Ford has earned it's demise - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 05:33   #1 (permalink)

Ford has earned it's demise

I just purchased a 2002 Sable with 80,000 miles on it for my daughter from an elderly family member. In the first month of ownership we've had the following problems,

>the cheap plastic parking brake sensor switch failed preventing her from knowing her mom had applied the parking brakes last time she drove it, which ruined the back brakes (partly their fault too, but I'm still making my point)

>the headlight switch knob cracked and fell off at night, and her fingers weren't strong enough to rotate just the light switch stem (was a recall item on Sables just prior to the 2002 model year, was for the same type of plastic material defect, but they fixed it on the 2002 and later cars??? please)

>coolant is leaking all over the driveway and I just found out it's from leaking/corroded freeze plugs in the engine block. HUH? Who has that problem on a 6 year old car? Lots of people who own these cars, thats who. It turns out it's a pretty well known problem according to my local Ford dealer.

>the dome light comes on and off by itself and has left her with a dead battery twice. I just learned the door ajar sensor switches are the culprit but they're embedded inside the door and inside the latch mechanism as opposed to easily accessible on the door jamb like every other car (again, I found a bonanza of other complaints)

>the windshield washer uses an insufficiently flexible plastic tube that fatigued and split wide open where it flexes from opening the hood (how many times do you think my grandfather opened the hood in 80,000 miles).

>and the seat belt shoulder harness jams (another recall that was fixed just prior to this model year)

I was able to Google every single one of these items and got multiple hits from many people with the same problems. Here's the bad part for Ford, I have the same model year Honda CRV with 192,000 miles on it sitting right next to the Sable in our driveway in perfect working order, not dripping a single drop of anything.

The American car manufacturers have had 50 years to get this right, and time is up. A month ago I was speaking out for helping the big three because I felt for the employees, but all it took was owning one of their cars, and one that's had all it's scheduled service, to see that they've blown it. Thanks to Fords poor designs, cheap materials, years of spoiled union workers, the worst economic conditions since the depression, and my new found motivation to voice my opinion to my congressman against my tax dollars going to save your crappy products, all of this should come to bear in putting you and your other big three brothers out of business once and for all. The country is already in an unemployment shambles, so the auto industry employees are going to have a much harder time getting the same degree of sympathy now as they might have a couple of months ago. Can you say good bye Ford and GM.

Jim C
jmclo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 18:46   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: Ford has earned it's demise

It's a fair comment for someone who is having problems with the product.

Ford have been trying hard to turn the poor build quality around and has been getting much better results.

There is alot of political stuff involved in the demise of the big three but I am hoping that at the very least Ford will pull through and offer a product as good as the others.
Old 02-07-2009, 14:00   #3 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

Bit late for you perhaps but a healthy move anyway!

US: Ford reduces warranty costs

3 February 2009 | Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Ford has reduced its worldwide warranty repairs costs by US$1.2bn in the past two years and the repair rate in the US is now almost half the 2004 total.

"Ford Motor Company's steady vehicle quality improvement in recent years is beginning to translate into significant savings for the company and far fewer trips by customers to the repair shop," the automaker said in a statement.

"These savings can be attributed to four straight years of quality improvements on Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles. Ford's initial quality is now in a virtual tie with Honda-Acura and Toyota-Lexus-Scion for the 2008 model year, according to the latest US Global Quality Research System (GQRS) study."

"Ford is following a set of standardised processes around the world in product development, manufacturing and purchasing with a discipline this company has never seen," said Bennie Fowler, who heads global quality.

"The last 24 months have revealed some our best quality results," said Curt Yun, director of global warranty. "Our new models have been achieving continuously declining warranty repair rates and lower warranty costs, as a direct result of our overall quality improvements."

We've reached the point where our initial quality is second to none among the full-line manufacturers," claimed Fowler. "We expect that high quality to be reflected in future high-mileage surveys as our new models age."

US: Ford reduces warranty costs: Automotive News & Comment
Old 03-18-2009, 11:21   #4 (permalink)

Now this is not good , a unhappy ford customer !
dude91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub