Ford Marketing Department (How Can We Help ?) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2003, 08:16   #1 (permalink)

Ford Marketing Department (How Can We Help ?)

After noticing the mixed results from the Marketing department over the last few years, or as we at home call them the dumb department.

Along with those that decide what options and models are available
eg, no model to match the SV8, a hot version of the 5.4 SOHC 235 kw?

No tremtec 5 speed in the Turbo, let alone a 6 speed for the XR8 or GT.

Or why there is no 300kw plus version of the Boss engine to match the GenIII.

But back to the point, what suggestions could we pass on to uncle Geoff to help market the Focus, Explorer and of course the fantastic BA range ?

EG "XR8 Pure Multicam muscle, 260killowats of pure joy with walls of torque from idle and a V8 note you drive around the block again and again just to hear "

"With race bred suspension the car magazines rave about, massive brakes to pull you up and looks that intimidate the others into pushrod oblivion, the new BA XR8 is V8 heaven on 4 wheels, welcome to Australia's first true Multicam 4 door V8 muscle car"

Or Ford Focus.

1st, Make the Turbo (AWD version as well) available
2nd, Make ads showing how fantastic the range handles, brakes & steers
3rd, Highhlight the rally bred connection between the Turbo and the rst of the range

4th, Push the Turbo, people will buy the cheaper models, but have themselves on that thier cheaper one is still related so it's ok

Here are just a couple of quick ideas, what do the rest of you have to suggest ?
redwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2003, 12:38   #2 (permalink)

Nice sentiments but marketing is a delicate balance of trying to reach as many consumers as possible.

I personally believe the XR8 will sell itself as soon as it comes out. This may explain why we haven't seen too much of it on our screens.

As far as the focus is concerned, I've seen a handful of banners up on the sides of buildings & in bus stops & some commercials but that's about it. I agree it's quite a sophisticated car, however, if you've been following the NEWS section of FF, you'll have noticed that in the US, the Focus has been one of the most recalled cars in it's automotive history. This would not make it very marketable.

Anyway, keep the ideas coming because you know the Ford shakers'n'bakers frequent these forums :)

MavSS
Old 01-08-2003, 15:42   #3 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

I'm just wondering why WASA got a Falcon ute T-Shirt sent to him yet I'm the one buying a new car (he's sticking to the TS50 for now)! No make sense!!!! he he he

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 15:44   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by mavss
I agree it's quite a sophisticated car, however, if you've been following the NEWS section of FF, you'll have noticed that in the US, the Focus has been one of the most recalled cars in it's automotive history. This would not make it very marketable.
The US has a Focus that is made in a different factory/Country to what AUS/NZ are getting.
Fireman Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 17:21   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

"eg, no model to match the SV8, a hot version of the 5.4 SOHC 235 kw?"
XR6 Turbo basically fills this market at the moment. V8 XT also fills it. However due to the XR6 waiting list, it is indeed possible that there is a XT-R or something, with a 230kw V8. However these things take time.

"No tremtec 5 speed in the Turbo, let alone a 6 speed for the XR8 or GT."
Ford basically has to run with the current gearboxs for now. It would be a fairly major undertaking to have optional gearboxes. However we might be suprised.

"Or why there is no 300kw plus version of the Boss engine to match the GenIII."
Well 290Kw is very close. Some might say engineering tolerances might allow a little bit more than 290 to escape! Its got more torque however than the Gen III CB4.

"1st, Make the Turbo (AWD version as well) available"
Half of all the Focus RS production is allocated for the UK already, it would cost XR8 money over here, and there isn't a production AWD model and will not be one in the short term.

"2nd, Make ads showing how fantastic the range handles, brakes & steers"
Hard to do under new "can't show cars driving at limits or in anyway exciting". Various bodies are now complaing about people smiling while driving and use of fast fordward video to convay speed.

"3rd, Highhlight the rally bred connection between the Turbo and the rst of the range"
If you got the turbo. A standard focus, is a little bit off the mark of say a full Rally car. This isn't the market for the Focus here anyway really.

"4th, Push the Turbo, people will buy the cheaper models, but have themselves on that thier cheaper one is still related so it's ok"
No turbo only st170.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 21:45   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

What is being discussed in this thread is Product Development not Marketing. All the poor Marketing dudes is try to make the products handed to them look sexy so that they sell.

The substandard auto in the XR6T add sure looked sexy to me.
Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 21:58   #7 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

The most humane help we could offer the current marketing department at Ford would be to take them all out the back and put them to sleep (and I mean that in a veterinary sense).

When you're working within a finite budget that's smaller then your competitors, you can't afford to waste a cent on 'high concept' arty ads that aren't beating your target audience over the head with a cars strong points.

I've said it a million times before;

They should be flogging to death Falcon's awards, performance, handling, style with follow-up ads after that short initial burst!

Play up the Euro Focus awards, strengths and WRC connection.

Mazda sells 3 times as many Tributes as Ford sells Ecapes - why? Would it have something to do with the catchy Zoom Zoom ads and the fact that you see them EVERYWHERE?

I'm going away now before they send the men in white coats to catch me - this topic drives me insane!!!!!

Cheers
Jason
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 23:02   #8 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
I'm just wondering why WASA got a Falcon ute T-Shirt sent to him yet I'm the one buying a new car
*offtopic*

Pete... does this mean you're switching to LSUG for good??

*ontopic*

This topic makes me so damn angry... They got off to a good start with the can't get enough of this add and the ute (Mmm... Boss...) - then nothing! Hello - COTY!!!

Ahhhhh!
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 00:28   #9 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ford Fanatic
*offtopic*

Pete... does this mean you're switching to LSUG for good??

*ontopic*

This topic makes me so damn angry... They got off to a good start with the can't get enough of this add and the ute (Mmm... Boss...) - then nothing! Hello - COTY!!!

Ahhhhh!
Switching to LSUG?

He is already part of LSUG with the wagon, it just means he doesn't have to be a "CLOSET LSUG MEMBER (tm)" any more.

Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 02:29   #10 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by Ford Fanatic
[BThis topic makes me so damn angry... They got off to a good start with the can't get enough of this add and the ute (Mmm... Boss...) - then nothing! Hello - COTY!!![/B]
There have been print Ads promoting COTY in the dialy news rags for a while now. Dealers have COTY posters & stuff on nearly every vehicle.

--------

I know that I get frustrated with some of the campaigns that have come from the glasshouse over the years however I think with BA they are doing reasonably well. The product is out there, it's known about now & selling well. The TV ad song is being played on commercial radio all the time which means the "Falcon Ad Song" is out there & in peoples heads.

Focus needs a bit of work however it also needs time to establish itself in the marketplace as well.

Remember all these great TV ads, print ads etc all come down to one thing... Marketing Budget. Which last I heard was a little short on funds as Ford Oz hasn't actually made any money for the last 2-3 years.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub