False advertising??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2002, 23:03   #1 (permalink)
falconS

False advertising???

I live in south-east queensland and the other day i flicking through a small local newspaper when i got several pages in and spotted a 1/2 page ad for the VY commodore. The ad stated the following:

HOLDEN COMMODORE- AUSTRALIA'S NO. 1

OCTOBER- 2002
New Model VY Commodore Sales- 6095
New Model BA Falcon Sales- 3662

It's results that count- we'll let the sales
figures do the talking.

Australia's most influential motor magazine had this
to report about Commodore: "Right now, Holden is
indisputably the hottest act in the Australian car
business. The lion badge brand is more popular
than in any time in its long history and Commodore
is utterly dominant in the large car segment with
a share nearing 50%" - Wheels, October 2002

WE INVITE YOU TO TEST DRIVE THE NEW HOLDEN
COMMODORE TODAY -- DISCOVER WHY IT'S BEEN
FAR AND AWAY AUSTRALIA'S BEST SELLER FOR 61
MONTHS -- THATS OVER 5 YEARS!

Now, what annoys me about this is that they clearly state that 6095 VY's have been sold against 3662 BA's.
I thought that those figure were for general Commodore and Falcon sales which includes run-out VXII and AUIII models???

If i am incorrect than i apologise to Holden for claiming these numbers, but i am sure i remember reading that we wouldnt get a clear indication of the true VY/BA sales figures until January/February.

However, one thing that amuses me regarding this ad is the invitation to test drive the VY. If i was holden i wouldnt be doing that, 'cos after they have driven a BA, the VY is going to seem pretty ordinary, hehe!

Sorry for not being able to post a picture of the ad in question but i dont have a scanner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2002, 23:18   #2 (permalink)

the main reason why VY outsold BA was due to production of the BA. Firstly its hard to get an XR6/Turbo, while its very easy to get an S or S super Six, Secondly XR8 hasnt even been realeased while there are SS's nearly at every Holden Dealership, and thirdly alot of the VY orders were based on people not even seeing the car before it was released, from a fleet perspective. Im assuming by the time more fleets are changed over, most companies will go for BA, and by the time you can actually get an XR6 / Turbo / XR8 off the showroom floor, i think Ford will win.
BIGBADAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 23:32   #3 (permalink)
aka "Mr BURNOUTworld"

It is false advertising because the VFACTS still include the VX and AU so that is utter rubbish. They can't work out how many they have sold until the VFACTS no longer include the run out models. Of that 6000 maybe 3000 are VY's. There is a reason why there are delays on the BA and not on the VY and it's called demand.
Old 12-01-2002, 23:42   #4 (permalink)

hey im not against Ford here at all, got a BA on order actually that comes in on Thursday. All im trying to do here is justify why Holdens sales figures are still marginally better then that of Holden.
BIGBADAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 10:44   #5 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

yeah actully I'm starting to notice that there are a lot more Barras around then Vy's in my area. When the Vy first came out I didn't see many barra's at all but now there every where.
I guess all the spanners that got the Vy with out thinking drove a barra then traded the Vy back in.
Old 12-02-2002, 14:09   #6 (permalink)
Currently in Brasil

It really depends on where you go i guess. SOmetimes i see more BAs (rarely unfortunately). Sometimes about a 50/50 split.. or sometimes, VERY unfortunately, way more holdens --> like yesterday on my way home on Melbounres M1 Fwy, i saw 14 Vys (all kinds, wagons, SS', calais') and only one BA. :(
ghentboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 15:19   #7 (permalink)
falconS

so is 8EHiND right or wrong? do the no.s quoted in the ad include VXII and AUIII or not?
Old 12-02-2002, 16:25   #8 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Quote:
Originally posted by falconS
so is 8EHiND right or wrong? do the no.s quoted in the ad include VXII and AUIII or not?

He is right. Numbers for October included a significant proportion of run-out models from both companies...
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 16:37   #9 (permalink)
Tony Montana - Scarface

wasn't the real figure 9000+ commodores (mixed vx and vy) and about 5500 - 6000 falcons? I remember reading that sometime ago. not sure. I will ask a mate who works at Holden. He told me Holden had their 3rd best sales months in Holden's history!!!

Digressing for a moment, when are the figures for november out?
xr8_forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 17:04   #10 (permalink)

i am mainly just a vistor at these forums reading news but thought i would post my first post here in this thread

just like to say i am a holden person but i don't get into arguments based on silly guesses and would like to congratulate Ford on what seems like an excellent car in the BA. i take a lot of interest in the Australian car industry as a whole not just my fave make holden

anyway the point is that i don't think this was false advertising as i have the latest wheels mag with me at the moment

the October sales listings are like this:

1. Holden Commodore 9667
2. Ford Falcon 5252

so it appears as if those numbers listed earlier were just for the specific models
Ben Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub