External DVD Burner for PC and Mac? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2004, 23:20   #1 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

External DVD Burner for PC and Mac?

I've been doing a bit of hunting for an external DVD Burner that's compatible with Mac and PC, but haven't stumbled across anything yet...

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Cheers!
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2004, 01:21   #2 (permalink)

Re: External DVD Burner for PC and Mac?

I dont see why it cant be used on both OS because if its firewire or usb they both support that or maybe it a driver thing, the only thing i could suggest is do a google search for pages in oz, but you have probably done that already
Ambrose_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 01:34   #3 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

Yeah, if you read the operating system part of it, it usually only lists one or the other.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:51   #4 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

for a pc a external DVD burner is no problem but make sure you have USB II capabilityís other wise its to slow the cheapest way to do this is you buy a normal DVD burner I would recommend a Pioneer DVD106 then you buy a external box it slips in any ide hardware should cost around $330 to complete..Donít know much about Mac's but I think they have a different interface so it might never work on both, they must have USB II PORTS tho so you need a driver for the DVD burner to run on Mac.You will also need different burning software for your Mac unless you have a windows conversion on your Mac..

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Last edited by XRFPV8; 01-03-2004 at 04:00.
XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 22:34   #5 (permalink)
Crikey

Brock, Sticky and I have a Iomega Predator USB 2.0 External CD-RW 40x12x40x External drive that according to the blurb is Mac compatible.

The small print says

PC
Pentium 2 or equivalent for minimum requirements (Pentium 3 for max) recommended with USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 connection.

MS Windows 98SE/2000/Me/XP (check www.iomega.com for latest operating system support information)

75MB hard drive space required to install Iomega "Hotburn" CD software

Mac
G4 or G3 (blue and white G3 only) or iMac computer with USB 1.1 or 2.0 connection.

Mac OS 8.6/9.0.4/9.1 (check www.iomega.com for the latest operating support information.

50MB hard drive space required......

We run a Toshiba TE2000 Laptop and with Windows 98 it ran well (photos and music). Work has just converted me to XP and I haven't used the burner since so I can't comment on its XP compatibility.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 01:13   #6 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurter
Brock, Sticky and I have a Iomega Predator USB 2.0 External CD-RW 40x12x40x External drive that according to the blurb is Mac compatible.

The small print says

PC
Pentium 2 or equivalent for minimum requirements (Pentium 3 for max) recommended with USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 connection.

MS Windows 98SE/2000/Me/XP (check www.iomega.com for latest operating system support information)

75MB hard drive space required to install Iomega "Hotburn" CD software

Mac
G4 or G3 (blue and white G3 only) or iMac computer with USB 1.1 or 2.0 connection.

Mac OS 8.6/9.0.4/9.1 (check www.iomega.com for the latest operating support information.

50MB hard drive space required......

We run a Toshiba TE2000 Laptop and with Windows 98 it ran well (photos and music). Work has just converted me to XP and I haven't used the burner since so I can't comment on its XP compatibility.

Hope this helps.

Steve
blurter... I think he is after a dvd burner though??
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 01:20   #7 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

Yeah, DVD burning is kind of a must have for DVD burners!
Old 01-04-2004, 01:42   #8 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

Well, Burners for the two systems do exist... Just a matter of finding one from somewhere local or somewhere I can trust, and equipment I can trust... Anyone had any experience here?
Old 01-04-2004, 01:59   #9 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

the one blurter listed was only a normal cd-rw though wasnt it??

good luck brockie with your search!
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 03:40   #10 (permalink)
P1mp Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
for a pc a external DVD burner is no problem but make sure you have USB II capabilityís other wise its to slow the cheapest way to do this is you buy a normal DVD burner I would recommend a Pioneer DVD106 then you buy a external box it slips in any ide hardware should cost around $330 to complete..Donít know much about Mac's but I think they have a different interface so it might never work on both, they must have USB II PORTS tho so you need a driver for the DVD burner to run on Mac.You will also need different burning software for your Mac unless you have a windows conversion on your Mac..
Yeah thats probably exactly how you would do it. These days, you can get firewire and usb cases too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub