Fog lights.. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2003, 16:44   #1 (permalink)
KezzaXR6

confused Fog lights..

Having never owned a car with fog lights, when we picked up our new XR6, the salesman made a point of telling us that it was illegal to have the full headlights on with the fog lights - we could only use parkers and fog lights together.

However, I see countless XR's and other cars with full headlights and fog lights on, both during the day and at night.

Should I take the risk and is it likely to get me pulled over and fined?

I know that the XR's look way better with the fogs on and I can't see me being able to use them any time soon if I stick to the salesman's advice...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2003, 18:16   #2 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Hmmm . . . I honestly can't see how having your main lights on or off is going to make any difference in the legality of fog lights (although there is a passage in the road rule about being able to turn off your main lights if you have functional fog lights - in fog. This might be a ploy to try and convince police they are fog lights rather than "Driving lights" which are definitely illegal near other traffic ).

That said, afaik, fog lights are illegal to have on unless there are "inclement conditions" ( i.e. fog or rain ).

In any case, just *don't* be like f***** SS commodore owners who run with them on all day, every day, with every last one of them pointing upwards and blinding you . . .
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 19:38   #3 (permalink)
KezzaXR6

Wink

Righto.... well, definitely don't want to be looking like an SS driver, so I guess I'll stick to my headlights or parkers then and wait for the fog to roll in....
Old 05-19-2003, 01:19   #4 (permalink)
Not Guilty, Your Honour

Kezza. Ditch the fog lights. If i han a dollar for every time ive been blinded by some w**ker in an SS Commodore with there fog lights on day and night I would be a wealthy man.
Leave the fog lights for the fog, They are a total wank. Rant off.

Herrod XR8 ute for sale. too many extras to list.
Check it out here.

http://www.fordforums.com/f564/herrod-xr8-ute-66083/

http://www.fordgallery.com/showgalle...00&ppuser=9077
Full Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 01:22   #5 (permalink)
You can do eeeit!

Quote:
Originally posted by KezzaXR6
Righto.... well, definitely don't want to be looking like an SS driver, so I guess I'll stick to my headlights or parkers then and wait for the fog to roll in....
Good idea. I often wonder about these SS brigade types. Do they panic when they hit real fog and realise there's no more lights to switch on? Or is there a greater than even chance that these lights burn out when they actually need to be used?

3FB - The Official Site for cruising, eating and talking shite click here.

Member of the FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

3FB Mesh Bandit #2: 2002 AUIII XR6 HP _Oo===oO_
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 02:18   #6 (permalink)

What I find strange (on SS's) is that if they were real fog lights they should be angled down so as not to reflect back at the driver when actually driving in fog. You also don't want your main/low beam headlights on in this situation because of the relection back at you from the fog. Now if they are used as driving lights ( to assist with night driving for eg) it would also be illegal to have them switched on with your main headlights within the city or in street lit areas. Are SS drivers so paranoid about not being seen by oncoming traffic, or so insecure human beings that they need to be noticed in broad daylight with no cloud cover.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 07:43   #7 (permalink)
Sixth Cylinder Phreak!

The SS Commodore fog light routine again...

You know what you do when you see one? (This is for you BA XR owners out there.)

Put your lights on high beam and turn your foggies on as well.

Why do people turn their foggies on when there is no fog? Honestly...
Old 05-19-2003, 13:40   #8 (permalink)

It is actually illegal to drive with your parking lights, correctly called sidelights or postion lights, only with no main lights turned on. However in fog, real stuff, having your headlights on with the foggies can pretty much defeat the purpose of them due to back glare of the main headlights hitting the fog. Incidently, I have Narva fogs on my VS mounted ontop of the numberplate. Because they a big and mounted high people think they are driving lights despite them haveing LESS glare then my headlights. I compared them to a VX SS with fogs the other night and I reckon most factory fogs, mainly SS, seem to be more style then any real function.
Old 05-19-2003, 15:17   #9 (permalink)
KezzaXR6

Wink

Righto.... well I may just get the whole fog light button removed then! Admittedly, my last car was bordering on ricer, so I guess I've just got to see things a bit differently now with the XR6.

Thanks for the advice people!

*fully sik no more*
Old 05-19-2003, 19:31   #10 (permalink)

Picked up my new XR6 yesterday & dealer told me that the fog lights are set up so they will not blind other drivers & there was no problem with having them on (other than looking like a SS driver). Is he right or what??

Tony
XR6HOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub