Falcon XT Assessment - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2002, 22:55   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Falcon XT Assessment

Well it was the first time I drove a Barra Falcon in Blue Perl today. It was a good back to back comparison with the work Fairmont in Monsoon.

Engine, The initial sound in my opinion isn't that different to an AU but once after 3000rpm it sounds more racier (a nice aural tone) and revs much much smoother and cleaner than the SOHC 6 all the way to the 6000rpm redline. Perhaps this next comment is due to the lack on km's but it doesn't feel as urgent as i expected off the line. No doubt the weight plays this factor as well. But overall i can safely say that an AU XR6 is quicker than an XT.

Transmission, A nice feel on the gear detents, and the tiptronic shift is excellent though at times i'd change up gears instead of down. Just a matter of getting use to. But i can say one thing the new auto trans will not make me leave a manual. Manual feels much better by far.

Steering, The BA has a different feel to the AU's. It tracks better than the AU and theres virtually no steering kick back from bumps or mid corner bump steer. The slightly smaller diameter steering wheel felt great as well. I can also go as far as say theres abit of a springy feel to the steering when straightening out of corners, not annoying at all but just noticed it compared.

Brakes, They hauled up pretty smoothly and confidently and pedal feel was great. More km's would of determined the wear and feel compared to the AU's.

Ride, I felt that the ride is softer than even the AUII Fairmont. Does a great job to quell the thumps and bumps, much more refined than the AU but push it around a corner and theres abit of wallowing and a sense of floatiness about it. Also there was no rattles and squeeks that i heard but only decent km's will reveal if the BA is better than the AU in that department.

Tyres/Wheels, If anyone is buying an XT, ditch the wheels, they feel too narrow for the car and there was alot of tyre squeel when pushing around the corners.

But overall i think it's a very nice Falcon and yes it's better than the AU series, but i can't justify changing to the BA just yet.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2002, 23:43   #2 (permalink)

yeah i found the sedans have a rather unhurried feel off the line too but they definitely pick up as the revs increase.

noticed the same thing with the tyres as well.
they fell somewhat under tyre'd maybe its the better suspension alowing you to push the tyres to the limit while the car still feels like it could turn in harder.
whereas with AU fortes the car feels like its working as hard as the tyres are. that was the impression i got anyway
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 00:56   #3 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

I drove a BA XR6 (N/A) yesterday. I can say my AUII Forte 157kw with only mod being exhaust, feels much quicker off the line.

I was quite dissapointed with the 182kw, I thought it would have felt quicker... but anyway. who cares, the car is absolutley BRILLIANT.......
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 01:10   #4 (permalink)

hey XR_Strider_GuY

Did you notice any wind noise, and btw do you get an wind noise in your AU2 Monsoon Fairmont. I have one for work same colour and it has bad wind noise. What comp month is yours?
BIGBADAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 01:15   #5 (permalink)
Drunk Irishman

Quote:
Originally posted by jaytyn
I drove a BA XR6 (N/A) yesterday. I can say my AUII Forte 157kw with only mod being exhaust, feels much quicker off the line.

I was quite dissapointed with the 182kw, I thought it would have felt quicker... but anyway. who cares, the car is absolutley BRILLIANT.......
If you want more performance go for a Hi-po engine. Base falcons aren't meant to be fast. The torque allows them to be used for towing and carrying heavy payloads in utes but not for straight line mumbo. If people are looking for something fast off the line they wont go for a base model 6 in any make.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 01:39   #6 (permalink)
BA Turbo

hey thnx for the review XR_Strider_GuY.

how many kms had the XT done?
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 01:41   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jaytyn

vehicles vary wildly from one to another ive driven AU fortes that are quicker than AU XR6s, depend on how many kms on them and how hard they get driven. then somtimes you just get freak cars(unusually fast or slow)
so comparing a car that has done 40000km plus to a brand new one sometimes can be misleading.

oh and those unusually fast cars also seem to be very thirsty!

but that is interesting that your AU11 forte feels quicker of the line
i.e forte 157kw 3.08:1 vs XR 182kw 3.45:1diff

did you notice a difference as it got wound up?
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 02:10   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Keep in mind that quiter cars with smoother engines never feels as fast.

Your right 61sg i have seen stock AUs beat XR6s before aswell. Does come down to the points you mentioned. My brother had an AU1 fairmont with Tickford suspension that used to leave EF and EL XR6s behind.

Strider guy keep us informed if you come up against any. Either way should be very close.
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 02:44   #9 (permalink)

i think it'll feel MUCH faster off the line when the new 5/6 speed auto comes along, with *hopefully* a lower 1st gear that only does 60-65kph instead of close to 90kph. it'll feel much faster off the line and 0-100 times will drop a bit too
CurrenZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 03:12   #10 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Re: Falcon XT Assessment

Quote:
Originally posted by XR_Strider_GuY
But overall i can safely say that an AU XR6 is quicker than an XT.

Hmmmmmmm...........

Sounds like possible celebrity grudge match in the making here.

Once I get the Barra run in, I might just take you up on that statement.

Now just need to know when next TOC day at Wakefield Park takes place...
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub

Related Reading: Falcon XT Assessment