olympic park in 1998 and 1999) while mum went and did english studies. at the same time, many native australians who speak good english were living on the dole and getting my father's taxes for doing jack shit!

so, if i were you, i'd zip it and think before you talk! in the 8 years we've been in this country, we've paid more tax than a lot of people who speak good english. if it was up to me, i'd kick out the dole bludgers regardless of whether they speak spanish, chinese or english.

btw, i find some of the remarks in this thread slightly racist, and i'm sure others do to, but i'm surprised with the lack of moderation from the board management.
Old 05-17-2002, 06:33   #10 (permalink)
P1mp Daddy

Hey Nick, i suppose Dirty Ethnics™ are good for something eh such as paying taxes. I was born and bred here, parents have been here 22 years and have never recieved a cent in the way of unemployment benefits.

My University education will equip me with knowledge and skills. Which will allow me to earn money and pay tax. My sister is looking to do med and my brother... well he is still lil'.

Funny how this is a FORD forum... i wonder how many Dirty Ethnics™ put ur cars together, assembled it with their non english speaking hands. From forte to T series, its all assembled in Broadmeadows.

This isnt an issue about Political Correctness. Its about ridiculing someone for their lack of ability. Do you go up to cripples and dance... "Hey hot wheels wanna race?".

slowly but surely i think that the melting pot is slowly mixing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub