Ford Escape - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2004, 17:25   #1 (permalink)
disarm you with a smile

Ford Escape

I just had a couple of questions (didn't know whether to put it in here or not) regarding the Ford Escape.

Had a look at one at the Motorshow, which i was pretty impressed with. Ive been looking at getting away from the sedan/rwd scene cos im prone to thrashing and using a lot of rubber, hopefully a car like this would keep me away from that.

I'd like to get one with a sunroof, and with leather...

Ive heard you can pick them up for around $30k.

Has anyone had any complaints or poor experiences with them? I'm just curious, cos the Territory isn't that much more, but I think the Territory is a bit too big for my liking..

Old 03-04-2004, 04:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ford Escape

I was just looking at them myself. Intended to buy the new 2.3L 4cyl auto XLS model, which is $29,990 + on roads. But at this level the interior is pretty basic, and I wanted a manual which is not available. Plus no one would talk to me at the dealership.

I guess if you buy a second-hand one, you can get the XLT or Limited model with the extras you're looking for.

BTW, I ended up with a 2004, series 2 Nissan X-Trail ST manual, which I'm totally stoked with. $32k + onroads, cruise, CD, leather wheel, storage bins *everywhere*, goes like stink and has great economy - you can leave it in 2WD, which you can't do in most others. And so roomy!

But, I can't tell you how great or bad the Escape is to own, sorry!

Cheers.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:42   #3 (permalink)

my advice dont buy a 4 cyl, i drove a 4cyl Freelander, they dont make them anymore, and it was a manual and u just about burnt the clutch trying to take off on a normal road - there was not sufficient torque to get it moving 0 and going up steep inclines for basic off-roading? Forget it. Dont settle for anything less than a 6 cyl
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:46   #4 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Christ, get the v6.

Id be test driving a pathfinder/xtrail before buying though.

Plus there is the t word (not the one ending in o) comming out june/july
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 14:39   #5 (permalink)
RACE

The 4cyl isn't bad at all actually. Go for a drive in one and you'll see that it's a good angine and performs better than most people would assume.
Old 03-04-2004, 16:49   #6 (permalink)

Amen to the Pathfinder

the 4 cyl maybe ok to moderately perform in the city - but hillclimbing? forget it - i dont care how many valves it has or VCT etc.... Theres no replacement for displacement
Old 03-05-2004, 03:58   #7 (permalink)

OK now i know what i said applies to the Ford Escape also. There is a Mazda Tribute at the Melbourne Motorshow, going around the soft 4x4 track, and launching up the hill, the motor is revving a lot harder than the others, and I am guessing it is the V6, and it is revving hard just to move up the hill, I still say V6 as a MINIMUM - it would have been nice to see the Territory take the track. To be honest with you, I suggest you consider the 3.7L V6 Jeep Cherokee - same size, more pulling power, it has high and low range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub