First service? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2002, 13:15   #1 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

First service?

I just picked up my BA yesterday (looks and drives sweet) and well the dealer said first service (oil change) at 3000km. I would have thought it would be done at 1000? What is everyones thoughts on this? Also I just have one question about the car, when I come to a stop the car has a minor smell of oil coming from the air vents (or so it seems). Is this anything to be worrying about? The car drives great (keeping it under 3000rpm). I will post pics later today when i get a chance!!
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2002, 15:45   #2 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

First ‘official’ service is actually at 15000km – courtesy of the wonders of modern synthetic oils – but they give you an optional ‘peace of mind’ service at 3000km where you can get the car checked and any little issues that you’ve found since delivery can be fixed.

As to why it’s not at 1000km, my own theory is that as most Falcons are bought as company cars for reps and such, 1000km can tend to be up in about a week or less with some of these cars, so the 3000km figure gives a bit more of a chance to check for little faults that may have been missed at pre-delivery.
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 16:02   #3 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

ok thank you for that JR. I prefer the 3000km check as you said 1000 comes up pretty quick (depending on the amount of driving you do).
Old 12-02-2002, 17:28   #4 (permalink)
Australian Member

re

The 1000Kms service is normally to drain the oil as it is a new engine and deposits can be left like metal etc. I dont know why Ford has opted for the oil change at 3000Kms. As for oil changes at 15000Kms interval Iam very skeptical. I always change the oil in my NF Fairlane every 5000Kms and service every 10000Kms. I just dont think oil has come that far that it will retain its lubricating properties for that long.
shorsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 18:52   #5 (permalink)

Re: re

Quote:
Originally posted by shorsfall
The 1000Kms service is normally to drain the oil as it is a new engine and deposits can be left like metal etc. I dont know why Ford has opted for the oil change at 3000Kms. As for oil changes at 15000Kms interval Iam very skeptical. I always change the oil in my NF Fairlane every 5000Kms and service every 10000Kms. I just dont think oil has come that far that it will retain its lubricating properties for that long.
Here in the US the recommedation is every 3000 miles, around 5500km. Yes, we have the cooler winters (and does it clunk in the below freezing mornings) but even in summer 3000 miles is the mark
Aussie_in_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub