Ford extinguishes Falcon cigarette lighter - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2002, 19:47   #1 (permalink)

Ford extinguishes Falcon cigarette lighter

From SMH

People are smoking less in cars. At least, that's what Ford is counting on with the new Falcon, due in September.

It will join the Holden Commodore and Toyota Camry to become the third mass market car in Australia without a cigarette lighter.

As with the Holden and Toyota, the Ford's lighter socket will remain for mobile phone chargers but the lighter plug will be optional.

The Falcon also will not have an aerial or accelerator cable. The wire antenna will be replaced by an adhesive on the windows; the conventional throttle has been replaced by an electronic unit which does not require a cable.

Ford said it decided to delete the lighter, which costs about $1 a car, because "anecdotally, people are smoking less in cars".

A Sydney Holden dealer yesterday said that of the "700 or so" Commodores it sold in the past 12 months only two had cigarette lighters fitted.

Holden, which stopped fitting the cigarette lighter to the Commodore in 1997, says less than 1 per cent of customers want it.

Ford has taken the unusual step of releasing details of the new Falcon in a controversial teaser campaign using bus advertisements and the Internet site www.newfalcon.com.au.

Ford says the site has received 40,000 inquiries over the past two months, including 26 from Holden. "We were thinking about sending [Holden] a unique response but we won't," joked Ford Australia's president, Geoff Polites.

Car makers normally keep new models under wraps to maximise their impact - and minimise the decline in sales of the outgoing model. But because of the number of new features, Ford wants to break the news early.

The Falcon has long been regarded as a rugged, unsophisticated car because of its affordable but outdated components. But, after being outsold by Holden for the past five years, the new model is expected to be the most advanced ever.

The new Falcon will be the first vehicle here with height-adjustable pedals. But in other areas Ford will catch up with its main rivals with satellite navigation and electronic rear parking sensors available as options.

Ford is considering taking the unprecedented step of releasing photos of the Falcon two months before it goes on sale.

Ford is sensitive to the appearance of the new model after the love-it-or-hate-it looks of the current car. Rather than risk being sprung by unflattering spy photos, it may release official pictures.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2002, 19:52   #2 (permalink)
351 - What a magic number

Drive by wire throttle sucks. Hope the cable is an option.
The drive by wire in the newest Hilux is not much chop.
Too responsive off the mark, and just above idle the engine
tends to hunt a little. Funny as it sounds, there's no 'feel' to what the throttle's doing, and it takes a lot of getting used to.
I reckon it's a backwards step anyways....

Ed :)

HSV - I just don't want one....EVER!

My XF 3 on the tree ute is ALWAYS stuck in third......
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 19:52   #3 (permalink)

Hehe I like the 26 Holden enquiries.

I reckon it is a good move. Only hope they take the ash tray with em
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 19:55   #4 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

So what do they put there instead of the cig lighter? Just a hole? That would look crap.
Old 06-16-2002, 20:07   #5 (permalink)
On The Edge Of Adhesion

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Oath
So what do they put there instead of the cig lighter? Just a hole? That would look crap.
No, some type of plug I would think. Something that matches the surrounding console.
V8RUMBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 20:11   #6 (permalink)
RACE

It's interesting that Ford are planning to release official photos. I wonder if it'll work.
Old 06-16-2002, 21:15   #7 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Where would you plug your phone charger into ?
RAPID BA MKII GT WITH BLACK STRIPES
GT BLOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 21:32   #8 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

This is going to sound very stupid, but i'm a non smoker but like the cigerette lighter as theres at least some chrome and more often than not the only chrome bit in the car, apart from the after market mods that is.

But i don't really mind whether they get rid of it or not.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 21:39   #9 (permalink)

The stick on Rear Window Arial has got me a bit worried.
Many of the aftermarket Car Alarm Pagers have these things with em, and I actually detest using them, as they look shoddy, and tend to peel off after a few months.

Better If they Intergrate the Arial with the rear window demister lines, like the Volvo's, BMW's and Mercs.
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 21:54   #10 (permalink)

I like it... no holes in the car if you decide to get rid of the areal, and you can pretty much place it wherever you like, back or front. I like the idea of not having a cigarette lighter in the car, this will insure that there is less likelyness of a car smelling of smoke when you purchase a second hand car.
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub

Related Reading: Ford extinguishes Falcon cigarette lighter