Export possabilities? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2002, 16:56   #1 (permalink)

Question Export possabilities?

something i have not seen discussed for a while is the possability of exporting falcons to the us and europe.

as i remember, falcon (and commodore) sedans were not acceptable due to the location of the fuel tank behind the rear axle. many countries require that the tank be between the axles. not sure about this, just what i have read/heard.

has anyone heard whether the ba has had the fuel tank moved?

is there any info on whether the ba has been planned/designed for export at all?
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2002, 17:06   #2 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

Yes the fuel tank has been relocated infront of the rear axle for export possibilities - as this is US requirements.
No idea about export as yet - I'm guessing not for a while.
Old 08-15-2002, 17:44   #3 (permalink)
Formerly lowercase :-)

The fuel tank may have also been moved to get a jump on Holden in the safety department.
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 18:03   #4 (permalink)

I think there maybe some cars exported to the UK, to be sold as Verde.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 18:18   #5 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

Excuse my ignorance, but can anybody tell me why the fuel tank in front of the rear axle is safer?
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 18:24   #6 (permalink)

Exports

Exports are tough for Ford because RWD cars are also developed and produced in the US. And no American company is about to hand over volume and profit to a subsidiary operation down here despite the superiority of local production. Have spent a bit of time in the US and believe me the product quality over there makes a Falcon feel like BMW.

Holden had the advantage of having the only large RWD platform in the GM world (even the cadillac had gone FWD) so exports to the middle east were a monty for them.

And as much as we all like the idea of our local products heading overseas, what does that mean for us?? What it means is..

1. Export contracts that have to be fulfilled
2. This would be done at the expense of local customers (greater waiting lists and delays)
3. Production levels higher = greater chance of poor build quality

Look at Holden now, more models running down their line at greater capacity, that means for more complexity and a greater chance of dodgy build quality. And the ALREADY have waiting lists!! So as much as I would love the idea of a Ford Export program, I don't like the idea of having to wait months for a car because Ford / Holden "can't let down the Americans"!!
RICHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 18:24   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

The safety aspects are minimal. its just one of those us laws things.. Like inidicator colours, must be amber instead of orange or something.. etc etc..

I belive exports to UK are the most likely. LHD would require whole new interior bits. Japan is a possibility as well I suppose.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 18:31   #8 (permalink)
BA Turbo

yeah, but havnt they (Holden) developed the fuel tank infront of the rear axle already for US exports

on a side note; arnt the gas falcons already hussing around as taxis in Hong Kong?
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub