Flawed Holden thinking? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2002, 23:06   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Flawed Holden thinking?

I wonder if Holden might be starting to lose it's grip slightly. At the moment it seems to have a fixation on power. It's shown the 6.2l chev as a concept, and the performance of some of it's test cars in recent comparisons has raised an eyebrow or two on this forum. The philosphy seems to be that " we just need more power to stay ahead". Now there is some justification to this thinking, after all, the gen III has been a large factor in the VT's sucess. But by playing silly buggers with test car they seem to accept that they can't compete in other ways, but believe a slight edge in power will allow them to hold sway. As a result journo's are complaining about the same handling and steering flaws in commies that were present in the models introduction. You can afford to do this if you have a big power advantage, but with the 220kw XRs the pwer advantage is negliable. Surely these handling flaws can't be too hard to fix? I guess your hard core holden fans won't care, but your swinging voter won't be impressed by the barina beating the commie. But when you think about recent holden concepts, which should point the way to where the company is heading, all you see is more power. Handling/steering fixes don't get mentioned
HO HO HO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2002, 23:14   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I'd have to agree - having been through the Supercar scare in the early 70's it is important that we don't create the same environment for legislators to jump on all over again.
I can't believe what we were all thinking back then (maybe it had more to do with what we were smoking) but 300 hp on poor tyres with drum brakes is scary at any speed let alone the speeds we were doing.
I'm not saying that the current crop of cars is anything like the same but the safety factors must keep up with the increases in power and I don't think the handling of the Commodore is good enough for 200kw let alone 300+. We are closing in on that point where the power is pretty well matched with handling, braking and tyre technology within the confines of road usage under all conditions and any further power increases without similar changes in the handling arena will invite trouble.
Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 14:55   #3 (permalink)

Yes, the motoring scribes are starting to realise that Holden has done all but nothing to the Commode since the introduction of the GenIII. They sure gave most of the Holden's handling characteristics a bagging in the PCOTY testing, the Monaro the one getting a little bit of praise. Maximum power figures isn't everything, you need an all round approach.
Russell.
Rastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 15:04   #4 (permalink)

I couldn't agree more. See other thread for my thoughts on HOLDENs attitude in this regard
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 18:30   #5 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

why do think the highway patrol using SS that much?are they stupid?no,police uses the easiest ,fastest,cheapest cars around,regardless of the quality or engine failures as long as it gets fixed fast by holden.
225kw,460nm fast on the highway like a bullet,does turn quite well(worse than xr but hell it does turn well!!!),uses unleaded cheaper petrol while the other uses premium.Which choice do you make?the SS,police happy with it,people are happy with it,selling like no tommorow.
Ford did have a better turning and control,not good enough for people alltogether,do you hear me Ford?NOT GOOD ENOUGH!If ford woudn't work on engine refinement,no idiot would look at it.It's a good job for the 220KW,though I was expecting it to be faster than the lazy 225KW gen III,and I was much not happy with the PCOTY readings, I'm sure Holden people are happy with even the 18th position as long as it cracks under 6 seconds!this one maybe freak car cause the twin engine cv8 was even slower than the XR.But does it matter to the buyer??no.
I need to calm down now!bah
ayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 18:37   #6 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

HO HO HO, I tend to agree but in reality they are giving their customers what they want. Which is something that is quick in a straight line that will leave the others behind at the lights.

I myself, love the Falcon as it is a good balance between power and handling. I'd love a car that does 0 -100 in 6 secs, but I also would like the car to be able to turn into a corner with confidence and be comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub