Ford Escape and BA Ute and Sooby Forestor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2002, 06:32   #1 (permalink)

Ford Escape and BA Ute and Sooby Forestor

I'm about to do some fleet purchasing for our company and I showed them and they liked the BA Ute - so we'll def. be getting a BA Ute (just XT, but hey, 182kw will do and probably a Ford Van.

Now, the guy we dealt with at Jarvis Ford on North East Road in Adelaide was very good (And VERY enthusiastic about the new models, I think he was loving it that finally he didn't have to work hard for the sales, they were just walking out the door.)

But my mum is also looking at getting a new car - she currently has a Prado and wants a smaller 4WD.

So I says, "No worries mum, lets get have a look at the escape." She looks at it, like it a lot, looks in the cabin.

It's a ****ing column shift? Whats that all about? She hates them (wont buy a Honda CRV because of them) and so now she wont be getting the Escape. If it had a normal auto-shift on the floor she would more than likely by it.

So we went at looked at a top spec Nissan X-Trail - very cool car, will probably end up with it.
Anyone got one and can give me some feedback on it?

The other contendor was a Sooby Forrestor, but its a 1450kg car with 112kw - the new GT model will not be available until mid next year.
Now, to me, 112kw in a car that heavy that will also be used for carrying stuff is **** all, if the GT was available (again) she would probably get one.

So, does anyone have a current spec Forrestor, and what are they like? I'll probably test drive one next week, but I just get the feeling its going to be gutless - even my mum thinks that a little too much power is better than a little too less.

So yea, if anyone with either an X-Trail or a Forrestor can give me some feedback, please do.
TheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2002, 07:06   #2 (permalink)
gfarkus

Well I've got the previous model Forrester which only has the 92kW 2.0L, and while more power is always appreciated, I've had no trouble even with it loaded to the roofline with our riding gear, 2 passengers and a 300kg trailer with 2x 100kg dirtbikes on the back. Of course 4th gear gets seen a little more often when that's the case - but that' why the 2.5 came out on the new model. It drives like a freakin' rally car on gravel roads though...

Guess it all depends on your expectations, my previous car was a crock of shyt with a 1.5L motor so the Forrester seemed pretty gutsy to me.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:39   #3 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

So many people are turned off the escapes because of the column shift.
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 09:34   #4 (permalink)

Damn straight Jayt.
And the salesguy said it was due to popular demand, I said "Yea mate, maybe in Europe and America, but not here."

Also don't understand Nissan and Toyota moving to centre mounted gauge clusters - looks shit and seem impractical to me?
Old 10-19-2002, 15:27   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis
Also don't understand Nissan and Toyota moving to centre mounted gauge clusters - looks shit and seem impractical to me?
Probably easier and cheaper for export models, don't have to have a seperate dash for left and right hand drive vehicles. I agree it looks crap.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 15:35   #6 (permalink)
gone

Hey

Im trading in my EB for a 4wd!

(main reason is I need to pack mower, and gardening tools into car)
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 15:41   #7 (permalink)

But an Escape, X-Trail or Rav4 etc don't really count as 4WD...

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 16:13   #8 (permalink)
gone

Ahh yes good point
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 05:50   #9 (permalink)

Falchoon she actually *does* need a 4WD for work - she currently has Prado and wants something smaller, but she needs a four wheel drive for cargo - which is why the X-Trail is looking good - tis a nice car, surprised the hell out of me.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:58   #10 (permalink)

just a question, but whats wrong with Colummn Shift....ive used it, and its not that much of an intrusion.
Barra_4_Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub