Ethanol. Will it catch on. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 19:47   #1 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Ethanol. Will it catch on.

I notice there has been alot of talk lately about Ethanol as an alternative fuel for powering the worlds car fleet.

I understand it is available at some pumps around the world now and there is a push for people to start using it.

I wonder if this will catch on and slowly decrease the use of oil and if it will be comparable with the price of petrol.

It seems to have some good environmental advantages and seems to be getting promoted in the USA.

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faqs/e85.php

Has anyone used it and what are peoples thoughts on it.

Last edited by Big Block Ford; 06-20-2006 at 19:49.
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006, 22:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ethanol. Will it catch on.

Interestingly, ethanol was one of the options for an octane booster before there was leaded fuel.

For some reason - probably the profileration of cast iron heads with valve seats cut right into the head - lead won out over ethanol even though it's octane boosting properties are way better than lead.

I think the E10 fuel is a great idea - all that stuff about eating rubber components in your fuel system are just FUD for most cars...
ZC-Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:52   #3 (permalink)
Got my 3.45 LSD!

my thoughts: Ethanol = no power = no fun. i think that anyone that likes to put there foot down and give there car a squirt will find no enjoyment out of ethanol at all. im not saying its not all bad, yea u might be cheaper or u might get a few more kms or miles but i will never try it because of the no fun factor.

Built with spanners, not chopsticks.
AU dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 21:01   #4 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

lol out here its put in ALL of the gas pumps between a few months a year when gas purchases are higher. you can feel a difference in performance even with just a 10-15% percent concentration.
more importantly it is well known around here to dry up fuel pumps, injectors and shorten valve life.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:43   #5 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

I've never used it before and didn't realise there was such a drop in performance.

Some of the info I have seen suggested there was an increase in power and torque from using it but that sounds wrong from what you guys have experianced.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:52   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Block Ford
I've never used it before and didn't realise there was such a drop in performance.

Some of the info I have seen suggested there was an increase in power and torque from using it but that sounds wrong from what you guys have experianced.
I agree with you - I tried a tank in the ZC and thought it had more power and ran cooler too...

Mind you, the ignition timing setting was a bit advanced for standard unleaded (pinging) - with the E10, no pinging, more power, cooler running...

I think E10 has a 98 RON Octane rating...

Today Tonight ran a test on 4 different fuels with interesting results:

Passing the petrol test
REPORTER: Laura Sparkes
BROADCAST DATE: October 3, 2005
Passing the petrol test

The rising price of fuel has forced many Australians to look at what really goes into the tank. We put unleaded petrol to the test against ethanol blends.

There has never been a better time to find out exactly which fuel lasts the longest.

With petrol prices hitting $1.40 per litre and the federal government's new push for ethanol, we decided to put ethanol blends E10 and E5 to the test against unleaded and premium.

Professional motoring expert Ian Luff and his personal driver trainers helped set up the test. He made sure the test was fair.

"They're identical cars, same weight, we had a mechanic come out this morning to drain the fuel tanks bone dry, they were pumped out, all the tyre pressures were exactly set the same," Mr Luff said.

"The only difference was a bit of driver weight, but that was minimal anyway."

We bought exactly five litres of each fuel type: E10, E5, premium unleaded and unleaded. To check the amount was correct, we poured it into a can to measure exactly five litres.

The test involved driving around the flat skid pan at Sydney's Oran Park.

Certified mechanic and senior manager with the Motor Traders Association David Smith said many in the industry believed ethanol gave less mileage, but he was adamant ethanol at 10 per cent would not ruin fuel lines and seals.

Surprisingly, the car using premium unleaded ran out of fuel first. Second to break down was the unleaded. Of the ethanol blends, the E5 conked out first, with the E10 victorious 40 minutes after the premium unleaded car pulled over.

Ian Luff said he was surprised because many people had said ethanol-based fuels were not efficient.

"Today the tests have shown, particularly in the vehicle I was in, the E10 went the distance, so a lot of the skeptics have to look at the rule books again," Mr Luff said.

If these results were applied to an average Australian tank of 60 litres, at current prices premium unleaded would cost about $84 to fill and drive you 758km. The unleaded car would drive 839km and cost $80 at $1.33 per litre.

The E5 - not yet on the market - was estimated to cost about $1.30 per litre and on a 60 litre tank it would drive you 974km under the Oran Park test conditions and cost $78 to fill. E10 proved the best value, costing $76.80 to fill a tank and driving an estimated 1,145km under the test conditions.

Ron Bowden from the Service Station Association said experts who claimed E10 had 2-3 per cent less mileage than unleaded might have to rewrite the rule book after more serious testing.

"I'm a little surprised," Mr Bowden said. "On the other hand, if we saw a lab test, I'd be a little happier I guess."

"That 2-3 per cent isn't really challenged," Mr Bowden said. "What we're not sure about is when you put that with petrol, you throw in the octane benefits, the benefits of the car engine, then is something we're yet to see how it goes," he said.

The Federal Government recently agreed 5 per cent ethanol blends were safe enough to be sold without any labelling. If oil companies adopted the Government's pro-ethanol policy and blended 5 per cent ethanol into their petrol, the Prime Minister himself promised to pass on the savings to consumers.

Some oil companies have begun offering E10 at service stations, but selling it for the same price as unleaded petrol.

http://seven.com.au/todaytonight/story/?id=24813
Old 06-23-2006, 19:23   #7 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

This Australian article says there is an 8-10% increase in torque but the car needs to be tuned or set up to run on the E85 and this will cost about $400. One point was manufacturers wont carry warranties for blends with too much ethanol.
http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0...-21822,00.html

If the test carried out in ZC-Cruisers post proves to be normal then it could be cheaper to run the cars on it too.

I can't help but wonder if we may see a big change happen over the next few years.

Manufacturers should carry out more testing and have vehicles set up to use it properly if there isn't much invoved in the set up.

I wonder if there are any other downsides.
Old 06-23-2006, 19:48   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Block Ford
I wonder if there are any other downsides.
It burns with invisible flame.
Old 06-23-2006, 20:04   #9 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

its the liberals messing it all up, out here "mid west usa" all conventional 2 stroke tools now are made 4 stroke minimal. by law.
u can stil run you 2 stroke motor but you cant buy a new 1 anymore.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:11   #10 (permalink)

i use e10, with no problems.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub