Ever done factory work? I need your help! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2003, 08:51   #1 (permalink)
{';'}

Question Ever done factory work? I need your help!

Seeing as my TAFE course fell through and my current part-time job isn't looking so crash hot, I have now decided to get off my arse and look for full-time work until Uni starts next year (March or so). My friend knows a couple of people working in factories earning pretty good money: $22 per hour (3pm-1am) and $26 per hour (11pm-7am). They also get double time on weekends etc. Only downside is they claim it's boring, repetitive work (packing boxes/pouring moulds etc).

Basically I am after work that requires very minimal training and fairly easy work that doesn't require loads of thinking. I'm not fussed if it's repetitive, I just want it to tide me over for a few months.

I'm really just after a few opinions, experiences and/or suggestions on working in a factory. I plan to apply through a recruiting agency (such as Westaff/Forstaff in Vic). Any advice will be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2003, 13:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ever done factory work? I need your help!

The wages sound typical of night shift etc grave yard as they say.

Try local work shops , there places that sub let casuals out to factorys

If your totally not suited to the job they normally put you some some where eles with in a couple of days .
Theres all ways a rough learning curve in any postion until you settle in. no matter what job.
just a matter of yes sir no sir , how tight would you like my arse sir , thats over the top but its what most factroy need now , no arguments or debates just get in and do it .
Do not be afraid to arsk questions befor you phuck stuff up cos no matter what how keen you are if your costing them coin ,, your gone.
Its also a pain when they give you the phone call ,, OH your not needed tomorrow ,,, no work no pay.
Theres work out there , you have to find it. I hated hearing that when i was looking ...

Last edited by slothman; 09-30-2003 at 13:16.
slothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 18:51   #3 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

yeah factory work is the way to go and it's not always boring I did factory work for about 3 years before I moved in to it.
I worked at a MMA making glass lenses for Sola optics on nightshift.
That pulled in about 470 a week after tax. Was good clean work to and not very boring.
Then I worked for Castalloy making wheel hubs for harley mags. Could be boring but I made it interesting by talking to all the engineers about metalurgy.
Then at Walkers australia.
Overtime is a great thing.
Get in to it while you can cause it's good money.
Old 09-30-2003, 22:14   #4 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

Yeah, the downside is most factory work is boring. But it's good money, and you don't have to think much, and most jobs aren't physical anymore (IE no heavy lifting).
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 22:34   #5 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

That problem is with overtime, is that the more money you think your making, the money your paying to the tax man.
I'm all for those who need the extra cash but it sucks when your over a certain pay threshold and they penalise you for it.
Sometimes its not worth the extra effort.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 23:24   #6 (permalink)

Dont forget Adecco.
I dont work for them or anything like that but from what I gather they are the biggest casual worker employer and having worked for them a couple of years ago,I can say they managed to get me a packing job quick smart when I needed it. The work is pretty boring but it gets you cash that isn't to shabby and you can leave when you like. I am pretty sure you can sign up with multiple companies.http://www.adecco.com.au

Quote:
Elena: On the day of disaster, many people gathered on this roof to see the beautiful shining cloud above the Atomic Power Plant
dcflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 00:54   #7 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

bah you'd have to earn over $1000 a week to go to the next tax threshold and unless you are consistanly in the next bracket of pay it ='s a big tax return.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:03   #8 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Well I dont do factory work but i am in the vicinity of that $1000 threshold and I hate getting taxed whenever I exceed it. It sucks. I get an ok tax return but still its money you dont want to give up to the tax man if you dont need to. Your working for nothing in that case.

my 2c
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 02:19   #9 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

well then if your earning that much you deserve it!
;-)
Na I know what you mean though my work balances nicely no overtime but my shift loadings and bonus push it up to $48,000 per year but if my bonus goes up to much they contact me and tell me to buy stuff for work and lower my income (such as a car, pda, laptop)
When I used to work for Walkers though working a sat and a sun in overtime and the tax man would take all of sat overtime pay and most of sundays in the extra tax bracket.
Old 10-01-2003, 13:55   #10 (permalink)
darkside spy

i work at casltemaine bacon on night shift and take home around $750 p/w after tax for 48 odd hours monday - friday i agree though the tax man is a homo why should he get our "bonus" money that we work our arses off for putting in like 55+hrs a week for
qWiGyBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub