First drive - BA Fairmont Ghia V8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2002, 01:25   #1 (permalink)
Veteran revhead

First drive - BA Fairmont Ghia V8

Today I drove a BA Fairmont Ghia - 5.4L V8. This particular unit had full leather interior, side airbags and of course the V8. All up close to 60 grands worth. The car is being evaluated by my Director to replace his current vehicle. So I got my hands on the keys and put it through it's paces down here near the shipyards to see what all the fuss is about.

What I liked:
-the looks;
-the interior;
-the low rpm grunt of the engine;
-the sound of the engine - deep and throaty like my GenIII but not loud and intrusive;
-the ride;
-sooo nice to drive;
-sound system;
-everyone looking at me when I drive past;
-the build quality (generally)

What I didnt like:
-the motor seemed to 'run out of puff' at high(er) RPM;
-the shifter;
-the 'sports shift' - it's back-to-front! why?
-base coat only finish in the engine bay - looks cheap;
-airbox makes a funny hissing noise when the engine has stopped which makes you think a hose has blown.

The SOHC 5.4V8 is quite a good unit. It has a good factory exhaust note, but is also nice and quiet when just cruising along. It likes a drink, recording 16.4L/100klm, but I think that may be due to my boss giving it a bit of stick, and the fact that the engine has not yet been fully run in. The motor is a physically large unit, taking up far more space in the 'bay than the old Windsor. Looking at the space, fitting extractors is going to be a bitch of a job. But having a bit of a gander under the bonnet tells me that you could make some fairly reasonable gains with the normal bolt-on mods.

Comparing the Triton V8 to the LS1 is like comparing chalk and cheese. The Triton 5.4 is a typical Australian passenger car motor, with lots of down low grunt. The LS1 by comparison (mine anyway) lacks the down low torque and needs to get some revs on the dial if you want to move off smartly. It was designed primarily as a sports car motor for Corvettes and Camaros and needs to be revved a bit. On the flip side of the coin, the Triton seemed to run a little bit short of puff when the revs got up to the 5 grand mark. This may be because of the weight of the big Ford holding it back, or the fact that the motor only had 700 runs on the board and was still tight. Time will tell in that regard. My GenIII is deficient in the torque zone down low, but between 4-6,000 revs, it pulls like a train.

The trans as always performs well. My only bugbear was that backasswards sports shift, and I was not the only person to pick up on that. Basic human reasoning and motor skills will suggest to me that forwards means 'go' while back means 'slow'. THe same should apply to the trans shift. The shift lever itself should be better than it is, it feels light and cheap to hold it in your hand. Squeeze it and you can hear (and feel) the plastic creaking and moving. The VT shifter by comparison feels solid and substantial, whilst still being relatively small.

However, those two things pale into insignificance when you take into account the rest of the vehicle. All in all, an awesome car. Whilst it is a new model, the driving characteristics are familiar and echo the past models of Fairmonts (in a good way). The V8 is a good unit and doesnt shake the car like the old Windsor did, or the Holden GenIII. It is nice to drive, no body roll, no bouncing suspension or wallowing. It seems to be a very well made, well thought out car that makes all the right noises and makes all the right moves.

I like!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2002, 01:31   #2 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Smile Re: First drive - BA Fairmont Ghia V8

Quote:
Originally posted by Road Warrior
Today I drove a BA Fairmont Ghia - 5.4L V8. This particular unit had full leather interior, side airbags and of course the V8. All up close to 60 grands worth. The car is being evaluated by my Director to replace his current vehicle. So I got my hands on the keys and put it through it's paces down here near the shipyards to see what all the fuss is about.

What I liked:
-the looks;
-the interior;
-the low rpm grunt of the engine;
-the sound of the engine - deep and throaty like my GenIII but not loud and intrusive;
-the ride;
-sooo nice to drive;
-sound system;
-everyone looking at me when I drive past;
-the build quality (generally)

What I didnt like:
-the motor seemed to 'run out of puff' at high(er) RPM;
-the shifter;
-the 'sports shift' - it's back-to-front! why?
-base coat only finish in the engine bay - looks cheap;
-airbox makes a funny hissing noise when the engine has stopped which makes you think a hose has blown.

The SOHC 5.4V8 is quite a good unit. It has a good factory exhaust note, but is also nice and quiet when just cruising along. It likes a drink, recording 16.4L/100klm, but I think that may be due to my boss giving it a bit of stick, and the fact that the engine has not yet been fully run in. The motor is a physically large unit, taking up far more space in the 'bay than the old Windsor. Looking at the space, fitting extractors is going to be a bitch of a job. But having a bit of a gander under the bonnet tells me that you could make some fairly reasonable gains with the normal bolt-on mods.

Comparing the Triton V8 to the LS1 is like comparing chalk and cheese. The Triton 5.4 is a typical Australian passenger car motor, with lots of down low grunt. The LS1 by comparison (mine anyway) lacks the down low torque and needs to get some revs on the dial if you want to move off smartly. It was designed primarily as a sports car motor for Corvettes and Camaros and needs to be revved a bit. On the flip side of the coin, the Triton seemed to run a little bit short of puff when the revs got up to the 5 grand mark. This may be because of the weight of the big Ford holding it back, or the fact that the motor only had 700 runs on the board and was still tight. Time will tell in that regard. My GenIII is deficient in the torque zone down low, but between 4-6,000 revs, it pulls like a train.

The trans as always performs well. My only bugbear was that backasswards sports shift, and I was not the only person to pick up on that. Basic human reasoning and motor skills will suggest to me that forwards means 'go' while back means 'slow'. THe same should apply to the trans shift. The shift lever itself should be better than it is, it feels light and cheap to hold it in your hand. Squeeze it and you can hear (and feel) the plastic creaking and moving. The VT shifter by comparison feels solid and substantial, whilst still being relatively small.

However, those two things pale into insignificance when you take into account the rest of the vehicle. All in all, an awesome car. Whilst it is a new model, the driving characteristics are familiar and echo the past models of Fairmonts (in a good way). The V8 is a good unit and doesnt shake the car like the old Windsor did, or the Holden GenIII. It is nice to drive, no body roll, no bouncing suspension or wallowing. It seems to be a very well made, well thought out car that makes all the right noises and makes all the right moves.

I like!
Interesting observations.

The Sequential Sports Shift IS the correct way around when you think about it. As you accelerate, you are pushed back in the seat, and you shift UP a gear (pull shifter back toward you). As you slow down, you are flung foward (hence you press shifter foward to change down). Simple really.

I am glad you like the car.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 01:42   #3 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

The Journo's where the first to point out clearly that the shifter IS the right way around. If you look at the new tip shift boxes in other new models comming out now they are the same way around.

Older tip shifts where 'backwards' not 'forwards' like the ones you think are backwards...
Old 11-21-2002, 01:44   #4 (permalink)
goooone

Yeah I've read in some mags where they have commented that the Falcon is the right way around & most others have it backwards & I tend to agree with them
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 01:48   #5 (permalink)
Veteran revhead

hrrmm...I'm still not convinced!

Maybe I should just get over it and leave the selector in 'D':s5
Old 11-21-2002, 02:10   #6 (permalink)

Re: Re: First drive - BA Fairmont Ghia V8

Quote:
Originally posted by smciner1
Interesting observations.

The Sequential Sports Shift IS the correct way around when you think about it. As you accelerate, you are pushed back in the seat, and you shift UP a gear (pull shifter back toward you). As you slow down, you are flung foward (hence you press shifter foward to change down). Simple really.

I am glad you like the car.
The SSS felt natural to me when I drove it.
But I was thinking it would be the other way around.

If that's the way it's done is for WRC cars (Forward, down), it's good enough for us. :D
Rabnud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 02:43   #7 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

That's a great balanced review RW!

Did you get a chance to test the "power down out of corners" in your run? How does it compare to the LS1 for kickdown acceleration?
Old 11-21-2002, 03:00   #8 (permalink)
کhậ۴ţ

Re: First drive - BA Fairmont Ghia V8

Quote:
Originally posted by Road Warrior

The trans as always performs well. My only bugbear was that backasswards sports shift, and I was not the only person to pick up on that. Basic human reasoning and motor skills will suggest to me that forwards means 'go' while back means 'slow'. THe same should apply to the trans shift.
When you think about it, it's the same layout as the original sequential box. The motorcycle.

Anyway, great review and i cannot wait for the reviews on the BOSS engines come about.

shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 03:24   #9 (permalink)
Veteran revhead

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sparkle
That's a great balanced review RW!

Did you get a chance to test the "power down out of corners" in your run? How does it compare to the LS1 for kickdown acceleration?
Sparkie,

Unfortunately it didnt even cross my mind! (the power out of corners bit). However the kickdown acceleration was a bit deceiving, as it doesnt squat in the bum like my VT - it just goes. Different cars with different engines and transmissions will behave differently. Like with my LS1, if I kick it back from say 40 clicks, it will slam me back in the seat and take off; but at say 80 the kickdown is not as pronounced. Same with the Fairmont - it isnt a slam-you-back experience, but it belies the real truth which is showing on your speedo!!

I guess I was too wrapped up in admiring the interior, fiddling with all the gadgetry (colour TFT screen), enjoying the excellent ride and the nice V8 sound it made...

One other thing I noticed was that the steering was particularly heavy on turn-in to corners. Speed sensitive perhaps?

What hurts the big Fairmont the most is it's weight I think. It's a 1700-odd kilo car? So there is a bit more metal to move around than say my 1590k VT. I reckon if you could open up the exhaust a bit, and free up the restrictive airbox to get it to rev freely to redline, you'll be set.
Old 11-21-2002, 14:06   #10 (permalink)

I have recently been driving the company BA Fairmaiont Ghia but it is the 6 pack. I agree with most of your review but I found the sss auto correct way around (even the 24hr monaro was the same way if you watched the in car shots) but it took a few changes to get used to it as the other company cars are Magna's and they have reversed direction for gear change.

Actually, as a direct comparison to the Magna box, the sss works much better in the Fairmont. It doesn't try to out think you like the Mitsi box.

The ride is great, acceleration off the mark is a bit slow (weight I guess) but once it is going, acceleration is quite good. The car also feels nimble, light through the twisties.

Overall, an excellent car, as we all know, all I have do is start saving for one.

BTW, if you buy a lower model, get the premium stereo, it is really good. Heaps of bass and a clear top end.

Ford Focus: The car that flies :s6:
Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub