So who's up for a bit of this....!
A new road rally exclusively for Ford and Holden cars, which will focus the traditional rivalry between owners of both makes, has been announced to the 2004 Clipsal 500 in Adelaide.
The Ford-Holden Challenge will take a field of around 200 vehicles, split into Ford and Holden camps, from Melbourne to Adelaide via the performance heartland of Central Victoria, the Riverland and the Barossa Valley in mid-March next year.
The inaugural Ford-Holden Challenge will take the traditional high-road from Melbourne to Adelaide, via the performance and street machine heartland of Castlemaine, Shepparton, Mildura, South Australia's Riverland and the Barossa Valley.
*Exclusive Ford and Holden field split into two main teams captained by racing icons.
*Five fun days/four nights, Melbourne-Adelaide in mid-March 2004
*Cruze (non-competitive) and Competition categories for Current, Heritage and Ute Ford and Holden models.
*Separate speed, touring and social events to cater for all interests.
*Corporate platform and prime display parking during the Clipsal 500.
*Parade lap for Cruze and Competition class winners in Adelaide.
*Plenty of accommodation in Adelaide available - or make your own arrangements.
An indicative schedule is (subject to confirmation in official event supplementary regulations) :-
· Speed Loop at special venue
· 400 metre sprints
· Cruze observation lunch run
· Overnight Melbourne
· Cruze navigation
· Airfield dash
· 400 metre drags (different location)
· Skid pan gun
· Overnight Shepparton
· Riverland Ramble Fun Cruise
· Go-Whoa performance event
· Fun performance event
· Deakin Avenue Evening Cruise
· Overnight Mildura
· Special Fun Night Out
· Breakfast Run
· Average Speed Run
· Surprise Performance Event
· Grape Escape Street Party, Barossa Valley
· Overnight Barossa Valley
· Head for Clipsal 500, or optional Sprints/Hillclimb
· Corporate platform at Clipsal 500, Adelaide Special parking for Challenge entrants
· Parade lap for lucky class and outright winners
· Adelaide accommodation available on request