Exportable Falcons - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2002, 18:45   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Exportable Falcons

Okay so its highly unlikely that the falcon will ever be exported beyond say NZ. But the engines used in the falcons might find homes elsewhere so as a thought exercise its not completely pointless. But if Ford OZ were to ever export the falcon three obvious markets exist. UK, Japan and South Africa. Simply because they are RHD.

One of the major problems with trying to break into these markets would be the size of the falcon. Okay you can't really change that, but you can make them sound smaller and a little more economical.

I think destroking the inline 6 to 3.3L would not be a unreasonable task, it would provide a more "sane" sounding engine capacity. It could also provide fuel economy benifits.

Here is what I think a export lineup should look like:

Falcon 330
3.3L DOHC 24 valve twin VCT inline 6 engine
160Kw & 315 Nm Petrol
135Kw & 310 Nm LPG * Automatic only
(Based of XT with destroked engine this model could also be sold in NZ)

Falcon 400
4.0L DOHC 24 valve twin cam VCT inline 6 engine
182Kw & 380 Nm * Automatic only
(Based off Forte or Fairmont)

Falcon 540
5.4L 24 valve VCT V8 engine
220Kw & 470Nm
(Based off Fairmont Ghia Auto only)

Falcon XR-400
4.0L DOHC 24 valve twin cam VCT inline 6 intercooled turbo engine
240kw & 450Nm
(XR6T)

Falcon XR-540
5.4L 32 Valve Twin cam VCT V8 engine
260Kw & 500Nm
(XR8)

Obviously if you could get a badge like 330 or 540 onto a car, it would have some resonance. Admittedly BMW wouldn't like it, but you can't trademark a number, and you could put a little decimal point in it.. ie 3.30 or 5.40 Hehehe.. And as these are engine capacities they would have a weaker arguement.

The 3.3L engines could be fitted with shorter diffs, or more revy cams(Peak HP ~@6100rpm) to make up a bit of the performance diffrence (i added 10kw to the scaled down power output to factor in some minor performance enhancement). If this was to occur with BA series II models, which would be lighter, the performance diffrence wouldn't be massive anyway.

The 3.3L LPG could find use in Taxi and fleet cars to help disolve some costs, as could the 3.3L petrol. YOu could try the HK taxi market again.

Given UK and NZ obsession with diesel, offering a turbo diesel ~3.x litre engine would be worthwhile addition.

Fitted with 5 or 6 speed autos and new 6 speed man, these cars I think with the right positioning and dealers involved, could indeed sell at a small volume.

Who in the UK could resist a car with 330 badging, a sweet revy i6, practical,economical, nice interior, rwd, and Vectra pricing!!!

But like I said, highly unlikely, but interesting.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2002, 18:59   #2 (permalink)
falconS

interesting case study, but as you have pointed out, the export of any car other than the R7 is unlikely. However, give Ford Oz a couple of years to regain lost market ground and build profits and you might just see them expand broadmeadows to increase production voume, much like Holden has done after 5 successful years, which would allow them to fulfill demand in the Australian market and then they could look at overseas markets.
Old 12-31-2002, 19:19   #3 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Re: Exportable Falcons

Quote:
Originally posted by IPhido
Obviously if you could get a badge like 330 or 540 onto a car, it would have some resonance. Admittedly BMW wouldn't like it, but you can't trademark a number.
Tell that to Porsche - The 911 was originally called the 901, but Peugoet objected as they have the rights to all three digit numbers with a zero as the centre digit.

Volvo's recent change in designation style to V & S was also caused after legal rumblings from both Mercedes Benz and BMW, and even that was a compromise Daimler Chrysler weren't really happy with.

You can bet your bottom dollar that BMW would defend their intellectual property rights with regards to the model identification numbers if Ford even THOUGHT about calling models 330 or 540

Cheers
Jason
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 19:28   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

Im sure there are limits, but im sure under UK law, or japanese law you can work pretty close to them.

33O or 54O perhaps? 33i? F330 or F540.. Oh ferrari most likely wouldn't like that..

How about being sneaky.. call it 3.3rdT..

However it would not be sold in these markets as Fords. The brand ford itself is a barrier in UK, Japan (you bet) and South africa..
Old 12-31-2002, 19:54   #5 (permalink)
HSV eater

Ford already exports to South Africa and Falcons are sent to England as the Verte Tempest. Verte also has plans to import the Fairlane and FPV vehicles.
Old 12-31-2002, 20:33   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

Last I heard. the Verte importers had gone bust. In south africa they only sell two models.

Oddly enough a web searched turned up that autojap.co.uk distributes the Verte in many parts of the uk
Old 12-31-2002, 21:50   #7 (permalink)
A Fully Sick " Can't "

OK, I am a bit lost hear...
Why is calling the Ford Falcon in the UK (for example) a 'barrier'?
Old 01-01-2003, 04:32   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Ford UK I belive doesn't want unoffical Ford OZ imports imported in the UK with Ford badging. Ford UK doesn't want it cluttering up its UK lineup. I belive Ford UK doesn't want to be involved in it at all.
Old 01-01-2003, 07:33   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by IPhido
Ford UK I belive doesn't want unoffical Ford OZ imports imported in the UK with Ford badging. Ford UK doesn't want it cluttering up its UK lineup. I belive Ford UK doesn't want to be involved in it at all.
dont blame them, it would be unreasnable to sell the Falcon as is. However, destroking it might be a possibility, but even 3.3 litres is a big engine in the UK.
Barra_4_Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:15   #10 (permalink)

I don't believe destroking and giving the car a shorter gear ratio would do anything for fuel economy, other than the image thing... "Oh 4 liters is massive, it must suck so much fuel, therefore I wont buy it..." Because obviously you would loose low end torque, the car has to rev harder to get the same result.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub